Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 17, 2024, 10:02:18 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

facebook versus web site

Started by gene, March 12, 2011, 03:40:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

Hello,

If I only want customers and prospects to see my work and know what new products and services I offer and such, and I do not want to sell stuff online, it seems that facebook would make more sense than a web site: not just easier to do and keep updated but easier for folks to look at.

Anyone have any experience on this topic? I would appreciate your input.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

byhammerandhand

I dropped the yellow pages ad years ago because of cost ($500/MONTH!)  At the end of last year, I even gave up my white pages listing.   I don't advertise at all  in any publications.

About all I have is a one-page web site, costing $35 a year, a "Super Service Award," from Angie's List, and word of mouth.   While the majority of my business is with recurring, commercial (B2B) customers, I still get a calls nearly every day from new clients that have found me.  I'm as busy or busier than I want to be.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

Mike8560

i just dont understand favebook? ive got a page but i never use it .
ive got a website and its easy to make and update i use gomestead and only pay less then 200 for two years many of my customers find me fro it on a google search. www.bayviewcanvas.com

www.homestead.com

sofadoc

A lot of small businesses are going the Facebook route.
It seems to me that the only people who will see your Facebook page are the people that already know about you. I mean, they have to already know your name in order to find you on Facebook, don't they?
Kinda like business labels sewn into the deck of a sofa. The only one who sees it, is already your customer.
But hey, Facebook is free, it certainly can't hurt. But will it show up on a Google search?
I don't advertise my website at all, yet I still get several good jobs a month from it.
These are just my highly UN-informed opinions. What I DON'T know about all this stuff would fill a library.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Peppy

Quote from: sofadoc on March 12, 2011, 05:28:45 pm
A lot of small businesses are going the Facebook route.
It seems to me that the only people who will see your Facebook page are the people that already know about you. I mean, they have to already know your name in order to find you on Facebook, don't they?
Kinda like business labels sewn into the deck of a sofa. The only one who sees it, is already your customer.
But hey, Facebook is free, it certainly can't hurt. But will it show up on a Google search?
I don't advertise my website at all, yet I still get several good jobs a month from it.
These are just my highly UN-informed opinions. What I DON'T know about all this stuff would fill a library.

Thats mostly true. But it does show up in google searches.

I find it's a very easy to use platform for putting pictures online. 1000 times better than phototoilet. People are comfortable with it, and will go there without a second thought. Hasn't made us a dime so far. Hasn't cost one either.
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering

jojo

March 12, 2011, 06:33:19 pm #5 Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 06:35:03 pm by jojo
Peppy,
I visited your facebook page; it is awesome! Even though I don't live in your area, I'm going to "like" it.

What sofadoc says is partially true. But say 20 of your friends like your business page. Every friend on their friend list will get a notification that their friend liked your page. So it does have the potential to spread like wildfire, in theory.

But there are other ways to advertise on facebook too. You can make your ad appear on everyone's page who lives in your city, for example. Or everyone who has the word boat in their profile. And it's way cheaper than advertising with google.

Mojo

March 12, 2011, 06:34:40 pm #6 Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 05:30:56 am by Mojo
A business web site is designed to provide info and contact info to consumers. It is a place to highlight products and services. This website is typically found through search engines. You can look at it as your storefront for your business.

Facebook is a site on the internet to communicate with others that you may already know. It should never be used to replace a business website but should be used in conjunction with a website. One reason is because it is much harder for potential customers to find you on Facebook
( versus a website ), especially through search engines.

Many businesses who have a tweeter or facebook presence do so in conjunction with a website.

Hope this helps.

Chris

jsquail

I have a facebook page and a website. I have both for several reasons. BTW, my website is still under construction so until i finish it i wont port the address.

Facebook - connects with people and their friends, and friends of those friends, and so on. It's simple and easy to advertise on. I friend all my new customers. As I work a job, I post pictures and TAG the customers name in the photo, which is the key. Tagging the customer somewhere in the photo. When they are tagged then they are now seen on their friends facebook pages. Not only does this get my name out, but also gets my work out. If you don't tag, only the friends of that facebook page can see the pictures. There are security features that allow everyone to see all the content of the page, but I'm not getting into that. My point here is tag the customers name in the work and friend him on the page. This is like word of mouth advertising, but with out the speaking.

Website - For me i did this for the guy who has picked up my card from a marina, west marine, etc. or sees my truck decals going down the road. Its an easy address to remember and they can quickly go see my work. Does it do anything for me for someone out of the area i choose to work in, no. However, for some it may.   I can put the same information and photos on my website that i have added on Facebook and vice-versa.

I have essentially targeted 2 areas of advertising . BTW I learned the tagging bit from my wife.
Gloucester Canvas
www.gloucestercanvas.com
I can be found on Facebook and Google+ as Gloucester Canvas

Peppy

Quote from: jojo on March 12, 2011, 06:33:19 pm
Peppy,
I visited your facebook page; it is awesome! Even though I don't live in your area, I'm going to "like" it.

*aw shucks* I "like" you too! <3

Quote from: jsquail on March 12, 2011, 07:01:29 pm
I have essentially targeted 2 areas of advertising . BTW I learned the tagging bit from my wife.

Good one! Also start your business as a 'Page'. Not a 'Group' or a person. It lets more people look at it.
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering

gene

Thank you for your comments, and links. They are very helpful.

I still don't know which way I will go, but I have a lot more info to help me decide.

This forum is awesome.

Thanks again.

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

TheHogRing

Hey Gene,

I agree with those folks who've stated that facebook should be employed in addition to a traditional website. That's because facebook allows for a wide range of social networking capabilities, but doesn't allow you to customize the look and feel of your online presence - which is important to building a brand.

I recommend that you do both. These days, neither option is expensive. Besides, even if you do invest $300 into a basic site, it'll pay for itself once you get 1 or 2 jobs from it.

Best of luck!

fragged8

i'm like Mike, i have a facebook page but dont use it.

I'm having great success with a website combined
with posting to lots of forums which gets you lots of google hits
if you do it right.

Rich

regalman190

I have both.

My website is great when people are doing a search on the web. Based on wording used on your web determines how far up the search your site comes. But, I also don't update my web with new pics as much as I should.

I use facebook too, because I can easily post before and after pics or "in progress" pics. And, it's just another free form of advertising.

By the way. In a search, your facebook page eventually shows up.
Regal Canvas

Exotic Leather

My website designer has built my website, and made facebook pages for a few of my products.

The website, as many others have mentioned has a lot of advantages.

If you have your own website, there is a chance for 'metadata' (behind the scenes) information in all of your pictures and pages that will go a lot further than facebook will to enhance your search engine rankings!

You should definitely look into doing both.

My designer can host your site for $75/yr which includes a domain name and unlimited bandwidth and storage for pictures, video, and whatever else you are interested in. He is affordable, charging about 1/2 the national average for design.

Contact him at curtis@curtissmeltzer.com