Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2024, 04:46:56 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Spraying Contact Cement

Started by baileyuph, August 01, 2014, 06:23:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

My business is diversified, therefore the requirement to frequently spray glue or contact cement arises. 

Curious about how and what you guys who do the same use to clean the glue gun? 

BTW, just to add, my gun is a cheap paint spray gun.  Maybe you use something better that you might share.

Cleaning the sprayer type requires expensive solvent and does take a bit of time, is there an easier approach to this issue?

Doyle

MinUph

We use a glue sprayer. I forget the name but it does still need cleaning once in awhile. Soak it in thinner does the trick. If you don't use spray glue every day you might consider spray cans.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

sofadoc

Here's the one I use:

http://www.yourautotrim.com/kgripsiphongun.html

I keep an extra case of Mason jars on hand. I switch over to a jar full of thinner, and spray some to clear the siphon tube. When the glue jar has an excess build-up of spray glue, I just replace it instead of cleaning it.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

MinUph

Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

JuneC

I have the same type of sprayer.  I just bought a metal paint can (empty) at Home Depot and occasionally a gallon of mineral spirits.  Drop the goopy mess into the mineral spirits in the can overnight, and the next morning, take it out and give it a few minutes to dry up.  Comes out bright and clean!  I usually cover the can and sprayer with a few plastic grocery bags to prevent excess evaporation.  Mineral spirits does leave a bit of residue, but I haven't found it affects the next batch of glue.  The mineral spirits can be used repeatedly before it needs replacing.  The paint cans come with covers that keep the solvent from evaporating when not in use.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

SteveA

I use spray adhesive in the can since I don't use enough to justify a gun.  However for cleaning contact cement residue I've had better luck with lacquer thinner than turps. I have a friend in a local auto body shop - they save  used thinner for washing down metal.  He'll fill an empty gallon can for me - the price is right
SA

byhammerandhand

For reference, Lacquer thinner is a mixture of various solvents whose proportions are dictated by the desired evaporation rate (i.e., retarder), solvent strength, and economics (relative costs).   It usually contains
- alcohol (ethanol,methanol)
- ketone (acetone, MEK)
- petroleum distillates (tolulol, xylene, naphtha)
- esters
- glycol ethers

All of these have different solvent strength (KB value) and some work better on certain things you are trying to dissolve than others.    But generally speaking it's going to be better than mineral spirits at dissolving things.  Sort of a shotgun instead of a .22 

If you are buying lacquer thinner, there is a cheaper version generically known as "clean-up" thinner that usually has a higher proportion of petroleum distillates.   That would probably work for gun and overspray clean up, but will not work well for diluting lacquer.

Class dismissed.  Quiz on Friday.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

bobbin

Did you learn all that at the glue seminar you mentioned some time back? 

That's very interesting (and makes complete sense when I really take the time to think about it), and using the right solvent does make clean up as easy as it can be.  I use the spray cans of adhesive for my meagre means,  but I've been reusing paint thinner for a lot of years now.  I let the solids settle out and gently pour the "clean" stuff off the top and reuse. 

byhammerandhand

Been serious about finishing for quite some time now.

I've got another round of teaching classes coming up for the remainder of the year, starting tomorrow.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

papasage

i use a  binks  spray  tank  all i have to do is clean the head because it some times start building up on the  head . all i do is spray carb cleaner on it and wipe it off . it is ready to go again . a cheep  pressure fed  guin at  walmart will work just have to refill often .i am using the head off a gun on  my  binks  tank now
just recovering 40 years