Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2024, 02:08:45 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Getting Started

Started by midwest, July 04, 2014, 04:21:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

To the question asked about enterprising in reupholstering used fruniture...........Paul said it accurately from my observation.  Several reasons, but the main reason for having something redone is belonged to someone in the family for years or it is an item that was bought by the original owner.  There are the feelings and experiences that motivate people to redo furniture, quality does play but the emotions have to be there.

Well said Paul.

Doyle

sofadoc

Quote from: midwest on July 10, 2014, 06:02:03 pm
Is it profitable to get furniture from rummage sales or estate sales, etc something really cheap and re-do?
Like Paul says..........NO!

It's a great way to get the practice you need. But profit-wise, you'll be lucky to break even (damn lucky).

Every 3 months, I haul 2 or 3 truckloads of furniture to the city landfill. Most of it is good stuff that I could've redone to sell. Doyle said it well. People won't pay enough for it unless they have some emotional investment.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

midwest

That is kind of what I thought.  I figured without them picking the fabric and style of furniture it would be a crap shoot.  Thanks.  I think I might get enough practice from family and friends.  I just have to find a sewing machine.  Any ideas of what to get and where.  Starting out I don't have a lot of cash so...

sofadoc

Quote from: midwest on July 11, 2014, 05:50:57 pm
I just have to find a sewing machine.  Any ideas of what to get and where.  Starting out I don't have a lot of cash so...
Check your local Craigslist for models such as Singer 111W, Juki LU-562 or 563, Consew 205, 206, 225, 226, Pfaff 145, 545, 1245. These are all models of walking foot machines. Some of them are older models that you might find available in the $500 and up range.

Beware though, there are a lot of non-walking foot machines on CL being touted as upholstery machines. Usually by a seller that doesn't know what they're talking about. Such as Juki DDL-555, Consew 210, 220, 230. Singer 241. 
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

kodydog

July 12, 2014, 10:45:46 am #19 Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 11:29:05 am by kodydog
We've bought and sold many used pieces of furniture. Mostly antiques. Some we made money and some just barly broke even. To me it only seems natural, being in the upholstery business, to make this a side business. Something to do during those less than busy periods.

The trick is not spending a lot for the piece initially. Pick a piece that will not have a lot of labor in it. Use remnant fabric to also save money. And use a neutral or period fabric to cover it. Also it'll take a few years experience to figure what will sell and what will not. Whats hot in antiques changes over time. Biedermeier furniture was real sought after 20 years ago. Not so much now. Lots of good books have been written on this subject.

Two years ago we entered an antique show in St Augustine. We just broke even but we were able to do some great marketing. At the show we were able to sell the wing chair in the back with an ottoman. We also sold the dresser with the diamond shaped mirror. But more important we gave out many business cards that brought us business later.

Since the show we sold the bent arm Haywood Wakefield chair covered in blue leather. We bought it for $25, upholstered it and sold it for $500.  And we sold the channel back chair in a nice neutral chenille fabric pictured front right.

We also sold a mid-century "Jetsons" style chase soon after the show. Sold it on Craigslist. You can't find furniture like this in the stores.

To find this bargain priced furniture takes a lot of time and this part is more like a hobby. I enjoy going to thrift stores, estate sales and yard sales. I don't get paid for this but I find a lot of neat stuff and occasionally an antique chair at a good price. I don't go out of my way to find this stuff. If I'm in the neighborhood and see a estate sale I'll stop. I find antique stores to be over priced and cringe when a customer tells me they just bought an antique sofa for $400.

We've also reupholstered and sold newer styles of furniture but like I said, you have to get it for next to nothing and it has to be super easy to upholster. No skirts and no welts. Upholster it in a day and sell it for less than $500. We rarely spend more than $50 for a piece

Mind you this is a side business to my upholstery business. I do this on my time not business time. I would never make it selling used furniture or antiques alone.

Also you have the whole internet to sell this stuff. The market is wide open.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

midwest

Very interesting, thanks.  That is kind of what I was thinking. I have seen furniture by the road and in yard sales.  I have not stopped but I want to finish my chair and find a sewing machine.  That is what I wanted to do to get experience and at least try and make a little but it looks like I will have to do a little research to find furniture that is worth doing and trying to sell it.  Thanks for the models.  I will do some looking into those models and see what I can find.

papasage

it is all about labor  the material is  not that much expens  . you can find  a lot of closeout @ $3.00 a yard that is 20 bucks for material with  8 hours at $75.00  per hour  to paye for  supplies and overhead expense  but no matter what color you put on a piece it is the wrong color for the one looking at to buy . i have given away  pieces that i was stuck with and some i can`t give away .
just recovering 40 years