Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 09, 2024, 01:40:35 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Always wanted to learn how to use a lathe.

Started by kodydog, September 25, 2018, 06:22:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

kodydog

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

SteveA

The lathe gives you the ability to have a work tool as well as a hobby tool.  Big bowls - unbalanced; require a heavy lathe that can dial down the speed to zero so that the lathe doesn't walk away on you when you start turning those awkward shapes to round.  A medium size lathe for under $ 800.00 can do all your spindle + finial work.  Bowl turning requires a much bigger lathe, heavier tools, and expensive chucks.  For the beginner there are amazing carbide tipped tools ( scraper tools) that are easy to get results with until you learn the cutting tools.
It's not a machine that you use often but when you need it - there's not alternative.  Mine stays set up with a face plate for disc sanding when there is no turning to do. 
SA

gene

When he hits a nail does that ruin his cutting tool? A carbide tipped tool would not be repairable, would it?

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

SteveA

September 26, 2018, 11:44:22 am #3 Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 11:49:15 am by SteveA
A nail will chip carbide - although carbide is super sharp it is also more brittle than high speed steel..  The good news is the carbide tips are replaceable on the end of the tool.
SA

gene

I had a Shop Smith many years ago. I got busy with other things in life and got rid of it. I did a few things on the lathe. A very few things. I did a couple of spindle legs. My most fun project was cedar eggs. I had a 4" x 4" cedar post from an old house and I turned eggs that you put in drawers to smell nice and supposedly keep bugs away. I was able to have at least one square nail holes with a bit of oxide stain from being in the wood for a hundred years or so in each egg.

I do enjoy watching videos of people turning stuff. The burls is always interesting, as are the resin/wood projects.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

SteveA

The lathe is a great stationery tool.  The woods you turn can make a difference - for instance cedar is more of a softer type wood - but every wood gets harder as it ages.  If you want to experience turning at it's most enjoyable level try green wood.  The shavings will come off in 10 foot lengths - you will feel the moisture of the wood - it will make it seem like you're an expert turner looking at those long shavings.
SA