Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 11, 2024, 08:37:10 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

New guy question..how often do you go through needles?

Started by UpState, March 05, 2011, 10:41:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

UpState

Haven't started any upholstery yet, still setting up the machine and ordering supplies. I see needles being sold in -100- packs :'(...how often can I expect to go through needles?

Is it more common to replace dull -or- broken needles?

Thanks

Ed

scarab29

Waht are you sewing?  I do mostly canvas and a little vinyl. I use the multirange needles in my consew machine and hardly go through them. I have only broken a couple a year !!
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

Darren Henry

You will bend and break some in the beginning until you learn their limitations (i.e = slow down crossing zippers) and if you are repairing thick, hard, or dirty covers etc...other wise , on a flat bed machine  100 would last you a very very long time. On a patcher (shoe repair sewing machine ) or a cylinder bed machine---- stock up.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

sofadoc

I remember someone on this forum saying that they change the needle after every big job.
I probably should change the needle a lot more often than I do.
But generally, I leave well enough alone.
I only break 1 or 2 a year. And anytime I ask myself "When was the last time I changed the needle?", I know that it's time to change it.
You'll probably go through more needles in your first 2 years, than the next 10.
Yeah, a 100 will last a LONG time.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mojo

Quote from: UpState on March 05, 2011, 10:41:54 am
Haven't started any upholstery yet, still setting up the machine and ordering supplies. I see needles being sold in -100- packs :'(...how often can I expect to go through needles?

Is it more common to replace dull -or- broken needles?

Thanks

Ed

Ed:

I would consider buying smaller quantities and then buy in several different sizes. The most popular seem to be  Size 16, 18, 20 and 22.

100 needles would last you a lifetime. :)

Buy a variety instead of a huge number of one size. I change needles whenever changing to different material. Some of what I sew requires a 22 and other times I only need a 16.

I change needles and throw the old ones out unless I just changed a needle and have little time on it. Then I will re-use it.

Like Darren said, you WILL break a few needles..........It will happen. :)

Chris

Mike8560

March 05, 2011, 03:04:50 pm #5 Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 07:39:19 pm by Mike8560
I do marine canvas  and  marine upholstery
i don't break many needle they break before I notice if it's dull.
I've almost gone through two boxs I would just get one box.  

ps that was 2 boxes in 25 years

UpState

Mojo

I have been doing as you suggested...buying quantities of -10- in various sizes 18-22. Coming across those "100 packs" just made me curious as to what I should expect in the future!!!  I'm  in the "ask many questions mode" right now and really can't get started until I finish my shop in the next couple of weeks.  Seems like Winter just won't quit up here.

Thanks to all of you folks...
Ed

JuneC

I check my needle VERY regularly.  Whenever I get a burr, out it goes.  I can usually hear it as I sew - the fabric will make a very little "tic tic" noise as the needle pulls up through the fabric.  The burr catches the fabric fibers and makes a larger hole than necessary.  I've only ever broken 1 needle in regular sewing, ruined 1 on my finger, but have gone through 3 boxes of 100 in 5 years. 

What I do to check for burrs is run the edge of my seam ripper down the needle and off the point on all sides.  It'll catch or you'll feel a little bump if there's a burr.  You usually can't see them unless it's really bad.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mojo

Quote from: JuneC on March 05, 2011, 05:16:59 pm
I check my needle VERY regularly.  Whenever I get a burr, out it goes.  I can usually hear it as I sew - the fabric will make a very little "tic tic" noise as the needle pulls up through the fabric. 

June

Between you and Darren I now spend a lot of time sewing and listening............lol.....

Darren had said you will hear a slight rattle when the bobbin is just about to run out of thread. Of course I thought that maybe it was something in his head rattling ( considering how old he is ). Turns out I started listening and by Gosh the old man was right. :)

Now you talk about this tic-tic thingie and I heard that same noise last week. I was wondering what that noise was. It went away after I changed the needle and thread over but never knew the tic was from the needle. Now I know.

Speaking of noises........ Did you know if you hear a loud hammering coming from your machine that means something is ready to break ? I heard that noise several times with my old Tuffsew and by gosh I was right. Something always broke. :)

And while we are on the subject of noises. Do you know that when the pitch of your wife's voice changes upward it means you pushed the wrong button and pissed her off ? I know this sound very well. Have made that mistake several times. :)

Chris

Mike8560

March 06, 2011, 06:42:12 am #9 Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 06:35:54 pm by Mike8560
What you reallymhave to watch out for Chris after her voice goes hi is if your voice dose also that can realy hurt !

Edited for I phone keyboard typos

Darren Henry

QuoteI'm  in the "ask many questions mode"

The you have definitely come to the right place. You'll not find a smarter or more welcoming group than those here. We're like the country music song where ♫ the chev showed up to get the dodge unstuck which eventually pulled out the ford.♫

Chris you slay me yet again ROFL. You do remember, though, from your previous life as ground pounder that a high pitched whistle is much prefered to the sudden silence just before the round impacts.

June, I'd never even considered that until now. I'll have to look and listen this week.

QuoteI've only ever broken 1 needle in regular sewing, ruined 1 on my finger,

I'm still not sure how you managed to get bit by that one but I'm glad all healed well. If you ever get a patcher; keep bandaids,a screwdriver and side cutters with reach of your right hand ( you normally get stabbed in the left, at least I do).

Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

NDAV8R

I also use the sound method like Chris, if it makes a tapping sound, out it goes.

I install a new needle when I starting a job sewing 1/16" (or any thickness) Lexan or Plastic.
I install a new needle after sewing a large Carpet binding job.

If you tug or force your material in or around corners you could bend the needle high up in the shank with out noticing it. I always note the position of the needle spacing as it goes through the needle plate.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned, I will occasionally check for any burrs on the needle tip by running my finger nail down the all sides of the needle shank off the tip of the needle...if you scratch your nail, replace the needle.

Gale.
Strive for Perfection...Settle for Excellence!

Mike8560

Quote from: NDAV8R on March 06, 2011, 08:33:32 am
 One thing that hasn't been mentioned, I will occasionally check for any burrs on the needle tip by running my finger nail down the all sides of the needle shank off the tip of the needle...if you scratch your nail, replace the needle.

Gale.

kinda what june said , if she heres a noise sewing she will check for burrs with a seam ripper. i here when my bobbin is running low but ill listen for  burrs now also june