Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 05, 2024, 10:17:10 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Yep, there's an app (tool) for that.

Started by byhammerandhand, March 01, 2015, 02:20:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

byhammerandhand

Last week, someone posted on another forum "How many tools do you have?"    Most responses went like, "More than my wife thinks."   The best, IMO, was "If you can count them, not enough."

But just when you think you have a lot of tools, here's a new one for me, an aglet crimping tool.   (Aglet is the name of that little collar on the end of a shoelace.)

http://centeringwithfiber.blogspot.com/2011/06/more-saori-woven-sandal-straps.html

See. honey, I don't have every tool ever made.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

brmax

Heres one I have been without for 5 years and now need/require "seriously" your gonna flip when ya here its a requirement, some lower priced ones have been avail for a bit. I had a Matco many moons ago and now need this for my old or some other projects ( believe me it and other new cars & trucks since 2000) im sick without the ability to get it done and get back to my new enjoyable task messin with the JUKI

this pulls a vacuum on the cooling system "eliminating air pockets" which have been whoopin my az this past month on a diesel 
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41bYk142miL.jpg

Rich

Where do you buy the aglets? I guess the same place where you get the aglet crimping tool huh?
Of course it would be a luxury for me, but every time I get a new pair of sneakers, the laces seem to grow in length as I wear them (they're too long to begin with as well). What I do, is cut them down in the middle to preserve the ends, but with this tool, I could actually save the unlacing, cut the ends and add new aglets!
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

byhammerandhand

The last few shoes I bought had laces about a foot too long.   I cut the ends and soaked the last 1/2" in glue.   I used Titebond III, but I think SuperGlue might have been even better.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

gene

Here's a link my son sent me today that touches on the tools topic and also is about a guy making a living with custom wood work that touches on Doyles post about such things.

http://www.core77.com/posts/31489/Tools-That-Change-the-Way-We-Design-namp-Build-Jory-Brigham-on-the-Festool-Dominos-In-Shop-Impact

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Darren Henry

Very interesting Gene. My question would be "what are the dominoes made of ? ". As many of you know, I spent the year out of trade before opening my shop working for "Old Tyme Signs" [ that's not a typo---we were that old school they spelt it that way]. We did hand lettered signs and lot of 3D and hand carved signs etc...so I have built up a fair number of blanks from rough cut eastern white cedar, mahogany, etc... and have zero faith in biscuit joints. My issue is not with slop or alignment----it's with the strength of the biscuit. I have seen so many failed biscuit joints that we never used Murray's machine and the coagulated sawdust biscuits they sell. If it was load bearing we would opt for a square shouldered tongue and groove made on the router table. 
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!