Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 05, 2024, 09:48:06 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Yardage Advice

Started by jojo, November 15, 2011, 05:34:44 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jojo

November 15, 2011, 05:34:44 am Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 05:35:31 am by jojo
Hi guys,
I'm not really a furniture person, but I need to know how many yards of fabric is necessary for this chair:

and this ottoman:

Thanks so much!

Mojo

JoJo:

I believe we have a yardage calculator in the " How to Upholster " section. Maybe I am wrong but it seems I seen one there.

Dennis, gene or Kody can give you a very close estimate if you cannot find the calculator. The problem with the calculators is that I do not believe they take patterns into account.

Best of luck. It looks like a very large chair, almost the size of a love seat. :)

Chris

jojo

Chris, it's what is called a chair and a half. Somewhere between a chair and loveseat. I checked that chart, but couldn't find this chair. I don't have the measurements, only the photo, so I was hoping someone has upholstered something like this before.
Thanks!

Mojo

November 15, 2011, 05:56:11 am #3 Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 06:11:15 am by Mojo
JoJo:

Yes they do have one there. Here it is:

]http://www.upholster.com/howto/yardage.html]

I would get Gene, Dennis or Kody's input though before ordering anything. I believe also that the fabric will play into this as well.

Chris

jojo

I have this chart, but I don't see which chair would be closest to this one  ???

Mojo

A wild guess - 16 yards. But I am not a furniture person so I could be out to lunch. I probably am. :) Of course you would have the ottoman on top of that.

Chris

JuneC

I don't think anyone's going to be able to help till you tell what fabric you'll be using.  Is it printed? Directional? What's the repeat?  Looks like a fun change!  I'd love to have the time to do something different...

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

kodydog

November 15, 2011, 07:09:17 am #7 Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 06:14:32 am by kodydog
That's a big chair. Big seat cushion, big back cushion, and tall skirt. Simi-attached cushion on the ottoman.
I'd say 8 yds on the chair 9 to be safe with a solid or small print.
you can probably get buy with 3 yds on the ottoman.

If you go with a stripe or big print like whats on it, pick up 2 to 3 extra yards.

Looks like there's going to be a lot of waste if you use up the bolt fabric. I'd make sure its rail-roaded.

15 yards seems like a lot of fabric. I can upholster some sofas with that much. But those are big pieces. and there is a lot of waste if you match the skirt like they did. And you may have some left over. Better too much than too little.

When you take the ottoman cover apart you will see on the bottom, the part you can't see when its upholstered. In manufacturing they use a different fabric to save money. It's much easier to cut that all out of the same fabric.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Mojo

Quote from: kodydog on November 15, 2011, 07:09:17 am
That's a big chair. Big seat cushion, big back cushion, and tall skirt. Simi-attached cushion on the ottoman.
I,d say 8 yds on the chair 9 to be safe with a solid or small print.
you can probably get buy with 3 yds on the ottoman

If you go with a stripe or big print like whats on it, pick up 2 to 3 extra yards

Looks like there's going to be a lot of waist if you use up the bolt fabric. I'd make sure its rail-roaded.

15 yards seams like a lot of fabric. I can upholster some sofas with that much. But those are big pieces. and there is a lot of waist if you match the skirt like they did. And you may have some left over. Better too much than too little

When you take the ottoman cover apart you will see on the bottom, the part you can't see when its upholstered. In manufacturing they use a different fabric to save money. It's much easier to cut that all out of the same fabric.

And there you go. One of the furniture experts has spoken. :)

I would love to have that chair in my living room. I could see myself all sprawled out on that at night. :)

Chris

sofadoc

I'm in line with Kody. Maybe 16 yards with a repeat similar to what is on it now.
Basically, if they're buying the fabric from me: 14 yards.
If the customer is going to furnish the fabric: 16 yards (I would then strongly urge the customer to get an extra yard or 2).
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Ihavenoname

I agree 16 yards
2 yards cushion
2 yards inside outside back
3 yards inside outside arms
2 yards skirt
2 yards back cushion
1 for nose and other

Ottoman
2 skirt
2 pillow top