Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 20, 2024, 09:24:24 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Snowfall Yet?

Started by Virgs Sew n Sew, November 15, 2014, 09:19:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Henry

QuoteDarren, do they make snorkels that long?  I'd need one about 16 inches.

Ha-Ha. No, 'cause despite Hollywood showing people breathing through 3 or 4 feet of bamboo, the max. length you can actually breath through is only around a foot. [It's been a while since I took my scuba course---can't remember if it's 11" or 13" ]

QuoteI've only seen snow once in my life---It was amazing!.

It can be---snow shoeing,snowball fights, skiing, snowmobiles etc...It can also be a P.I.T.A. Picture taking a friends sedan down to the beach next trip (your 4 wheel drive is cheating) and driving across the sand for the length of a morning commute. [BTW everyone else can't stop or steer well either]. Now remove 2" of sand the size of your parking lot at home and the area of your walkway to the door. Do this a couple of times a week or until the hole is now knee deep ( or mid thigh---teasing). BY March it starts getting REAL old.

I was only half listening to the news today but Buffalo and the rest of the area are supposed to get well above freezing very soon. The big threat now is where is that water supposed to go? Snow is an excellent insulator + it melts from the top down. So at some point that melting snow will run down through all the air spaces that make snow such a great insulator until it hits the layer that is still below freezing and become ice. Water does not pass through ice = the store drain system is "compromised ". They have to QUICKLY open access to as many street grates as possible and hope their system can move that volume of water, and haul as much solid snow away as possible before it melts. God speed and good luck to those "in the breach".

Sorry to be so long winded, but some of our members have no experience with snow/melt/run off etc... I may have a bit more "first-hand" from up here for them.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Darren Henry

We're having a heat wave. It went to plus 7 * C (45 F) today. Forecast is for just above freezing tomorrow and  just minus for Sunday with 60 % chance of flurries. SIGH-- then we go below normal again to start the week.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Mike

I just bought a pair of outboard motors from  a guy in SC so my shipper just left wensday with a boat headed to new York then after the holiday next week will return and pick up the motors today he said he hit new York snow and 19 degrees f

bobbin

Just cold and really windy (NW=cold and dry).  Living on the Atlantic coast means that "wind off the water" usually means rain/"wintery mix" but not much snow.  We often have winters that are "green" or winters where accumulated snowfall melts away before the next round. 

Mike

Quote from: bobbin on November 22, 2014, 07:16:31 am
Just cold and really windy (NW=cold and dry).  Living on the Atlantic coast means that "wind off the water" usually means rain/"wintery mix" but not much snow.  We often have winters that are "green" or winters where accumulated snowfall melts away before the next round. 
I hated those winters wen I had a new 8k sled I prayed for snow what I really hated besides the cold before the snow was the pathway all winter shoverled pathways here and there