Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 02, 2024, 07:10:43 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

need help with boat seats, please :)

Started by sunshine_n_pc, July 08, 2010, 08:40:23 am

Previous topic - Next topic

sunshine_n_pc

Just bought a deck boat - vinyl is in really good shape (still soft and pliable, no splits or tears) but the thread on the seams is starting to rot.  I am going to recover the seats.   After reading/researching I know I should use poly T90 or T92 thread.  When trying to order, I noticed it said "usually requires a commercial sewing machine".  I have a home machine - a Singer Confidence7470 - it says I can use a size 18 needle - can I use this size thread?  Can I move down to T69 thread and still be ok?  I am not going fancy, putting in as few seams as possible.
My other thought was - since the vinyl is in good shape - looks like boat was always covered/stored inside and only has about 150 hours on - it is 1998 - vinyl looks original - could I remove the vinyl and resew the seams slightly inside what is already there?  There are only 4 or 5 of the seams that have split?
Other option is I have a 1928 singer machine that I was told was an upholstery machine - but someone else said it was not an industrial machine - not sure - I do think someone used it to do upholstery at one time - hasn't been used in years and years - it was my father's - would need to spend $$ on it getting it running - motor works, but haven't a clue how to run it - needs belts.  Ideas?  Thanks a million  -  CeCe

ROGUE

Ill answer because I have gone through this myself in the last few years.  Can you do it...yes.  18 needle and 69 thread, 92 might be too much but you could try.  The problem is speed and power and stitch length, to get through the areas where seams intersect will require you to go very fast or it will stall.  You will also have to change needles a lot, and your stitch length will likely be too short which puts a lot more holes in the vinyl.  I have done some repairs on sunbrella sort of successfully with a home machine but vinyl, not so much.   You really need to be able to go slowly with control and a walking foot or it gets ugly in a hurry.   Personally, if I were you, I would remove the skins, take them to a shop with the right machine, have them stitch them up, and then re-install them yourself.  It likely wont cost much since you are doing most of the time consuming work yourself and to just restitch them shouldnt take a good shop too long.  Thats all assuming your judgement of the condition of the vinyl is accurate and they can be restitched.  Hope this helps. 

MinUph

Sunshine,
  Congratulations on the new boat. Have fun with it and be careful.
  Rouge is right your machine will probably have a hard time with multiple layers if vinyl.

If the thread on the existing covers are rotted the vinyl might be pretty well gone also. Depends on what they used to sew them in the first place I guess. More perforations will also weaken the vinyl if is old and brittle.
  My suggestion is to get a thin weight marine vinyl and make new covers. Don't make welting and this will leave you with mostly two thicknesses of material. When you run into 3 or four thicknesses walk the machine through that area. If you are going to need zippers on any cushions make the zippers out of something like sunbrella. Your needle is going to be doing allot of work for it's size so go slow and let it cool down on occasion.
  Good luck.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

sunshine_n_pc

Thank you both for your responses - we are loving the boat - just went from waverunners to a boat - until this year I had not been willing to admit I was just getting too old for waverunners - at 45 I decided that maybe a boat would be the way to go.
Surprisingly, the vinyl really is in good shape, it is soft and really no signs of wear other than the seams.  I do think it is all original.  We had a mechanic look at the boat for us, with it being a 98 we were a little leary of it - the hour counter says only 150 hours - mechanic said it was definitely accurate - the motor was basically brand new and the boat itself was in excellent condition.  We were told it was owned by the proverbial "granny" who bought it for her grandchildren :)  hmmm
I bought 10 yards of marine vinyl from Joann's at 1/2 price - only got $60 in it.  I think though that I will pull off one of the covers and try to resew the seam  - can't make it any worse :)  If that doesn't work then I will try my hand at a new cover.  I have stainless staples and an airstapler with a long neck from recovering waverunner seats.   
Thanks for all the info - open to any other suggestions or ideas -  hopefully I can finish before the oil arrives - right now we are clear in PC.   -   CeCe

ROGUE

I found things went much better on a home machine if I replaced the needle every chance I had.  $10 worth of needles was a lot better than a crash in the middle of a seam, especially if visible. 

sunshine_n_pc

I found out a little more about the Singer that was my father's - My sister-in-law's father gave it to my father - he got it from his father who had an upholstery business.  It is a Singer that I believe (according to serial number) that was made in 1928 - the model number is 95-10.  It is working, needs a couple of belts and to be cleaned up - does anyone know anything about this machine - would I be better off using it if I could get it working?

Thanks
CeCe

Mike8560

Hi cece take. Your time you should be able to rewes the seams as long as your machine can do it. We resew seams but like said allot of the work is in removing the skins first pullin all the staples. If your machine can't handle it I've got a good  repair shop for you but it's in Naples.   You need to check out stump
pass and cayo costo do you trailer or are you on a canal.
Good luck with the new boat I just sold mine best days are when you buy it and sell it.

southerncomfort

Hi,  A couple of things re your project.  First of all is the vinyl you bought from Joanns marine vinyl?  By that I mean is it protected from the suns rays.  No, I'm not anal but I've seen what the Fl. sun can do to even marine vinyl., 
  Second, try Singer.com and see what you come up with for your machine.  Lots of good help online as we all know.

Barb