Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 02, 2024, 07:27:10 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

labeling requirements

Started by lisanne, December 18, 2009, 04:08:10 am

Previous topic - Next topic

lisanne

Hello,
Are there labeling requirements for selling new upholstered or re-upholstered funiture ? I'm referring to those "do not remove......" labels that come attached to pillows, mattresses, etc.  For instance, if I want to market a fabric covered bench to the public, do I need to apply for a labeling licence from some entity such as the US Consumer Safety Product Commission ?
Thank you for any information or advice.

baileyuph

Lisa,
Good question, if you are manufacturing a new complete item, I would feel correct saying labels are required in most states.  It possibly is a federal requirement here in the US.

But, if you are marketing a replacement piece of upholstery, no fillers involved, probably not.  It would probably behove me to advise the consumer of the content anyway and the cleaning code.

Any fillers or padding that enter into the picture, I would pass on the information that is required for that item.  For example any requirement for polyurethane.

This leads me to the question, exactly how does what you will be doing fit into these scenarios?  Depending on what and where you are doing it, you might not have an issue?

Doyle

lisanne

Thank you very much for your response. Your information is helpful. What I'm making is a completely new piece of wood furniture with upholstery.  Some of my research indicates that selling to individual parties doesn't require labeling of materials, although I would still disclose to the custimer the materials used.  I am planning on selling my item(s) through a specialty furniture store so am wondering if I need to create and attach my own label to the fabric portion of the furniture (such as on a new pillow).
Thanks again for the response.

baileyuph

Lisanne,

I would get the labelling requirements from your supplier of the filler materials.  In addition, this would be a good opportunity to include labels that expresses what you do and how they can buy replacement upholstery in the out years from you.  It will set you up for the repeat coverings on the furniture.  For example, the person who buys one of your items will have a source for new upholstery for life......from you.  Just make templates and you will be set up.

This sounds like a good business in today's climate.  I think people are getting to the point that they want to buy something like that because the new foreign made stuff isn't interesting.

Work with your suppliers as starters on the content labels.  Ask them what the state requires and then express the requirement on the label.  It shouldn't be too much of a problem to get this together.

Good luck in your venture,

Doyle

byhammerandhand

Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

Rich

Please keep this under your hat; years ago, I kept receiveing letters from some state authority to submit information on my business for proper registration of the practices I employee for such things as filling materials. I kept ignoring them and since they kept coming in and the pile kept falling over, I decided to wad them up and use them for filling material. I figured of all people, they wouldn't send out anything toxic, so what the heck? Anyway, after awhile, I guess they gave up b/c the mail stopped and I had to resort to buying real filling materials to use.
Oh, BTW, I never did register, but like I said, keep it to yourself.
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

SHHR

Rich, 
The pillow police may show up and have a word with you now.

stitcher_guy

When I started my shop about a decade ago, I called our Secretary of State's office, who handles small business issues in Illinois. I was calling about altering vehicles: did I need any special permit or licensing to be able to do interiors. The guy laughed at me. He asked if I was changing the color of the car or the look. Well, no. Then I was told I needed no permits, licenses or anything else to run my shop. Just typical business number that everyone needs. And I've never been asked about materials, stuffing, any of it.

lisanne

Wow.  This is a great networking site and thank you for the input.  It was all very helpful and I got a kick out of the unencyclopedia definition. I wonder if there is a therapist around that treats "label removal anxiety" !

MinUph

Old post but what the heck.
  In NY there are what is called bedding laws. All reupholstered items must be sterilized and have a yellow tag. Shop must carry a sterilization permit. All new material must have a white tag stating the contents of the filling and that filling must be new. I was in business there for some 27+ years and saw the bedding inspector maybe 4 times. He did check. The sterilization fluid was a killer.
  Now I am in Florida and I don't see any of this. A little less taxation here I guess.

Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

gene

I recently visited another forum on another topic and every category was filled with spam. We are very fortunate that the moderators here do such a great job of keeping spam off this forum.

Thanks guys.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!