Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 17, 2024, 03:57:32 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

LED Sewing Machine Lights

Started by go_hercules, April 25, 2012, 02:37:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

go_hercules

Has anyone tried the LED lights that magnetically attach under the head of the sewing machine where the needle bar comes out?  Keystone shows them on their site as LED-6.  Looks like they would work okay but LED lights are usually so dim they are worthless.  Was hoping someone has tried them.  Thanks.

sofadoc

I've bought 2 of them from Gregg. I'm very satisfied with the amount of brightness.

The first one lasted about a year, then the wire broke off from the LED unit. There was no way to repair the wire because it broke off too close. I've been more careful with the second one. So far, so good.
It also comes with plastic clips that have magnets in them for attaching the wire to the head of the sewing machine. The plastic clips eventually break due to vibration of the machine. I've been able to secure the wire with other magnets.

So in conclusion, good product at a good price. Just be careful with the wire.

I've started using these in my regular sewing machine lamp:
http://www.elightbulbs.com/TCP-07906-2UB234-41K-Twist-Screw-Base-Compact-Fluorescent-Light-Bulb
I get the eqivalent brightness of 100 watts without the heat generated by a regular 100 watt bulb, so it doesn't burn the socket up.

With the spiral bulb in my lamp combined with the LED lights above the needle area, I'm very happy with the amount of light over the sewing area.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

go_hercules

Thanks for that info.  I think I will try one since you like yours okay.  And I will be careful with the wiring like you suggested.  Thanks again for the reply.

fingers

I have the 6-LED bar from Gregg and am pleased with the amount of light. After hearing Doc go on about the broken wire I'm gonna smear a dab of silicone where the wire goes into the fixture. While I'm at it a dab or two on the strip to anchor it in place.