Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 03, 2024, 01:13:42 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Can't find workers for the life of me

Started by JPM Coachworks, August 26, 2010, 01:12:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

stitcher_guy

I split the post because I cannot stand that stupid jumping screen. Geesh.

June. Just curious what your hourly labor rate is, and if you pay your part-timer to be there even if there isn't a big job to work on, and does he get paid to practice sewing? I only charge $49/hr. I have no margin for the learning curve (like I've said over and over, I did that route four different times, and got burned every time). If I ever again hire someone, they immediately have to be bringing in money for the shop. If we are both working on a job, I have to feel I'm not ripping off the customer to charge $98/hr. But to do that with good conscience, I can't spend any time teaching them how to be an upholsterer or do trim work, and I have to trust their work that it will make the grade. So far, that's never happened and I see a decrease in my shop's profit anytime I have someone here to help ease the load. And I'm NOT overly picky. I just expect quality work and we don't have a whole lot of Croatian immigrants around these parts with smiles on their faces. We have Bubba who stumbles in the shop asking for work because the unemployment office makes him ask three businesses a week. That is NOT what I need. I've just learned to go it alone even with large items like full-size truck bench seats. It's forced me to adopt the attitude of doing as much as I can on my own til I drop, because quite frankly there is no one out there who meets my job criteria.

I think it's a shame that a busy, productive shop has to operate with that mindset. I do the job because I love the work and I will never (knock wood) work for someone else again.

JuneC

What jumping screen?  Never seen it jump.

Anyway, my desired hourly rate is $65.  I say desired because even after doing this for years, I still tend to be optimistic in my assessment of how long a job will take and frequently underbid jobs.  He doesn't work at all when there are no big jobs - sometimes weeks with no work.  He doesn't get paid to practice, but is free to use the shop whenever he wants to.  He gets paid well for those large jobs because it's brutal work - usually uncomfortable neck-breaking positions trying to get seats out of boats in 95 degree heat in the sun with no breeze.  Pulling staples and stapling on new skins is the easy part of his job, but he only gets to do that when I'm swamped with sewing and tight deadlines. 

While he brings no upholstery skill to the table, I don't have to worry about him doing something stupid on a customer's boat since he's a long-time boater.  In these parts, you have to worry more about the liability than just about anything. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mojo

Quote from: JuneC on August 30, 2010, 06:42:53 am
What jumping screen?  Never seen it jump.

" it's brutal work - usually uncomfortable neck-breaking positions trying to get seats out of boats in 95 degree heat in the sun with no breeze.  Pulling staples and stapling on new skins is the easy part of his job, but he only gets to do that when I'm swamped with sewing and tight deadlines.  "

June

June:

I hereby withdraw my application for a job.

;D

Chris

baileyuph

[quoteJune:

I hereby withdraw my application for a job.

Chris][/quote]

Hey Chris, that is what all the young workers say. ;)

LOL,
Doyle

seamsperfect

August 31, 2010, 04:24:11 am #19 Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 04:26:05 am by seamsperfect
Quote from: JPM Coachworks on August 26, 2010, 01:12:44 pm
Hi All,

First time posting up.  Mostly been lurking around and checking out everyone else's work.  Just a quick intro, I run a shop with a friend of mine doing custom interiors and products for newer model cars (mostly sports cars).

We're located west of Atlanta but most of our business is national or international so I run the business out of a private workshop I have.
What's everybody else doing to find talent?  Anybody looking for a job? :-)

I know a guy down in Griffin, older guy that has been sewing for a long time.  His work is pretty good, last I checked he was 15 an hour.  You might be able to farm out some of your works to him as I do not think he will drive to dville.   I called him a few weeks ago to see how he is doing and he said business is slow...
Kevin

JPM Coachworks

Quote from: seamsperfect on August 31, 2010, 04:24:11 am
Quote from: JPM Coachworks on August 26, 2010, 01:12:44 pm
Hi All,

First time posting up.  Mostly been lurking around and checking out everyone else's work.  Just a quick intro, I run a shop with a friend of mine doing custom interiors and products for newer model cars (mostly sports cars).

We're located west of Atlanta but most of our business is national or international so I run the business out of a private workshop I have.
What's everybody else doing to find talent?  Anybody looking for a job? :-)

I know a guy down in Griffin, older guy that has been sewing for a long time.  His work is pretty good, last I checked he was 15 an hour.  You might be able to farm out some of your works to him as I do not think he will drive to dville.   I called him a few weeks ago to see how he is doing and he said business is slow...
Kevin

Thanks for the tip.  Unfortunately, due to the way our work is handled, things have to remain in house.  Too bad Griffin is a bit of a haul.