Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 02, 2024, 08:55:02 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Found a great deal on Quickbooks

Started by Kathy0701, August 13, 2010, 06:58:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Kathy0701

Hi,

I am not sure if this is OK to post - I apologize if it's not!  I've been holding off buying a copy of Quickbooks Wholesale & Manufacturing, because I'm currently running the free version of QB and was looking for a good deal.  Anyway, I found on Amazon that you can buy the 2010 version for $319.99, but they also had the 2008 version at only $67.00!  So you can guess what I picked up :)

I know we chatted about QB Whlse & Mfg and it seems it would work well for many of us, so thought I'd share this with anyone who might be interested.  It just came in yesterday and, of course, I haven't had a chance to do anything with it yet.

Hopefully they have plenty of copies should anyone decide to get them.  I believe they'll run on either XP or Vista.  Good luck!

Kathy

gene

NO IT IS NOT OK!!! SPAM IS SPAM!!!

But then, I'm not the moderator -  just someone who has a lot of experience acting like the South end of a North bound horse.

I use 2006. I do not use payroll so I can get away with it. I believe someone on here is still using 2002.

The thing is that QB stops supporting their software every 3 years. Last year I was no longer able to email my Estimates and Invoices directly from 2006. I would need to upgrade in order to still do that. What I do instead is save my Estimates and Invoices in PDF format, then email them to my customers from my business email account. A bit more work, but it works OK for me.

If you do not need QB's internet services and payroll services, you got a great deal. Otherwise, they will end in 2011.

A question was asked once about what tolk has saved you the most time. My answer was QB, without a doubt.

Thanks for the posting.

Gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

byhammerandhand

Executive summary:  Old versions of QB may not work on your computer.

I recently (tried) to update my computer to a Windows 7 version.

I tried installing my QB 2009 and found that it would not even make it through the install process.  I got on their web site and tried their suggested fix that did not work.   In researching, I got a lot of conflicting information as to whether or not QB'09 was supported there.   Intuit says no, Microsoft says yes, and users say yes, but it's not supported.

So I upgraded to QB 2010, even though I have already upgraded '03 to '06 to '09.

Same message, even though it was not supposed to even occur on 2010.   I got a proposed fix from a friend who's in tech support for a large company.  No difference.   Got on the Intuit user web site and got several comments for fixes about things to do that just don't work the same way (i.e., at all) in Win 7.

Now I could either pay $180 / hour for help (and who knows how long it would take to resolve,)  or pay QB a bunch of money for technical help for a year.

At this point, after  spending a week of frustration, took both the machine and QB back to the store with the liberal return policy.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

MinUph

I am running 2008 on Windows7. If you did an upgrade of Windows that is most likely the issue. Not QB 09. Upgrading an OS is not the best thing to do. A fresh install is much cleaner and will solve many issues.
  I've installed QB08 on at least three Win7 machines with no issue.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

bobbin

I don't consider Kathy's post spam.  It was simply a heads up that she found a good deal on something of interest to many of us. 

To me, spam is when those wing-dings from far away lands post long "stories" with highlighted words; "stories" that make absolutely no sense linguistically and are added to every thread on the first page.  Now that's spam. 

One man's spam is another man's ham, I suppose!

(have followed with interest the Quickbooks information, though!)

sofadoc

I also don't consider Kathy's post to be spam. She doesn't stand to profit from the sale of the product that she recommended. She's a regular contributer to this forum, not a one-timer with a bunch of nonsensical gibberish.
But I am taking Gene's opinion under advisement. In the past, I've recommended products, and suppliers that don't advertise on this website.
Maybe I shouldn't be so quick to.
Hopefully, Ken will see this, and give his view. After all , his is the only one that matters. He's paying the bills for this forum (that we all appreciate very much).
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

byhammerandhand

Brand new computer, factory installed Win7.   Still didn't install.

Quote from: MinUph on August 13, 2010, 05:59:14 pm
I am running 2008 on Windows7. If you did an upgrade of Windows that is most likely the issue. Not QB 09. Upgrading an OS is not the best thing to do. A fresh install is much cleaner and will solve many issues.
  I've installed QB08 on at least three Win7 machines with no issue.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

poppy79424

I have been using QB since 1999. Im using 2009 now. I had to upgrade my office managers computer to windows xp. she does all the bookeeping on it. Intuit was a racket going on, but so does the rest of the computer industry. I have to pay $600 a yr for my auto glass program, so QB isnt so hight to upgrade IMHO. I have an older version of QB at the front counter we use to look up prices and estimate jobs. I love QB. My office manager is a QB expert. We use it for banking, payroll, statements, and point of sale.  When this one quits working ill get the latest version.

Mike8560

Quote from: bobbin on August 14, 2010, 03:34:00 am
I don't consider Kathy's post spam. 
I think Gene was Joking. as he ended his post with
"Thanks for the posting.

Gene"

hdflame

I may be wrong, but I don't think Ken minds postings that do not compete with products on this site.  Meaning, I don't think he has any intentions of starting to sell software.  I thing Gene was just pulling our chain anyway! ;D

I appreciate everyone's thoughts on QuickBooks.  I think that even though it sounds like a good deal, I will wait till I can justify spending the bucks on the newest version.  Computers have become a necessity in our daily lives, and it seems that programmers have realized that in order to stay in business they have to write programs with expiration dates to force us into buying more from them.

It's ALL a part of the "Government Conspiracy" (Men in Black 8))to take our hard earned money! :o  We need to use fabrics and thread that dissentigrates after 3 years.  That will force everyone to pay us to re-upholster, so we'll have the money to buy new computers and programs for them! ;D

Bobby
www.riddlescustomupholstery.com
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special
BRAND NEW Highlead GC0618-1-SC
and a new Cobra Class 4 Leather Machine  ;)

Mike8560

Quote from: hdflame on August 27, 2010, 09:25:03 am
We need to use fabrics and thread that dissentigrates after 3 years.  That will force everyone to pay us to re-upholster, so we'll have the money to buy new computers and programs for them! ;D

ya now   well have a tax on tenara

bobbin

I believe the overarching concept is more commonly referred to as "planned obsolescence".  Been around for years, too, just waiting to suck in the more gullible members of society and drive the consumerism that's become the basis of our economy.  It's reached its zenith with the frenzy over the newest and latest mobile phones.  A real marketing coup!

The most important question you can ask yourself is:  do I want this or do I need this, and how badly do I want it or need it?  Neither answer is bad or wrong, but the answers can really be really important in shaping our lives and our business model. 

byhammerandhand

As much as I hate spending money on unneeded upgrades and got really frustrated with their support, at less than $1 a week, Quickbooks earns its keep with me.
Keith

gene

Hello everyone,

I was joking with the "NO IT IS NOT OK!!! SPAM IS SPAM!!!" thing. Hello!!!!!!!!

If you read the next line in that post of mine, you will see that it is an attempt at self deprecating humor.

"Deprecating". Not "defecating", for those of you who haven't had your morning coffee yet.

We get a lot of posts asking for help. We also get a lot of posts offering help, like Kathy's post. Those latter posts are the ones that make this such a great forum.

I would think that any post that touches on some aspect of our businesses would be welcome and appreciated by someone.

Gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

hdflame

Quote from: gene on August 28, 2010, 06:30:31 am
Hello everyone,

I was joking with the "NO IT IS NOT OK!!! SPAM IS SPAM!!!" thing. Hello!!!!!!!!

If you read the next line in that post of mine, you will see that it is an attempt at self deprecating humor.

"Deprecating". Not "defecating", for those of you who haven't had your morning coffee yet.

We get a lot of posts asking for help. We also get a lot of posts offering help, like Kathy's post. Those latter posts are the ones that make this such a great forum.

I would think that any post that touches on some aspect of our businesses would be welcome and appreciated by someone.

Gene

How right you are Gene!  I got a PM the other day giving me a heads up for some material on sale.  I appreciated that member thinking about me....even if they did compare me to being a cheap A$$ like them! hehe ;D

Talking about your little comment on spam, since I've changed the way I approve new members, it has dropped off quite a bit.  It used to be that they could just join without approval, with account becoming activated immediately.  Now they have to be approved by me or Ken and I still require them to activate their account after receiving an email.  I think a lot of those spam bots don't receive or read their email! :P  And that seems to be a good thing for us...at least for now!

Bobby
www.riddlescustomupholstery.com
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special
BRAND NEW Highlead GC0618-1-SC
and a new Cobra Class 4 Leather Machine  ;)