Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 09, 2024, 10:25:12 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Consew 105 needles

Started by ishkish, April 17, 2014, 01:29:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ishkish

Gentle people:
I am brand new to trimming. Just purchased an older but good shape machine, consew 105
and just starting to practice sewing seams, etc. Where may I find information as to
what needles  I may use on this machine? On the front the machine has a tag stating 16-257 needle?
Other than ball point for fabrics, is this a standard needle?
I am looking at retirement in 18 months due to health issues that won't allow me to stay in
my trade which I have been in in for 38 years. Looking to possibly learn enough to keep busy
and replace my trade.
Thanks Jerry in NJ

JuneC

Welcome to the board, Jerry.  I'm not familiar with your machine or needles, but if you Google "16-257 sewing machine needles" you'll probably come up with lots of sources.  Organ needles are good quality in my experience, but depending on what you plan on sewing, anything your machine is happy with will probably work. 

When you say "trimming" are you referring to auto trim?  Leather has a different set of requirements from upholstery wovens or vinyl. 

June 
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

sofadoc

Welcome Jerry

What type of work do you plan to do with your Consew 105?
It is not a walking foot machine.

If you plan to do auto, marine, or furniture upholstery, you will struggle with this machine. The Consew 105 is more of a garment tailoring machine.

I have a Juki DDL-555 that is a very similar class model. I only use it occasionally for lightweight fabrics.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

ishkish

Sofadoc:
Thanks for the welcome. Yes, trimming for my autos is what I plan for the short term.
The person I bought the machine from did tell me the Consew was for mainly fabric.
I did some experimenting with light weight vinyl and it will do what I want.
Now a walking foot is way down the road. As far as doing leather that is not in
my immediate plans.  So here I am practicing seams and fabric. I do have a cushion
I have to sew using fabric of the church secretaries choice once they found out I purchased the
machine.  Yep, label on machine says 16x257 needle.
Thanks for the replies.

ishkish

JuneC
Thanks for your reply. I will look for the information.

All the help here is appreciated. Counting my fingers every time I make a seam.