Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 10, 2024, 03:55:56 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

pontoon back cover + zipper

Started by Judy_Boat, April 14, 2014, 07:11:59 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy_Boat

Customer would like to have a zipper put in the back frame pocket on their pontoon boat canvas. Frame is 108" wide at that point.

The zipper would help make it easy to remove the frame from the canvas. My question is will this weaken the pocket holding the frame so that when a gust of wind comes along the zipper teeth will pop open. There is a great deal of tension in the fabric at those back upper corners of the pontoon cover.

Mike

yes I amost always have zippered pockets all the pocket need the zipper nit just the rear there shouldn't bee to much tention just enough but perhaps he has a vinyl top and it has shunk

MinUph

Just be sure to use a canvas sized zipper. Mike can tell us the size.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

timtheboatguy

You shouldn't have any problems with a YKK #10 auto locking zipper. I usually split the pocket in the middle and use two zippers rather than one long one. Mr. Mike would be the expert on this. :)
http://www.timtheboatguy.com

We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction.
Douglas MacArthur

Mike

April 15, 2014, 09:22:10 am #4 Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 09:22:57 am by Mike
Yes #10 or 8. I use 2 also and start at the ends of the pocket and end in the center. This way the zipper wont creep open and have a loose side flapping in the wind if you dont use a locking zipper that can be a problem for the owner doen the line   They may think its stuck amd force it.