Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 20, 2024, 05:43:07 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Got My Tax Refund - Should I Buy This Machine?

Started by jojo, February 19, 2011, 03:47:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

February 20, 2011, 12:38:32 pm #15 Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 12:45:13 pm by Gregg @ Keystone Sewing
Quote from: BigJohn on February 20, 2011, 12:16:12 pm
You might want to ask about that Chandler that Mojo bought he seams to very happy with it and if my recollection serves me right Gregg said he could sell that model as well. That is modeled after a Consew 206R but sells for hundreds less!

Chandler CM406RB series seen here for reference http://www.keysew.com/Chandler_CM406RB_models.htm is most related to the Seiko STH-8BLD-3.  If I am not mistaken, part for part, but from different factories for sure.

Consew is very similar, but only in some parts that most customers should not ever have to pay attention to, up in the arm area.

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Walking foot, compound feed, triple feed, top bottom feed, etc. can all mean the same or different things.  Some mfg. will call the same feeding mechanism on the same machine by a different name, and both will be correct.

In this case, the discrepancy is between a walking foot and, well, a walking foot.  But in this case, they really are not the same.  In the most technical of terms, the Yamata in question here is a top feed (outside presser foot), bottom feed (feed dog) machine with alternating presser feet, BUT without needle feed.

Very different than a Singer 111W walking foot (I'm using the walking foot term here as well) also know as a compound feed, triple feed machine.  This would signify, like most modern canvas & upholstery machines, that it has top feed (inside presser foot), bottom feed (feed dog), and needle feed, where the needle sweeps with the work as it's being transported.  This again prevents piles of material from shifting. 

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Quote from: seamsperfect on February 20, 2011, 09:54:37 am
Quote from: sofadoc on February 20, 2011, 09:45:56 am
Quote from: Gregg @ Keystone Sewing on February 20, 2011, 07:03:20 am
That Yamata is a top bottom feed, not a walking foot,   

How do those E-bay stores get away with calling it a walking foot?

I would like to know the difference  my 1797 AB is a
Walking Foot (Alternating Feed) Lockstitch
Kevin

What brand and model was that again Kevin?

seamsperfect

Quote from: Gregg @ Keystone Sewing on February 20, 2011, 12:59:22 pm

Kevin

Artisan 797 AB.
Kevin

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Quote from: seamsperfect on February 20, 2011, 01:08:46 pm
Quote from: Gregg @ Keystone Sewing on February 20, 2011, 12:59:22 pm

Kevin

Artisan 797 AB.
Kevin

797 AB is very much like the Yamata

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Now that I am thinking (I do this from time to time) there is also a needle feed machine common for canvas as well.  It's a single drop feed with spring holding the foot down, and needle sweeping with lower feed dog.  Not great for at all for hard to feed materials such as rubber or Naugahyde, but does have a place in life.  Great for use with a puller for long runs on a lot of applications.  For example, Singer 111W150 is a needle feed, as a point of reference.  Singer here call it a compound feed, yet Consew calls 206RB a compound feed, yet both are very different feed mechanisms.  Yikes!

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Kevin, nobody is saying a disparaging word about your machine here, and most will call it a walking foot, and it has alternating presser feet great for going over inconsistencies in the material.  If your happy with your machine, what else matters?  Almost every manufacturer sells a walking foot top bottom feed like yours. 

Most machines I can think of with a transport for material will feed 'hands free', even a high speed single needle drop feed for light weight materials. 

sofadoc

I stated in an earlier post here that I didn't think the Yamata would do a good job on auto seats.
But, if it's similar to the one Kevin uses, I should probably retract that statement.
Based on the pics from seamsperfect's website, it obviously DOES.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

seamsperfect

Quote from: sofadoc on February 20, 2011, 01:59:28 pm
I stated in an earlier post here that I didn't think the Yamata would do a good job on auto seats.
But, if it's similar to the one Kevin uses, I should probably retract that statement.
Based on the pics from seamsperfect's website, it obviously DOES.

I will say this I did buy a similar machine to my Artisan on ebay as a backup.  Even though it looks the same and works the same the Artisan is a far superior machine.  Even though both machines were made in China Factories you can tell which one had better QC.
Not trying to start anything here I just always wanted to know the real differences as I always got conflicting answers from machine shops.  Since Greg is the Machine expert, I just wanted his professional  opinion as well.  If I were to remake my decision 8 years ago I would  have gone with the Artisan 618sc as I like the way it feeds.

hdflame

You're getting a lot of good advice here!  If Gregg were that close to me, I'd be on the way to his shop first thing Monday morning! ;D

I bought my Highlead from Gregg and have been very happy with it.  This is it:
http://www.keysew.com/Highlead_GC0618-1-SC.htm

It will sew some very heavy material including multiple layers of heavy leather.  Also, I don't think anyone has mentioned the fact that the eBay machine you're looking at has a clutch motor.  I know some experienced sewers on here will say that you really don't need a servo motor, but at least for a beginner, it's the only way to go as far as I'm concerned.

I made my choice because of the feedback I got from Highlead owners on this forum.  There are other good machines out there and the good thing is you get to go to Keystone and try any that you're interested

Bobby
www.riddlescustomupholstery.com
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special
BRAND NEW Highlead GC0618-1-SC
and a new Cobra Class 4 Leather Machine  ;)

hdflame

Just wanted to add two threads that I saved in the "Newbies" Board....which I guess is frequently overlooked by Newbies!  ::)

These two threads go perfectly with this discussion:

"The differences between machine feed types."
http://get-up-and-go.com/upholstery-forum/index.php?topic=5937.0

"Industrial sewing machine recommendations."
http://get-up-and-go.com/upholstery-forum/index.php?topic=4567.0

Both of these threads, as well as others that will help out newbies, can be found here:
"All NEWBIES check here before asking questions."
http://get-up-and-go.com/upholstery-forum/index.php?board=9.0

You will see this board at the top of the General discussion board.

Hope this helps. ;D

Bobby
www.riddlescustomupholstery.com
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special
BRAND NEW Highlead GC0618-1-SC
and a new Cobra Class 4 Leather Machine  ;)

BigJohn

Joanne:
     Let us all know what kind of machine you end up with!

Big John