Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 10, 2024, 12:15:48 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Apple vs. Windows?

Started by Virgs Sew n Sew, May 17, 2015, 07:48:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Virgs Sew n Sew

Curious as to what computer y'all use.  I've used windows operating system since the beginning (HP, Dell, off brands, think I've bought them all).

Hubby got irritated with Microsoft 3+ years ago and bought an Apple.  He has loved it.  I've been impressed as he had the screen LCD go out early on.  Warranty covered it.  4 years come October and that is the only issue (knock on wood).

My HP laptop just missed it's 3rd birthday but I've hated it almost from the beginning.  My HP tower rocks but the laptop has been a constant source of irritation to me.  Power cord died this week.  We've tried the one size fits all kits and they are a waste of money.  So, I've been without a laptop since Monday evening.  Income tax refund came Friday and hubby persuaded me to buy the same Apple laptop that he is using.  Learning how to manipulate the screen takes a bit of getting used to.  Also use Safari instead of Explorer and that's a learning curve but it is sooooo fast.  My laptop never had any speed to it.  I can upload pictures from my Nikon straight to the laptop so all is good.  Hubby now has to get the network to recognize it and life will be good again.

Back to my subject question.  What computer does everyone have?  Are you happy with it?

So far it's a thumbs up to my Apple but I also give my Microsoft driven HP tower a thumbs up as well.

Virginia

SteveA

Windows without a bit of regret.  In past years Vista drove me crazy but since 7 Home version I have been 100 % satisfied.  New lap tops will just be faster because of advancements - and most providers will update your speed when you renew their service.  I'm at 25 upload + download and it is lightening fast.  I like the idea to be able to use any software I want and not be committed to Apple's products.  The droid phone with Chrome up loads my phone photos to the computer when I enter the WiFi  area.  I'm not saying Apple isn't a very good product, but price was my first hesitation - and I never had the kind of trouble with Windows that would make me go search out another product.  One or two viruses were challenging but quickly resolved by calling the computer provider who helped find the problem without a charge. 

A vote here for Windows  -

SA

Darren Henry

I don't have any experience with Mac. (apple) but windows is a pretty broad description. I think the first computer that was idiot proof enough for me to use was running windows 95. Then came XP and XP pro. I had pro at the shop and home at home. I found many "improvements" in pro. I had read enough bad press/had bad experiences using other people's chrome and vista that I hung onto my XP until it completely failed. My guy now has me set up on 7 and I'm satisfied.

Again no experience with Safari ; but back in my XP life a friend put me onto Mozilla Firefox instead of Explorer. OMG, night and day upgrade!!!! I still swear by it.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Rcrabb

I myself am an Apple fan. I agree the price can be a little deterring but once you bite the bullet you see how superior of a product it is. Apple products "Just Work". 

Virgs Sew n Sew

Quote from: Rcrabb on May 17, 2015, 11:48:39 am
I myself am an Apple fan. I agree the price can be a little deterring but once you bite the bullet you see how superior of a product it is. Apple products "Just Work". 

We had been buying either Hubby or I a new PC, at least, once a year.  When he bought the Apple, we had actually bought 3 in the space of 6 months.  When you add the cost of multiple computers, in the span that Bob's Apple has performed almost flawlessly, the price works out.  Then when you factor in, for Bob at least, the fact that he's not po'd at his computer a lot or most of the time and it's a win-win for him.

We'll see how it works out for me.  I hate adjusting to new software, etc.  I'm a "no change" is best kind of gal. ; )

Virginia

Tejas

We switched over from Windows to Apple about five years ago and am pleased. We now run three -- two iMacs and and a MacBook Air. While I was still working for a company that used Windows, I did most of the Office work an the iMac and transferred the work to the Windows machine for distribution.

Apple seems to be inherently more reliable. Apple controls the system hardware and provides the system software, especially the hardware drivers. A comparable Windows machine, even tha same model, typically has drivers from various manufacturers. The only OEM system hardware on our Apple machines is main memory on the iMacs. We also use Apple WIFI which is well supported.

Apple support has also been good. Whenever I've made a trouble call, which hasn't happened often, I've reached someone within minutes.

A reason to stick with Windows , or run a Windows Virtual Machine or Bootcamp, would be must have applications that run only on Windows. I do run MS Office on OS X because I had some complicated spreadsheets and I was quite familiar with Office.

Safari runs almost all web Sites. I've have had very occasional problems, and either Chrome of Firefox ran those Web sites.

The only annoyance so far has been iCloud, but which is an option.
Dave

Juki 1508; Bernina 217 with CAM Reader

Mike

I bought my first lartop a year ar so ago with windows  8 that took getting used to ill never buy a deskyop again.   but it is a gateway and  on the flip up screen the left hindge is broke it sits lor pff angle a bit and moves up and down.   the windows updated auto I could have and have stopped it because theafter  last update it wouldn't go omnline.  so I restored to a pre update date and it goese online I stopped the updates but I have a app megatube that recorded you tubes and I have a lot of music frpm ot but now the app dpsent cpnnect to youtube. ill take it to my local pc guy somtime but its kist as well my iPhone full of music.

MinUph

This debate had gone on for as many years as the PC and Mac have been in general use. It really depends on what you own as to what you like. If you have a Mac and get use to it it is the best, If you have a PC and get use to it that is the best.
  Price differences aside the PC has been a business type machine for most of the years. Mac has caught up some but it still runs PC based programs in a virtual PC. Graphics shine on a Mac, but business shines on a PC.

As for the question on drivers and software Mac has always held tight reigns on anything that went into or ran on a Mac. During the Windows 95 timeframe Microsoft pulled the reins in on drivers and started requiring hardware manufactures to test better and have their drivers signed to make them more compatible with Windows. This was because Microsoft got tired of being the fall guy when drivers would cause crashed because they were poorly written.

Enjoy the computer you have. They all do the same thing.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

gene

An old joke: Never ask someone if they have a Mac. If they do have a Mac, they will already have told you. If they do not have a Mac, your question will only embarrass them.

One other advantage for Macs is that there are less viruses made to attack that operating system.

I think Minup is correct in that nowadays it's more a matter of what you are used to.

My new laptop I got for Christmas has Windows 8 and it's horrible! I'm used to Vista.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

There is one way to settle this debate once and for all.

Does this forum's smileys work on a Mac?
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

kodydog

May 18, 2015, 06:02:05 am #10 Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 06:06:27 am by kodydog
I bought my Toshiba laptop about three years ago. And have been very happy with it. It runs windows 7 and I even created and published my web site with it.

Recently it started hanging up. And Firefox kept crashing. I'd be in the middle of one of my profound statements and it would crash. I'd loose the entire statement. I finally did a Google search and found the Firefox help page. It walked me through some updates including 4 program updates and helped me disable 4 plugins. Now its running like a champ again.

I don't know if its as fast as a Mac but its fast enough for me.

My forum smileys do not work. Would love to figure out why.  :)
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

CW

Virginia, I started out with a Mac book in the late 90s and loved it, then moved on to laptops with Windows. They always disappointed me, and I am considering another Apple product. Currently I have the iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch that all work in conjunction to each other, which I absolutely love. I'm always a wimp when it comes to trying something different, but pretty sure a Mac will be my next laptop.
"Yard by yard, life is hard. Inch by inch, it's a cinch." ~Unknown