Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 09, 2024, 05:12:46 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Monday Funny

Started by byhammerandhand, May 18, 2015, 05:14:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

byhammerandhand

The little league coach called time out, walked onto the field, and pulled one of his 9-year-old baseball players aside and asked, "Do you understand what co-operation is?  What a team is?"

"Yes, coach", replied the boy.

"Do you understand that what matters is we play well and win or lose as a team?" The boy nodded in yes.

The coach continued, "I'm sure you know, when an out is called, you shouldn't argue, curse, attack the umpire, or call him a p3cker-head, d1ckhead or @sshole. Do you understand all that?"

Again, the boy nodded yes.

"And when I take you out of the game so that another boy gets a chance to play, it's not good sportsmanship to call your coach a dumb @ss or sh1thead is it?"

"No, coach."

"Good," said the coach, "Now go over there and explain all that to your Grandmother!"
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

sofadoc

Normally I would see the humor in this story.

But my grandson is playing baseball right now, and some of those umpires really ARE p3ckerheads.
And the coach really IS a dumb@ss for taking him out just to let some sniveling brat play.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Virgs Sew n Sew

LOL on both posts!

My nephew was on the Varsity Football team.  Mainly because he gave 150% effort.  Could not run with a crap so as a defensive tackle, he didn't do man on man well.  They would avoid him, take off and my nephew was left in the dust.

Needless to say, he was on the sidelines most of the time.  My SIL was always upset about Coach not putting him in.  I told her that I thought Coach would have once game was no longer in question BUT nephew knew exactly what his grades had to be so that he could play and that is where he kept them.  Coach understood that and since nephew was a lackluster player, he rode the bench.  I applauded Coach as I had issues with the standards having been lowered as much as they have been.   Pretty much, if you are not flunking out you can play.  When I was in school, we had a basketball player miss turning in one paper.  He rode the bench until that teach cleared him to play.  That is how it should be.

Sorry for my slightly off-topic rant.  One of my pet peeves.

Virginia

sofadoc

When I was growing up, our Jr. High team went undefeated every year. Not only did we always win, we usually didn't give up any points. We absolutely steamrolled our opponents.

Then we moved up to high school, where you had to be passing at least 3 classes in order to play. Most of the better players were only passing History (because it was taught by one of the coaches).
Since we lost most of our good players, all that was left were a few slow white guys. We went from going 10-0 every year in Jr. High to 3-7 every year in high school. And those 3 wins were against smaller non-district schools.

Grade requirements are much stricter now. Our local high school team does well to suit up 35 guys.
Our opponents usually have nearly twice that many suited up. I think we've won 3 games in the last 4 or 5 years.

Not only do nearby towns whip our ass on the field, but in the classroom as well.

Whoda thunk that a Monday funny would turn into a more meaningful discussion?

Virgs Sew n Sew

I was surprised to learn how much the requirements here had decreased.  The aforementioned basketball player NEVER missed another assignment. 

Nephew is going through life doing just enough to get by which is a shame because he's a very intelligent guy.

Eeks, a meaningful discussion this early on Monday.  Yikes!

Virginia

Darren Henry

QuoteEeks, a meaningful discussion this early on Monday.  Yikes!

Even worse; a holiday Monday for some. Memorial day celebrates the birthday of the late queen Victoria. I'm not sure what they call it down under or across the pond.

QuoteI was surprised to learn how much the requirements here had decreased.

I think the requirements and standards have gone to pot right across the board. I look at young people today,most of whom have a high school diploma, and shake my head. They cannot compose a coherent sentence, let alone write it out spelled correctly. Basic arithmetic to them is  what quantum physics was to us at their age. The next time you're in Macdonalds---pry the cell phone out of their hands and look at the gibberish on the screen and then ask them "there are 3 tables for 4 free over there and 2 tables for 2 by the window. How many free seats are there?". If you find the kid who doesn't turn and start counting free chairs---buy his/her lunch. With fries!!
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

sofadoc

Quote from: Darren Henry on May 18, 2015, 07:27:04 am
I think the requirements and standards have gone to pot right across the board.
There's another way to look at it.

I think that requirements and standards are generally HIGHER than they were 30 years ago. But there are just more students now that simply say "Aw screw it" and don't even try to meet those standards.

Back in the day, the bar was set just low enough to keep people from giving up completely.

Just a theory.....probably half-baked.

Virgs Sew n Sew

Quote from: Darren Henry on May 18, 2015, 07:27:04 am

Even worse; a holiday Monday for some. Memorial day celebrates the birthday of the late queen Victoria. I'm not sure what they call it down under or across the pond.

It is also called Memorial Day here as well.  Used to be called Decoration Day.  For us, that is next Monday.  Bob & I celebrate our 33rd anniversary on the 29th.  That year, it was Memorial Weekend Saturday.  Memorial Day is the 25th this year, the earliest it can be (Monday holiday bill-always the last Monday in May).

Virginia

byhammerandhand

May 18, 2015, 08:54:00 am #8 Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 09:01:04 am by byhammerandhand
For a number of reasons, I got turned off to organized sports quite early.   I like to think of all the time, effort, and money I've saved since then.

My school was too small, and too poor, to have a football team.  So basketball was the sport.  When I was pre-school we had a very good team, thanks to a couple of guys.   One of which had state records in every category, most of which still stand in the top 20 (and beat LeBron James' records).   By the time I was in HS, it was terrible.  One year we had a perfect season -- did not win a regular season game all year.  When we got to the all-county tournament, somehow, we beat the #1 seed.   Then lost the next game.

Being from a poor school, I had some really awful teachers.   By far the worst all had the same name -- Coach.  Well, I can't say they were really bad teachers, because they really not teach at all. Which is why I never liked social studies and could have graduated from college a term early had I not yet fulfilled my history class requirement.  They also "taught" PE.  This consisted of 15 minutes of "Run, walk,..." then "here's a ball, hit the showers 10 minutes before the bell."  Athletes got As in PE, screw ups got Cs, everyone got B.

When in college, one year I worked as a grader, proctor, and test assembler for the math department.  I got to grade Archie Griffith's math test once.   Let's just say he was much better at football than math.

Quote from: Virgs Sew n Sew on May 18, 2015, 07:00:17 am
Eeks, a meaningful discussion this early on Monday.  Yikes!
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

SteveA

Here in NY Mothers are fighting against test taking stating that teachers loose time from general assignments trying to get their students test scores up -   teachers are graded by the class success -  no one ever finds out what questions the students got wrong - where's the logic ? 

When it comes to sports if a student can go on to make millions a year maybe academics comes second. 

Cities here require opportunities are given out to students and workers even when they aren't the most qualified. 

SA

sofadoc

Quote from: SteveA on May 18, 2015, 09:44:36 am
teachers loose time from general assignments trying to get their students test scores up -   teachers are graded by the class success
Definitely a problem. Students aren't learning any subject matter.......they're simply learning how to pass a specific test. Try asking a kid what kind of questions were on the test and what they think the correct answers were. Their response is usually pretty vague. Ask them again a year later, and they can't tell you even ONE question that was on the test. If you can't even remember the test, how can you possibly have learned anything?

CW

Thank you for the giggle. As one that had boys that played everything, I saw the parents that were over the top, and I was also the one that had to bite my tongue for the sake of the game and the kids. Not easy. LOL
"Yard by yard, life is hard. Inch by inch, it's a cinch." ~Unknown