Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 12, 2024, 10:29:23 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Right there in B&W

Started by sofadoc, November 02, 2011, 08:13:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sofadoc

I had a lady bring in a platform rocker and fabric today. She asked me how many yards it would take. I looked it over, and said "5 yards".
She became incensed. She said that she emailed me with a photo of the rocker about a year ago, at which time I told her to get 7 yards.
Now, because of MY mistake, she had bought 2 extra yards of a very expensive fabric. She suggested that I pay for my mistake by reimbursing her for the 2 extra yards.
What she didn't know was, that I print off, and save all my email estimates.
I produced a copy of the email where I clearly told her "5 yards". She refused to believe that the email copy was legitimate.
She just kept interrupting me saying "NO-O-O-O.........you said 7 yards!!".
This must be how our foreign ambassadors feel when they try to reason with 3rd world countries.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mojo

Did you tell her to go take a hike ?

I do not know if I could work for someone like that.

I hear these stories and they make my customers sound like Saints.

Chris

Toledo Mach. Sales

That is a good one!I would like to know why she wanted to know how many yds it would take if she already had the material?
That's great that you had your previous estimate.
We sell New& Used Industrial Sewing Machines,Parts,Needles & Thread.
Toll-Free#1-866-362-7397

gene

"I'd rather be happy than right." Some people are not capable of being happy.

I always feel that people like that lady are just setting you up for a fight when it comes time to pay their bill.

If I have it written down, which I always try to do, the customer is simply wrong. And the customer being wrong is not my problem.

Good luck.

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

baileyuph

Communication problem?
Is it possible she is referencing a verbal which is not equal to the copy of the email?

Will required yardage vary with fabric?  Was that brought up in the email?

With COM, it is best to let the customer get their yardage estimate from the vendor, after all they are making a profit off the materials.  That is what we usually do and only provide material estimates on what we sell, with the explanation that since we can't see the material it is difficult to estimate yardage.

Patterns, repeat of patterns, as well as grain or perhaps nap, can be important factors. 

Also, ask her if she has a copy of the mail you sent.

This is a tough one, heck just play her game, then market the material and get more if required to sell the two yards.

The customer thinks she is right whether that is or not the case.

Doyle

SHHR

It amazes me how people would set there and argue with a brick wall. even when you showed her proof, she still doubted what you've said and in an argumentative way. I would've had to suggest she go back to wall street and protest with all the others who want handouts.
Kyle

kodydog

What gets me Sofa is she tried to set you up, just so she could start an argument. If she already had her fabric why didn't she just drop off the chair and leave? She wanted to see if your estimate was the same from a year ago. Even though you were in the right and proved it, I can't say my estimates are always going to be exactly the same. Especially if I'm giving one from an E-mail.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

November 03, 2011, 06:46:32 am #7 Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 06:47:58 am by Gregg @ Keystone Sewing
I've long stoped trying to win those battles.  You'll never win, even if your absolutly 100% correct.  

I had one (I'm still working on) where customer says they wanted a 9cm hoop, gave an estimate with part number, sent invoice with same part number and description, and NOW he says I sent him the wrong hoop, and that HE ordered 15cm hoop, and to send him the correct item.

Look, either way, if he said, yeah, I made a mistake, ordered the worng item, can you take care of this, I would do THE VERY SAME THING anyway.  He is a good paying customer, and I take care of him either way he wants it.

Some folks go throught life with a very rigid way of thinking that this is they ONLY way to accomplish anything, like life is a one way street.  If it makes them feel like they accomplished somthing, great.

Just move on, fight the battles you can win, and don't look back; smile, say yes, Ma'am, your right, and find a way to make up the difference elsewhere.

mike802

How I would handle this would depend on how busy the shop is.  If I really needed the work I would probably grin and bear it, if I was backed up six months I would tell her to find a different upholster.  She will probably have issues when it comes time to pay the bill.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" - Abraham Lincoln
http://www.mjamsdenfurniture.com

mike802

November 03, 2011, 08:52:22 am #9 Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 06:23:12 pm by mike802
QuoteI would've had to suggest she go back to wall street and protest with all the others who want handouts

Ok, so we have a groundswell of American Citizens protesting in most every major city across the country, not to mention in Greece, the UK, Egypt etc, it is getting bigger by the day and they are all looking for a hand out?  The people looking for a hand out have their butts stuck in plastic chairs in a warm welfare office, they are not out on the cold hard streets protesting, that's to much work for the dependent personality.  Whether we agree on what they are protesting is really not the point, the point is that under the Constitution of the United States they have the right to peacefully assemble and ask the government for redress of grievances. This video shows a sailor who would be welcome on my boat any day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7LGatIq70c
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" - Abraham Lincoln
http://www.mjamsdenfurniture.com

sofadoc

Quote from: DB on November 03, 2011, 06:16:51 am
Communication problem?
Is it possible she is referencing a verbal which is not equal to the copy of the email?

Absolutely not. The e-mail contained a photo of the rocker in question.
What probably happened, was that she got conflicting quotes from other upholsterers.
BTW Remember that she said the fabric was VERY expensive? I'm guessing about $15 yd.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

jojo

Quote from: sofadoc on November 03, 2011, 03:14:02 pm
Quote from: DB on November 03, 2011, 06:16:51 am
BTW Remember that she said the fabric was VERY expensive? I'm guessing about $15 yd.

Yep, and I bet that was BEFORE the Joann's 1/2 off coupon!