Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 10, 2024, 10:07:32 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Tufted

Started by SteveA, October 17, 2015, 05:56:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveA

Next week I have a job coming in - Tufted leather barrel back chair. Brand new - one button has pulled through a sewn diamond on the seat.  The manufacturer's tech is telling me I can top sew it with a curved needle and retie the button.  I'm thinking I need to remove the seat cover and sew the seam from the underside correctly.  Which repair would you lean toward ?  They want to do this as cost effective as possible since it is outside the warranty.  Would the more experienced here than I feel confident enough to top stitch and get away with it ?

Thanks
SA

Darren Henry

My first reaction is; "why did the button pull through?". Either way you do it I'd make sure there is enough slack in the (p)leather to re-sew.

I've never had much luck blind stitching leather or vinyl. Granted I don't have a chisel pointed curved needle, but even when I've pre-punched the holes with a stitching awl, I've had issues with puckering and tearing. Personally; I'd pull it down and run it through the machine. If the seat is too tight this will also give you a chance to "let it out" a little when you re assemble.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

sofadoc

Is this a LOOSE seat cushion? If so, I would definitely re-sew it on the machine. But for attached stuff, I've had a little luck doing the repair as suggested before.

If the manufacturer wants it done the cheapest possible way, I give them what they want. Worse case scenario is that it doesn't last, and has to be done right next time. I make no guarantees on "improvised" repairs.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

kodydog

October 17, 2015, 10:50:49 am #3 Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 10:54:08 am by kodydog
I'll bet they cut that thread with the needle when they were poking the button through. If they want it done on the cheap then hand sew it, poke the button through and call it done. If it was for a  customer or something I screwed up, I'd get it under a sewing machine.

One thing to consider, if done right hand sewing is just about as secure as machine sewing and the needle holes are already there. Just catch each one and you should be good. A strong pair of glasses and bright lights help.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

SteveA

It's a tight seat - 
The button is not holding because the seams are too open where the button seats. The stitches have come loose near the button placement seam.    I believe taking the seat cover off is the better way.  If I try to blind stitch from the top and use old holes as much as possible - I still worry some stitches may show -   I guess I'll try to do it since they are more focused on saving money then the best possible result -

Thanks for all the input -

SA

Darren Henry

QuoteA strong pair of glasses and bright lights help.

Dude, our age is showing LOL.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

kodydog

I don't know what it is about black thread but you should see me trying to thread the needle on my machine.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Virgs Sew n Sew

You only have trouble with black thread???

Lucky you!