Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 15, 2024, 02:43:43 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Having fun in Florida

Started by kodydog, May 26, 2017, 07:07:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

kodydog

May 26, 2017, 07:07:51 pm Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 07:08:54 pm by kodydog
Hay y'all, Florida Folk Festival tomorrow at Steven Foster State Park. Jim Stafford headlines. "I don't like spiders or snakes." Oh yeah, on the way to the concert we will deliver this chair for a Florida renowned author who lives on the Suwannee River. She promised to have Sangria waiting when we arrive.

Also delivering tomorrow, A friend gave us a desk with this chair. We donated the desk to charity but kept the chair. Last month Rose sold it and yesterday we reupholstered it. A present for the customers adult son. The gray wool plaid is the after shot.

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

Quote from: kodydog on May 26, 2017, 07:07:51 pm
Jim Stafford headlines. "I don't like spiders or snakes."
Don't forget "Wildwood Weed".
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

SteveA

That Leopard seat is perfectly shaped - how is the underside formed ?
SA

gene

May 27, 2017, 07:51:24 pm #3 Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 07:54:56 pm by gene
Jim Stafford is 73!!!

I'm reminded of Delbert McClinton. He still does small venues and cruise ships. Probably State parks also. I saw him many years ago in Evansville, IN. Drove over there just for the concert. I'm guessing 150 people max. His bio says, "There are two kinds of people in the world: those who love Delbert McClinton and those who haven't heard him yet."

QuoteThat Leopard seat is perfectly shaped
Yes, but can it change it's spots?

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

kodydog

Will I'll be damned. Turns out Jim Stafford is Sunday night. But we saw many good bands anyway including a three song private concert by friends of a friend who we somehow managed to track down.

The headliner tonight was Tom Chapin. One of three brothers of the 1960's folk group the Chapin Brothers. One of the other brothers was Harry Chapin and Tom sang a good rendition of Harrys "Cat's in the Cradle." His band put on a really good show that brought people to their feet more then one time including a tribute to commemorate those who gave the ultimate sacrifice to defend our nation.

Hope everyone has time to take a moment to pray for our fallen solders this Memorial Day.

kodydog

Quote from: SteveA on May 27, 2017, 07:43:11 am
That Leopard seat is perfectly shaped - how is the underside formed ?
SA

The spring system is 8-way tied springs. The padding was mostly straw with a little horse hair that was in pretty bad shape. I threw it out and replaced it with poly foam. Whenever I do this I find it hard to get that flat antique, built up, padded seat look. My first impulse is to use 2" foam so the seat doesn't get that over crowned look. Problem with 2" foam, in my opinion, is it doesn't give enough support and I can feel the springs underneath. So I added a piece of 1" foam about 8" X 8" underneath the 2' foam.  Now I have a crown that looks wildly insane. So I built up the edges using cotton and edge roll. This looked better and I covered it with the fabric. I still wasn't 100% happy with the end result. Sometimes we can be our own worst critics.

The customer was overjoyed when we delivered it and the Sangria poured freely. She had a real party with 7 other friends she invited to view the chair. All in all we had a great day.

SteveA

I had a similar chair last year and the customer wanted to sit higher.  The springs were good but you sat too low even with a crown.  I tied the springs very tight to keep the deck flat and made a cushion.  It wasn't appropriate for the style but it raised up the seat and was more comfortable to sit in. 
Following Paul's advice on a morris chair I was doing he mentioned synthetic horse hair between the springs - I bought a few yards for the morris chair and it worked out very well - went back and picked up another 10 yards to keep in stock
SA

MinUph

I was going to mention the hair pad GEne this morning but had to run. Thanks for putting it on for Steve.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website