Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2024, 09:17:58 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

question from a newbie

Started by ktd205, March 27, 2016, 11:03:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ktd205

Hi all,

When I say "from a newbie," I mean that as both a newbie to this forum as well as to the world of upholstery.  It's always something I've wanted to learn how to do and my cousin offered me a chair that she no longer wanted.  Since my best friend has been looking for a chair like this for her living room, it was a win, win, win. 

My friend wanted the tufting to be eliminated though, and I figured it wouldn't be a problem.  Yet as I studied the chair a little more, I realized that it might be a bit of a challenge.  The fabric on the inner back, inner arms, and seat was all one piece of fabric, attached to the webbing of the back and seat by the tufting.  So my question is this: does anyone have an suggestions on a way to approach the reupholstery of this chair, sans tufting?  My initial thought is that I will need to make a separate seat cushion but I'm curious to hear what more experienced folks may suggest.

Thanks in advance!

http://s1268.photobucket.com/user/ktd205/media/CB%20chair_before_zpspbzncn67.jpg.html

sofadoc

Welcome to the forum, and to the high-flying world of upholstery.

Re-styling that type of chair to accommodate no buttons is a pretty ambitious first project. You would have to create crevices where the seat meets the inside arms and inside back. This might entail adding some rails in those crevice areas. You could seam the inside back panel to the inside arm panels.

You would either have to replace all the foam, or do a lot of filling of old button holes.

Again, I think you should start with something simpler, or do it back as is.

I have a few customers that always seem to want a dramatic change to every piece they bring in.
I always say they "Just want change for the sake of change". Sometimes it's best to leave well enough alone.

If this is merely a fun project, then it can't hurt to try. But if you're considering upholstery as a way to make a little extra money, converting that piece might discourage you.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

scottymc

Wise words from sofadoc, I often find when I try to change something from the way it was originally done I find out why they did it that way in the first place.
A good way to learn is to take pictures as you take a piece apart so you can use them as a reference and just copy what was done until you get a better understanding of why. :-)

MinUph

This is an ambitious project to even reproduce what is there. Changing the design will be fun to do but more difficult than the original design. You could make a bag and install it on the frame and then button it in. Won't look the same at all.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

ktd205

Thank you all for your suggestions!  I really appreciate it.  I'll keep you posted on the progress.

kodydog

I'll bet when you take it apart you'll find the fabric was pieced and hidden inside the tufts. There really is no way to upholster this chair without the tufts. Unless you reconstruct the frame and change the way the fabric is patterned.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html