Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 05, 2024, 01:55:58 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Religion

Started by kodydog, July 24, 2018, 06:55:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

kodydog

July 24, 2018, 06:55:12 pm Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 07:03:09 pm by kodydog
This is a topic we touch upon every once in a while but not enough to know how everyone really feels about it. I know, politics and religion not to be discussed on here. But I think everyone may enjoy this

I'm not a church goer but I am a Christion. I thank the lord everyday, I am grateful for all he has given me.

When we moved to High Springs a neighbor invited us to a local church and we went a few times. We enjoyed it but its just not our thing.

Five weeks ago he invited me to Tuesday night bible study. A men's club type of thing. We are reading a book titled 12 Ordinary Men referring to the 12 apostle's. Every week we read a chapter (one for each apostle) and discuss it at the meeting. Of course the subject often strays and there is no telling where these discussions may lead. The group gets bigger every week and there are an interesting assortment of people from all walks of life.  In a way you could say I'm the new guy, the least read when it comes to the bible and the only one not a member of their church. I ask a lot of questions and I think they enjoy answering them.

As usual when stepping outside the box I was real apprehensive about joining this group but now am glad I did.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

SteveA

Sorry you wrote down those thoughts almost sounding apologetic.  I don't think anyone would admonish you for being off topic. 

John 15-16 You did not choose me  - it was I who chose you -  Think about that for a second -

Whatever your beliefs are it seems you are making this determination as a full adult with life experience.  Family, Salvation, Ministry, Faith - whatever brings the Faithful to worship - it also brings them to " Community"   if community feels right - Amen

SA

Darren Henry

I don't want to get into politics or religion too deeply either. That said, I commend your decision to join that group and learn their take on things. I thing that spirituality comes from within--not what this denomination or that beats into us. If more of us spent some time trying to understand the other fellow's opinion, we would be less inclined to argue.

I would suggest John Steinbeck's "to a god unknown" as must read. If you have questions consult a native elder.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

sofadoc

I was a deacon in a Baptist church for nearly 20 years. I stopped going to church 10 years ago. Most of my friends from our old small town church now just attend a big mega-church once a week. They write a check and go home. They don't get involved in any activities.

I still believe in God, but I'm done with organized religion.

Obviously, we don't want to spark any debates about issues like homosexuality and abortion (the 2 biggest hot button topics in religion). But I find it funny that many mainstream denominations have completely changed their stance over the last 20 years.

Again, I don't want to argue moral issues. I just don't understand how churches keep adjusting their interpretation of the Bible in order to put more butts in the pews.

If I sound like a crusty old "hardliner", I'm not. I really don't have any serious convictions. And I really don't have the stomach for any kind of heated debate. This is merely an observation of religion in general.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

SteveA

Dennis performing Wedding ceremonies, Baptisms,  etc ( hold on folks :) - but not sure exactly how the Baptist Ministry works but I can just hear the compressor going off when the Bride is about to say " I do"
One thing is evident when the Faithful have a falling out - at some point they return to their Church - and I hope Dennis you allow those issues to fade away and once a Deacon always a Deacon - 
SA

kodydog

July 25, 2018, 06:26:50 pm #5 Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 06:27:43 pm by kodydog
So the first week of bible study the leader (my neighbor) said he would like everyone, six members at that time, to invite one person to join. This made me nervous. Who the heck do I know. This evening I was mowing the lawn and spotted another neighbor. I knew he was a religious fellow so I asked him if he would like to join. I half expected him to say he was too busy but he said he would. Cool!
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

SteveA

Sounds like  "sewing" seeds to me
SA

Mojo

I was raised Catholic ( dang heathens anyways ) and attended private Catholic schools. We went to mass all the time. I can remember going 5 times in a week for special occasions. Of course there were also religious classes we all had to take throughout junior high and high school.

My former father in law owned a funeral home where I served my apprenticeship as a mortician ( at a very young age ). I moved on to better employment but still worked for him part time for 14 years doing embalming and working services. During that time I worked 500 funerals in every religion you can think of from Taoist and Buddhist to Baptist. It was eye opening to see all the different customs and religious rites.

I rarely attend church anymore. I consider myself a Christian but do not need the organized churches for my salvation. I am what many consider a quiet Christian. Instead of talking the talk I walk the walk and keep my mouth shut. I just try to do right by others, never hurt anyone and try and be an example of a decent Christian to others.

I applaud those who attend church but like Dennis I have lost the need for the social aspect of church and Christianity. Maybe it is a rebellious side of me coming out or maybe it is the politics and corruption I have seen behind closed doors at some churches that keeps me away.

Mojo

SteveA

Politics + corruption is present everywhere.  It seems to get sensationalized when it comes to a religious group.  Roman Catholic - a product of public and Catholic schools but it was the Catholic schools that helped me make better choices.  Never a regular attendee but when the kids started to get their sacraments we had to be present role models.  We have met great people there and there are so many great programs to participate in.  Bringing Communion to the home bound, widow + widowers group, cooking and serving lunch to the Handicap, bringing clothes and food to the homeless, driving seniors to Dr's appointments and there are 25 more I could easily name.  Those Catholic roots + participation helped you to serve and be the person you are today
SA