Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 15, 2024, 10:31:13 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Need tips on sewing welt cord

Started by marko69, April 15, 2013, 09:17:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

marko69

I always use black vinyl with premade black welt cord,  but now I'm doing a seat in the color cork and have to make the welt cord as I can't find the premade stuff in that color.
I'm wrapping the vinly strip around the poly cord and sewing it with a welt foot.  I can't keep the edges aligned while sewing so I stapled the edges together.  There must be a better way.

gene

Are you cutting the vinyl on the bias? This will give you more stretch to the vinyl.

Is your feed dog pulling the bottom part of the vinyl strip through the sewing machine faster than the top part of the strip? I think it may be easier to wrestle with the vinyl to keep everything easy rather than to staple the edges together.

Are you using a big stitch, i.e. the fewest number of stitches per inch? This may help.

Are you sewing slowly?

Remember to keep the stitch away from the needle if possible, then when you sew the welt cord onto the vinyl you can sew close to the needle and your welt cord stitches won't be seen.

If you can get a handle on it, have you thought about sewing the welt cord strip directly onto the vinyl without first sewing the welt cord together?

I hope this helps.

gene

PS: I stitch in time... can sometimes take hours!
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

ajlelectronics

The way I do it, is to sew the two halves together away from the piping cord. I do that by having the foot ride along the piping cord, so the sew line is about 3/8" from the cord. Than as said above, when you sew it into the material, you only have one line of stitching and the strength isn't compromised.

scarab29

What does it hurt if the edges aren't perfectly lined up here and there. It's on the inside ! The outside is what counts. After a while you'll see what works when you are folding your material over the welt cord to get a better result. I always made my own welt for the first 4-5 years I was doing this. Now I stock the white marine I use and make the rest.
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

MinUph

You'll get the hang of it. You probably already have.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

marko69

I'm back, I've had to work on my cars the last few nights, both had bad alternators.
I'll try some of the suggestions when I start on my next piece.

skegfish

Yes on the bias cut. I cut my material a bit wide and sew in the cord as close to center as possible then I take a 1/2" strip of thin plastic and lay it against the sewn welt and cut it clean. Perfect size every time, super consistent as well, cut it with rotary cutter.
jeff

ajlelectronics

If you cut the strip to 1 5/16" it will work out just right. That is with 3-4mm cord. I have just done a run of it myself.

Mike

Ive dine a fee videos on here were i sew without a welt foot using polycord ridi g mumfoot on top. After cutting strips about 1 1/2" usualy by eye. Then if need be adter sewing i will trim it even sith sissors  loke s arab o dont find it critical to be perfect on the inside. Not seen.
For double welt
I learnt a neat tri k here fron  stephen.