Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 07, 2024, 09:44:14 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Scrap Material

Started by gkm09, March 07, 2018, 07:18:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

gkm09

What does everyone do with scrap material? Vinyl, cloth, foam etc. I save a lot of foam but have a lot of useless pieces.

MinUph

Whatever is useless throw it out
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

kodydog

Some folks have good luck selling fabric remnants on this fb page.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/SpringHillFabrics/

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

65Buick

I've been saving foam scrap and material and now I have two big tubs. I figured when I started I would probably not use it, and so far, that has held true.

Maybe I'll shred it all and make an enormous 'bean' bag for my dog.

SteveA

inside + outside arms
SA

MinUph

Kody that's my page. I never sell anything but I guess some do. LOL
Fabrics are good for outsides yes. But foam grows quickly. If it is a small piece it goes away.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

gkm09

Thanks guys! Just wanted to make sure there wasn't someway to recycle or something. We are a super busy shop and make a lot of waste.

sofadoc

The ugly remnants, I use to line the outsides or tack over springs.
The nicer remnants, I keep under the counter. Customers with small items will usually choose one rather than order from the books.

I find some uses for foam scraps, but eventually you just have to purge.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

SteveA

65Buick

Big businesses sell their foam scrap to be made into rebond for carpet padding, etc. But I don't think any of us are nearly big enough for that. Sure would be nice though.

Mojo

We have mounds of scrap acrylic and vinyl. I need Ricat to come over and visit so I can load his truck full.

We donate the vinyl scraps to a local mission store and they sell it as cupboard liners. The acrylic we have to purge quite often. Hard to find projects that can use 12 inch wide fabric. Now and then we have people who want some scraps which we give them.

We have also donated fabric to art teachers at local schools. Their budgets are so underfunded they appreciate any donations.

Mojo

kodydog

Its funny how when we show customers our remnants they seam disinterested. But when we donate it to an auction or thrift store they climb over each other to get to it.

Its also funny the customers who have a remnant closet. They could spend hours showing us all their fabric. Every time they pull one out they say, I don't know what I'm going to do with this.

We have customers who give us remnants just to get rid of it. We also have customers who ask if we can sell their fabric for them, of course they want the same price they paid for it.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

Quote from: kodydog on March 09, 2018, 06:39:48 am
Its also funny the customers who have a remnant closet. They could spend hours showing us all their fabric. Every time they pull one out they say, I don't know what I'm going to do with this.
Yeah, there's just something about putting it back in the closet and letting it "mellow" for a few more years that makes it more desirable.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

65Buick

Funny how we as upholsterers fret about this scrap here, that scrap there. a few yards, whatever.

Textile makers regularly toss enormous rolls of fabric that they can't sell for whatever reason.

Fortunately people have figured this out and are now trying sell at least the good quality stuff.

Grebo

I've tried giving it away, no one is interested.
I throw the little bits away as I go then have a purge once a year, I hate throwing anything away but can't find another option.