Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 06, 2024, 04:11:23 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Clothing from marine fabric !

Started by scarab29, May 14, 2013, 08:39:13 am

Previous topic - Next topic

scarab29

Got this in my inbox today !!

I hope all is well this Friday.  I know this is your super busy time, so please let me apology up front if this request is a waste of your time.  That's not my intent.  I just wondered if I could pick your brain for a minute.

Have you ever considered -- or tried, bombed or maybe succeeded -- making some men's cargo shorts out of marine grade fabrics? I've been wondering if they would be durable and interesting to wear.

I should have come up with this idea in the depths of November -- when business is slow.  I hope you have a few minutes to reply.

Back to my idea -- I can't assume marine grade fabric cargo shorts would be the most comfortable pair of shorts one might own. But I have this idea in my head that they might look cool, be unique, and seldom wear out.

Any thoughts are welcomed.  If this is possible, might you be able to fabricate a pair for me? I could supply the fabric (or buy it off you) and provide the pattern and pay you. 

All the best,
P.S. If this sounds like a crazy idea -- feel free to say, "Jeff, sorry dude, but you're crazy." I won't be offended
hmmmmmmm ?

duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

fragged8

looked at it but mostly the material costs are higher than clothing fabrics unless you have an edge
like the recycled sailcolth bags with an emphasis on recycling to satisfy the eco warriors who will pay
a premium.

i sell fishermans smocks made from a coverall material for £23 each, i looked at using sunbrella
to make them but they would have to retail at around £50 ..

jojo

Of course clear windows and reinforcement chafing patches are extra. :P

Mojo

Let me know if you get this perfected. I have a whole lot of scrap acrylic fabric ready to go for you. :)

Chris

fragged8

best bet for scrap is bags, you have to push them as Eco recycled though.
or upcycled

momto3fatdogs

I have certainly NOT sewn clothing out of something that heavy, but I think the bulk of the seams in the crotch would be uncomfortable. That is speculation only. However, I have a pattern (as yet unused!) by Green Pepper Designs. The shorts have no center seam. It's a panel that runs from inside leg edge to inside leg edge. We have shooting shirts (my term ) with under arm panels similar to this design. Anyway, if you make shorts in something THAT stiff, it would be a gaulding waiting to happen. I think that pattern company has line drawings available to view - or I imagine that they do! On line...

Sam

Mojo

I could only imagine just how uncomfortable they would be if using acrylics. Especially some of the Sattlers. There are a couple colors that have a pretty stiff hand to them.

I sent off a bunch of my cuttings to Mike802 and he made fireplace log carriers from them. :)

Chris

hdflame

Quote from: Mojo on May 17, 2013, 04:30:24 am
I could only imagine just how uncomfortable they would be if using acrylics. Especially some of the Sattlers. There are a couple colors that have a pretty stiff hand to them.

I sent off a bunch of my cuttings to Mike802 and he made fireplace log carriers from them. :)

Chris

That's a good idea!  I've been thinking about making a couple of those re-usable shopping bags.  I use one I got from Tandy Leather to carry my food in to the fire station.

Hmmm, I just noticed that this was going to be my 1500th post!
Bobby
www.riddlescustomupholstery.com
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special
BRAND NEW Highlead GC0618-1-SC
and a new Cobra Class 4 Leather Machine  ;)