Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 12, 2024, 01:40:17 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Question for greg@ Keystone on welt foot

Started by stew-cheryl, February 13, 2011, 08:12:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

stew-cheryl

Hi Greg, I seen somewhere they have a welt foot with the back side cut out for corners, any experience with them?

sofadoc

I'm not Gregg, but I just wanted to give you my observation.
I have a 1/4" set with the back side cut out.
They might be more beneficial (for rounding corners) on larger sizes, but I  notice very little difference on 1/4". And for straight runs, it doesn't hug the welt quite as well.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

stew-cheryl

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Quote from: stew-cheryl on February 13, 2011, 10:09:46 am
Thank's for your help

Cheryl,

What was said above is correct from what my customers tell me.  Worth trying out, most auto trimmers use them.  Think of sun visors and the such.

BTW...did you attend the Chesapeake Marine Canvas Fabricators Association show this year and if so how was it? 

bobbin

I don't share the same opinion as Sofa, S-C. 

In my own shop (at home) I have what June calls a "toe welting foot" (the kind that is cut away behind the needle slot) and I just love it.  It makes turning a crisp, sharp corner really easy and it's great on long arcs.  My experience with cording/cushions in general was limited to 2 shops and I never realized there was a cut away foot available until June mentioned it in one of her posts!  I've worked for those 2 shots for the best part of 18 yrs. and never even considered there was something made to make corners easier, so there are always new things to learn, lol.

I have always had to contend with welting feet designed for long straight runs in the two shops I've worked for and getting the needle right up to the cording for corners has always been tricky... sometimes the stitching that afixes the cording to the pc. in question still showed after the boxing was stitched in place, a "no no" to me.  That never happens with the "toe welting foot". 

I agree that such a cut away foot can alter the machine's ability to feed the goods evenly.  It makes sense when you think about it... only a fraction of the foot remains in contact with the feed dog and thus, "traction" is compromised.  I find I change out the feet more at home than I do when I'm at work, just for that reason. 

I wonder if the "wandering" Sofa. referenced above is more a factor of the cording being marginally too small for the size foot being employed?  I find the opposite difficulty at home... often my cording set up is marginally too small for the cording I wish to apply (which affects feed, too). 

stew-cheryl

Thank's bobbin for the input, just like to see whats out there, ya know better mouse trap thing

Hi Greg, The convention is next week 18-20, if I remember right you were there for venders day, hope to see ya there!  Wanted to talk with ya about adding another machine.

sofadoc

Quote from: bobbin on February 13, 2011, 12:30:11 pm
I wonder if the "wandering" Sofa. referenced above is more a factor of the cording being marginally too small for the size foot being employed? 

I don't think so. I use 5/32" fiber-flex welt.
I don't have any problems turning corners with my regular welt feet, so I don't notice any improvement with the "corner cut-out" feet.
I could see where they might make it easier for sewing poly welt, or any kind of stiff welt.
I do want to try a set of 1/2" welt feet with the back corner cut out for sewing braided rope. I think they might be beneficial on thick cords, where the "lift" range is limited.
Just to make sure we're on the same page, we are talking about welt feet like these, aren't we?
http://www.keysew.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=KSMCI&Product_Code=S68

bobbin

Yes, exactly.  I typically use only the stiff, poly welt as the cushion work I primarily do at work is for a marine or outdoor application.  And you're right, turning a crisp corner and getting the boxing seam inside the one that joins the cording to the main pc. is always a challenge, esp. on crisp fabrics like awning weight acrylic. 

When dealing with interior fabrics/slipcovers I prefer a softer insert but have yet to find one I like that is washable.  Could you recommend something you like in 5/32.  I am presently using a nylon cord which is OK but I need to purchase it (or its equivilent) on a on a larger reel. 

sofadoc

Bobbin: If you're using stiff poly welt, then I can see why the cut-out feet work better for you.
The stuff that I use is like this:
http://www.rochfordsupply.com/shop/Ropes_and_Cords/Welt_Cord/Welt_Cord_-_Fiber/index.html
It's very flexable for turning corners, but I'm not sure how many washings it will withstand.

scarab29

Quote from: Gregg @ Keystone Sewing on February 13, 2011, 12:29:44 pm
Quote from: stew-cheryl on February 13, 2011, 10:09:46 am
Thank's for your help

Cheryl,

What was said above is correct from what my customers tell me.  Worth trying out, most auto trimmers use them.  Think of sun visors and the such.

BTW...did you attend the Chesapeake Marine Canvas Fabricators Association show this year and if so how was it? 

It's this weekend Greg !!!
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.