Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 14, 2024, 09:34:22 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Mooring Covers

Started by BlueFlamingo, September 27, 2014, 05:42:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueFlamingo

As you may know, I'm getting close to retirement and am thinking of doing some upholstery work when I do.  I've done some boat seats etc. and have had some success but am FAR from being as accomplished as you guys.  I can sew a straight line and thread a bobbin but still have a LOT to learn.  I have a guy that wants me to do some mooring covers.  One is about 6x6 the other 5x5.  Typical boat canvas with 1" flat nylon webbing stitched around the perimeter with 1" binding and SS snaps   Nothing fancy and no major darts or cut outs.  Actually pretty straight forward.  I just don't have any idea what to charge.  I've priced the materials and they're gunna run approximately $200.  I'm Guess-Ti-Mating about 4-6 hours labor since I've never done anything like this before so I'm gunna have somewhat of a learning curve but I really can't charge him to much for that.  Soooo, what say you guys??? What would be a fair price for me to charge for something like this?  I really appreciate and trust your opinions.

Mike

as a roll of binding and a roll of webbing is going to do a lot more then one 200 is high

your pic show a simple flat canvas with snaps id say 2 hours max  $250ish  4 yards 46" for the 6x6, the 5x5 2 yards 60"  $28 canvas plus 8 yards binding + webbing a roll is about 60 binding webbing 20

BlueFlamingo

Thanks Mike,  I was thinking $500 bucks.  I guess I'm in the ball park!!!  I'll shoot him a bid and see what he says.

BlueFlamingo

Well since this is a hobby and not my main business, I have to buy a snap tool too.  So I added that cost in as well sooo. with 50 SS snaps, webbing, Binding and 6 yards of Sunbrella 9.2oz material (what the Customer wants) my materials cost came in at $245.00.  I shot him a price of $500.00 to do em and he pulled the trigger so, I guess I'm committed.  I've never done binding so do I need to buy a binder attachment or can you do it by hand?

Darren Henry

You can do it by hand. Be patient---it will be slow going at first, but speed will come.

Where you haven't bound before I would suggest using 7/8" centre fold binding. It is much easier to work with than double fold binding until you get the knack of binding. As the name implies, it "wants" to fold in half  for you as you go.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Mike

Darren Henry

Have you had much success with one like that Mike? I bought one that looked like that from one of my suppliers up here and it was complete garbage.It was for 7/8 centre fold, but made like an "M" on it's side.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

baileyuph

Is there a way for a reader to get an inside look at the equipment and such that a manufacturer uses.  Their work, I think, is near perfect and has to be efficient, otherwise their prices wouldn't keep them in business.

A manufacturer close by for a tour would probably be very interesting, especially to be able to watch the employees work.

Doyle

Mike

Quote from: DB on October 05, 2014, 06:42:40 am
Is there a way for a reader to get an inside look at the equipment and such that a manufacturer uses.  Their work, I think, is near perfect and has to be efficient, otherwise their prices wouldn't keep them in business.

Doyle
the way I see it doyle ,  in doing canvas fulltime 21 years I could count on my fingers maybe a toe or two all the sailboat ive done , that not very many ant not may call for work either, there cheap that were sailrite found a nich selling small machine that they can use in there boat while there sailing patching things and they will do there own work to save money so even it it is a higher price then I can get  they will save the labor wich is the highest cost on the job