Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 14, 2024, 06:51:11 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Our Dog Carly

Started by Virgs Sew n Sew, August 18, 2014, 08:14:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Virgs Sew n Sew

Hubby and I adopted 2 rescue dogs (brother and sister) 11-1/2 years ago.  Carly has developed a "delicate" stomach over the last few years -- growly tummy if she eats too much rich food and sometimes even when she's just on her older dog kibble.  Fourth of July she had an accident in the house but we attributed it to the stress of the fireworks, cleaned things up with no scolding and went about normal business.  We then noticed that she would strain a little after bowel movements like she couldn't get everything out.  She has started having "accidents" about once or twice a week.  They are never firm but not horribly loose.  I took a stool specimen in first of last week.  Vet ruled out works, etc and recommended giving her Activia once or twice a day to see if that would get her back to normal.  Well, that seemed to get rid of the straining but really turned her stool about as loose as it could get.  I discontinued the Activia and put her on acidaphalous (misspelled I know but the active ingredient in yogurt).  We had another dog years ago that we gave one of those pills a day to keep his stool normal and it looked like a charm.  Yesterday things seemed great.  I took them out at 6 this morning and she pooped - maybe a little loose.  Was eating breakfast around 8 and she came charging out of the living room.  Took her out and she strained and strained to get one semi-loose turd out.  Came in the house and discovered that she had an accident in the living room.

So, with heavy heart I called the vet to make an appointment for her.  They are going to do a physical exam to make sure that she doesn't have any issues that can be cleared up with an antibiotic.  But we cannot justify several hundred dollars of lab work on a 12 year old dog.  Most importantly, our first rule is that we don't keep our pets alive just so we don't have to greave their loss.  I'm concerned that she's in pain and we just don't know it.  At any rate, if the vet's recommendation is a bunch of lab work "to see what's going on", hubby's directive is to have her put to sleep.

I've known for the last several years that we were to the point that this could happen sooner or later.  Of course, I was hoping that this day would not come for quite some time.  I'm also concerned about her litter mate and how he will deal with her loss.  I'm on the fence about replacing as I was attacked by an 85 to 90 pound dog several years ago and have a lot of issues about strange dogs and a huge, huge fear of being attacked again.  Needless to say, I'm not excited about going to look at dogs, especially where the mother is still around.

Hoping the vet will have a magic cure for her.

Virginia

BlueFlamingo

All I can say is...I know and wish you well!!!  It will get better with time!!!

kodydog

Best wishes at the vet. Putting a dog down is the hardest decision I've ever made. My thoughts are with you. I'm sure another furry friend will find his way into your heart.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

bobbin

Waiting for the "other shoe to drop" is not a fun position.  I'm a realist.  "Calling in the cavalry" for an ageing, infirm dog/cat isn't an option for me/us.  And throwing money at the inevitable has never been part of how we live, either!  I applaud you for that.  It takes guts to look reality in the face. 

We have a "new to us" kitty.  1 1/2 yrs. old and when she arrived here and naively we figured she'd hide from the 3 resident cats (adopted as kittens and now 10+ yrs. old).  NOPE.  She went on the offensive and attacked everyone (our mistake in allowing too much contact too soon).  So, any adoption can be "tough sleddin'".  It takes adjustment and time to get everyone in sych..  But everyone is now on brusque but cordial terms; some occasional hissing and growling, but no fisticuffs. 

We also have a 100# dog that we adopted 10 yrs. ago (neutered male).  Big, bold, "in your face", but also very smart and very loving.  And we took our elderly Springer in to meet him... she was really easy-going and there was no issue with her (we were more concerned about the cats but it was a non-issue). 

Take your time with an adoption.  We took a week to think about said dog.  We knew that serious "boot camp" would be required and we were prepared for the obedience work.  The greater point is that we followed through with the obedience work and ended up with a fabulous dog!  And a dog that would've likely been euthanized if we hadn't "sprung him from the joint" and put in the time. 

Take your time.  It's a big decision and it's not one you ought to make because you're worried about your remaining dog being "lonely".  You'll make the right decision; remember that it's not a "pressure question" and you have time on your side. 

I'm sorry about the upcoming app't..  Sucks, any way you look at it. 

SteveA

9 years ago our now 10 year old Chihuahua was having stomach issues.  We stopped the dog food and started cooking for him - chicken, rice, beef, pasta and sometimes mix it with vegetable baby food for starch - very bland.  The last 9 years perfect stool, perfect stomach.  We also give him half a pet tab every day.  Hope your pets are OK -
SA

bobbin

Our dog eats what virtually every vet. tells you not to feed your dog... leftovers!  And our vet. has always remarked/s at how great our dog/s have looked in advanced age (go figure).  I'm with Steve on this one.  "Dog food" is comprised of the nastiest of the nasties.  Everything left over at the abattoir is pumped into "pet food". 

We use some commercial dog "food", but for the most part? we recycle leftovers through the dog.  He gets a marrow bone section (2" section of some leg bone) every day.  His teeth are plaque-free, his breath is good (for a dog).  He dumps 2X daily and he's not fat, coat is beautiful, he's fully mobile (but slower now). 

Our vet. asked what we fed him.  When he heard "leftovers" he remarked that we must eat pretty well.  We do.  And building health is a big part of the way we live.  Our dog is but one beneficiary. 

Rock on, Steve!

Virgs Sew n Sew

Just back from the vet.  Carly is running a temp so she is on antibiotics for 6 days.  If not better after 4 days, vet wants to run a blood panel which would cost $90.00.  Hubby wants to do that much for her.  She's now back down in my studio where she likes to hang.

That would/will be the worst part for me as she spends as much time in my studio as I do.  She is an extremely loyal creature.  As I mentioned earlier, she & James were rescued along with 4 of their litter mates.  How many were dumped on the road side we don't know but 6 were rescued and put into "foster homes" until they could find permanent homes.  These were the last 2 left needing homes and neither one of us was willing to break them up so we adopted them both.

We used to feed them more table food than we do now.  Have tapered off a little as they have gotten older and have developed their delicate stomach issues.  When we first moved back to Nebraska (from Kansas), I worked at a dead stock removal company and I learned much about grading out dead stock and what is used in pet food.  Some brands are better than others.  We use Science Diet (was recommended by our Kansas Vet when our first Saint Bernard was having allergy issues.

I'm hoping that the antibiotics will due the trick.  James stole my heart when we first went to visit them but Carly won her position with her undying loyalty to me.

Thanks for all of your kindness.  So very much appreciated.

Virginia  :-*

bobbin

We eat a lot of whole grains (brown rice, bolghur, quinoa, beans etc.).  And we don't each much "processed" food; we buy ingredients.  And we actually cook, what a concept!  We buy meat from local farmers and only if they are members of MOFGA.  It's "expensive" but quality costs, and we don't eat meat at every meal!

We begin eating vegetables from our garden in early May and we can still have fresh salad greens  in late October.  So, anything that moves through us moves through our dog.  He's healthy, vigorous, and fit as a fiddle for 12 yrs. old and 100#.  He eats what we eat and he looks great!

You live in the heartland of slaughter.  You know well why we limit that garbage where our animals are concerned (since we don't eat it ourselves!).  If we won't eat it why would we feed it to our pets?

Virgs Sew n Sew

Yup, we won't feed other than Science Diet or Iams.  The absolute worst is Old Roy (Walmart).  Mostly filler and the worst of the worst.  As long as the stock is picked up early, it's not bad.  In the summer, most of what is picked up is not used for pet food, boiled and used for tallow or whatever.

Interestingly greyhounds that run are actually fed the top of the line dead stock (if such a thing exists).  Generally the cattle that die due to severe blizzards and such.  We made enough in the winter to last the runners all through the summer.   That was an interesting, if smelly, place to work. 

We limit our red meat intake, mostly because of the carbon imprint it takes to produce it.  We're not as green as we would like to be but are working on it.  We eat lots of salads and cheese mostly.  Occasionally chicken and pork.  About one cheeseburger a month and a steak about every 3 months.  Last steak we had did not even taste good and I never thought I would say that.

Virginia

Darren Henry

I'm sorry to hear what your up against. Know that I'm hoping the best for and Carly. I applaud Hubbies decission to at least do the blood panel. I feel exactly like you and He do; but I got to spend a few more good years with Buddy by not just writing him off with out proof.

QuoteThat would/will be the worst part for me as she spends as much time in my studio as I do.  She is an extremely loyal creature

That was Buddy, as well. When the old lady took the voluntary reduction in rank to part time, he just came where ever I went. No biggy when I still had my shop---but when I had to close it up and take the job with Bathfitter he just became my swamper. Didn't care what town, what motel, how long he had to sit in the van---he was all in. "Course couldn't leave him in the motel for 12-14 hrs a day so he waited patiently, even if it was 30 below, for me to take a quick break and warm the van up while we shared a couple of cookies [I always kept a bag between the seats because I didn't stop for lunch---never helped himself either no matter how hard he was shivering] That's him on the deck with me in my pic.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Mike

Sorry to hear back i. March my gigi had a. Loddy stool in the mor i g on the front porch.
Took her to the vet and he said she was ok. Then  a few day later it happe ed againg so with more different test show high number for her kidneys   They eanted to keep her overnight  to watch her that tirned i to all weekend and her test were worse so me and my. Rother had to make a decision to put her down not seing her. Nut when i saw her walk into the room to see us she was really visa ly sick   I had fo do this once before but this time was different as she looked her normal self when i left her.   So i had to go on what they said her condition was and further. Extensive money didnt make sence or was possible on a ten year old dog. 2 weeks later i ended up adopting 2 brother and sister pups. 13 weeks now twice there sizes.

Virgs Sew n Sew

Carly has had just one dose of the antibiotic the vet prescribed.  Stool was much firmer though she still strained a bit this morning.  As hubby said though, it may take a while for her to quit straining just because she is in the habit of straining now.  If her stool continues to look as good Friday as it does today but she is still straining, then we will have to call the vet to see if she wants to run the blood panel.  Hubby did say that she was concerned about the straining.

At any rate, I'm cautiously optimistic that she is improving.  She's been hanging with me all day with the exception of the hour I spent working on the dreaded VW in our garage.  Even that project seems to be going good today.

I'm always amazed at how attached we get to our 4 legged creatures.  These two have been a testament to what love does.  As I posted earlier, they are rescue dogs and it was very apparent that they had been horribly abused before they and their litter mates were dumped.  We've had them for close to 12 years and they still freak out over the vacuum cleaner.  I always go outside with them while hubby vacs.  It was months before hubby could pet the male as he was petrified of men.  Bob started making popcorn in the afternoon and sharing it with Jimmy and that won him over -- after all how can you be afraid of someone who feeds you popcorn? ; )  Now, James (Jimmy) welcomes anyone who comes in the door and generally pushes Carly out of the way if they start petting them as he wants all the attention.

Virginia

bobbin

That's great news, I imagine you feel better now, too!

Virgs Sew n Sew

Quote from: bobbin on August 19, 2014, 12:05:36 pm
That's great news, I imagine you feel better now, too!

Absolutely -- it is a huge relief!  I've really gotten way more attached to her since opening Sew & Sew, when Carly decided to become a cave dweller.

Virginia

Mike

Thats awsome   Virginia.