Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2024, 11:14:21 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

How's everyone liking their servo-motor?

Started by sofadoc, August 02, 2010, 02:54:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

That is one benefit of servos that I never mentioned..........noise.

It seems the older I get the more I hate annoying loud noises. I have found myself wearing hearing protection while on the tractor or in my woodshop running saws. The noise just drives me batsh** crazy. :)

I could never handle listening to a clutch motor run all day.

Chris

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Quote from: fragged8 on August 03, 2010, 02:39:40 pm
hiya

Russ at northcoast training center has about 10 machines in his place with Dc motors and most of them are for trainees
to bang away on so they get a lot of use, he still swears by them so they can't be bad.

added to this the silence is fantastic, like my Efka drive they only make a noise when they are sewing
and are not consuming electricity when resting, unlike a clutch motor that is chomping through your electric
bill all the time they are switched on.

I would be very surprised if a DC motor didn't save you $200 a year in electricity alone ?? care to answer that Gregg ?

Rich

Sure.  Servo motor claim to be about 65 percent more energy efficient compared to a clutch motor.  This has always been one of the selling points.  Keep in mind that this alone for some people is enough to purchase one.  Either they are 'Going Green' or live in an area or region where electricity is at a premium.

sofadoc

My electric company charges  a "demand fee" when my usage tops a certain point. This demand fee is an additonal $75 per month for one year. I now come in below that point, and the ONLY difference in my electric consumption is the servo motor.
My latest electric bill was $90 less than this time last year (after the demand fee was dropped).
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

bobbin

That's a lot of money.  It's a foregone conclusion that energy prices are only going to increase and we have to get serious about pollution associated with its creation pretty soon.  So any way we can minimize its consumption is a good thing.  And gaining better control of basic expenses plays a part in how profitable a business is. 

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Quote from: bobbin on August 05, 2010, 04:48:45 pm
That's a lot of money.  It's a foregone conclusion that energy prices are only going to increase and we have to get serious about pollution associated with its creation pretty soon.  So any way we can minimize its consumption is a good thing.  And gaining better control of basic expenses plays a part in how profitable a business is. 

Right.  I remember a 'going green' thread around here.  I remember saying that I was telling a customer about our servo motors, and after I told him about it being very energy efficient (Green) he was like "SOLD", and I wasn't even done talking about the motor!

lilsuz

Hi Ya'll

Been a while since I posted, I have some bad news... My "Reliable Sewquiet 3000" motor has pooped out on me. I've had a certified Electrician and also my hubby (with a Fluke Test Meter) check it out and it is definately dead. It's not a fuse, we've all determined that.

Not sure what it is exactly what's wrong with it, but I bought it new with my machine and have had it about 2 years. I'm not sure if mine was one of the ones considered an early version, but what seems to be selling now is the Reliable Sequiet 4000 motor.

I really loved it when I did use it, but really didn't get enough use out of it to say I even broke it in yet. Anyhow, thought I'd share. Unfortunately, it's no longer under warranty. Guess I got the lemon!

I did like the motor so much though, that I'd buy another, probably the 4000 version this time though.

rustyeod

I have two machines and they both have servo motors and love them.
I was at an Amish tack shop and all of their machines including a new Juki were driven by air motors.  It was pretty cool seeing their setup.

scarab29

I'm sure those "air "motors are really quiet.  8)
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

Bob T

I've been using two servo motors for 3 or 4 years and both have been great.  I liked them so much I set up my sister-in-law with one as a retirement gift.  She didn't use it for a year, then when she went to use it, it died on her almost immediately.   Luckily she was used to the clutch motor and had kept her old one, so she removed the servo and put the clutch motor back in.

I trust the servo's have been out long enough now to tell which ones are reliable and which one's aren't.

sofadoc

Well, there's 2 duds that we know of. Hopefully, the newer models have all the bugs worked out. Come to think of it, I don't ever remember a clutch motor going out. It would be nice if someone could do an autopsy on one of the dead ones. I'm curious about what fails on them.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Modern clutch motors are no more relaible than new servos. 

That said, the old clutch motors that were made domestically, or in Japan were always money, and built to great standards. 

ThrowMeAPillow

Hmmm... I've been out of the loop too long.
Servo Motors sound good; quiet, inexpensive to operate, "green", and they apparently make the little needle go up and down...

I need to look into getting about 4 of them...

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Quote from: ThrowMeAPillow on September 28, 2010, 04:53:08 am
Hmmm... I've been out of the loop too long.
Servo Motors sound good; quiet, inexpensive to operate, "green", and they apparently make the little needle go up and down...

I need to look into getting about 4 of them...

If only there were a person here to sell them to you... ::)

lilsuz

She didn't use it for a year, then when she went to use it, it died on her almost immediately. 
[/quote]

Bob,

That's interesting, because I had probably not used my Servo motor for about a year either! I was using the machine, but had a portable motor and a monster wheel on it because I'd been traveling with it to do some airplane patterning jobs and such.

I just wonder if having the Servo motor sit unused for a time would have been the culprit. Well, like everyone else here, I'm hoping they've worked out the bugs so when I get another, it won't die too soon.

On a happier note, I found a cool old Singer machine and picked it up today, it is a Singer 307G2, does zig zag. Has the original Singer table, Singer Motor, in very decent condition. I think it looks like it was probably manufactured in the 60's, judging from the pink and black Singer badge it has on it. Anyhow, I'm very happy with it and the motor still runs. Yippee!!

Bob T

My sister-in-laws son is quite savy when it comes to electronic controls of step motors and he was convinced some small part on the controller went out.  I should add that I bought all the servo motors from Neels Saddlery.  When I bought mine, there weren't a lot of choices so I made a choice and ran with it.  Recently I've been checking out Greggs offerings at Keystone and should one of my servo's go out or even show signs of weakness, I'd get a replacement from Gregg.   I believe him when he says he's checked out quite a few servo motors and he's offering the best he could find.  At least in appearance, they appear to be a generation newer than the ones I've purchased.  One thing is for sure, I wouldn't even consider going back to a clutch motor.