Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2024, 02:04:14 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

dealing with customers

Started by gene, June 24, 2016, 04:43:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

QuoteWinston Churchill

Nancy Astor and Winston Churchill seemed by all accounts to hate each other with a passion. At a dinner function one evening Churchill was his usual inebriated self. Churchill lived by the moto "Booze is good." Nancy Astor was, as usual, discusted with Churchill.

Anyway, this is one of my favorite quotes by Churchill:

Nancy Astor: "Sir, if you were my husband, I'd poison your tea."
Winston Churchill: "Madame, if you were my wife, I'd drink it!"

--------------------------------------
QuoteI thought Gene's remarks were both clever and funny.  Sorry if anyone was offended by them as I don't think that was his intent.

Isn't it amazing where our society has come with "offending" people. It used to be that if I was offended, that was my responsibility. Today it's your fault!

Peter Bogghosian is a professor of Critical Thinking at Portland State Universty. In a recent interview he said he had an upcoming meeting with a vice chairperson of the university. The purpose for the meeting: he was giving a class lecture and he referred to an inanimate object as "he" and he was reported to the university by a student for sexist speech.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

Quote from: Virgs Sew n Sew on July 01, 2016, 09:06:36 pm
Steve, don't want to be a grammar/punctuation cop.
Back in the day before this new fangled interweb, the term "functional illiterate" was quite common.
Many people functioned quite well in society without ever having mastered even reasonably proper English spelling and sentence structure.

But then one day, Al Gore handed each and every one of those people a keyboard. He didn't add any provisions like "But you have to learn how to use it right!"
People just started mashing buttons.....and away we went.

There are many Facebook posts that I find very difficult to read. The spelling is horrible, and many sentences go on for 3 or 4 paragraphs without even so much as a comma. Somebody will make a critical remark about it, and they immediately get accused of being a "Grammar Nazi".

The poor punctuation and spelling instances on this forum is actually quite minimal. Sure, there's the occasional misuse of their, there, and they're.........where, were, and we're..........your and you're.......to and too........and there is DEFINITELY no "A" in definitely. Affect is a verb, effect is a noun.

If anyone thinks that I'm inferring that your grammar is poor, I'm not............I'm implying (you're inferring).     
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Virgs Sew n Sew

Quote from: sofadoc on July 02, 2016, 07:11:15 am
Quote from: Virgs Sew n Sew on July 01, 2016, 09:06:36 pm
Steve, don't want to be a grammar/punctuation cop.
Back in the day before this new fangled interweb, the term "functional illiterate" was quite common.
Many people functioned quite well in society without ever having mastered even reasonably proper English spelling and sentence structure.

But then one day, Al Gore handed each and every one of those people a keyboard. He didn't add any provisions like "But you have to learn how to use it right!"
People just started mashing buttons.....and away we went.

There are many Facebook posts that I find very difficult to read. The spelling is horrible, and many sentences go on for 3 or 4 paragraphs without even so much as a comma. Somebody will make a critical remark about it, and they immediately get accused of being a "Grammar Nazi".

The poor punctuation and spelling instances on this forum is actually quite minimal. Sure, there's the occasional misuse of their, there, and they're.........where, were, and we're..........your and you're.......to and too........and there is DEFINITELY no "A" in definitely. Affect is a verb, effect is a noun.

If anyone thinks that I'm inferring that your grammar is poor, I'm not............I'm implying (you're inferring).     

Years ago, both Bob & I posted on a Huskers fan web site.  I was one of the first women to be accepted as a knowledgeable fan, probably because I didn't fess up to being a chick until they knew I was a serious fan and didn't think that I was posting because I thought that "fill in the blank with any current player" is dreamy.  Anyway, Bob's pet peeve was not knowing the difference between lose and loose.  I don't know how many times we saw this posted:  "I sure hope that the Huskers don't loose today."  I could see Bob's BP rise at least 50 points every time lose was misspelled.  The two, to and too, your and you're kind of get stuck in my craw but the older I get the easier it is to just let it go.  Walk on by, nothing there to see attitude I've adopted.

Virginia
Fuck this place.

sofadoc

Yeah, forgot about lose and loose. Also choose and chose.

And it drives me crazy when someone says "I'm going to sale my car". Then they run an ad saying "For Sell".

Darren Henry

with me it's people wanting me to borrow them money. [If I do I am lending---they are borrowing] and people aksing (pronounced axing) a question.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

sofadoc

Quote from: Darren Henry on July 02, 2016, 09:26:06 am
with me it's people wanting me to borrow them money. [If I do I am lending---they are borrowing] and people aksing (pronounced axing) a question.
My helper never says "Can I borrow $10?"

Instead, he'll say "Can I use $10?"

In his mind, the term "borrow" might imply that repayment is expected.

gene

July 03, 2016, 08:19:03 am #36 Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 08:19:41 am by gene
A customer wants 10 boxed cushion covers and says, "You can just whip that out, can't you?" Sure, during my lunch break.
-----------------------------
Business

It is NOT pronounced BID NISS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXcrpnmq8ak

-------

If it wasn't for pet peeves I don't think I would have anything to complain about?!? I guess I could complain about not having anything to complain about.

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

byhammerandhand

July 03, 2016, 04:20:09 pm #37 Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 04:23:27 pm by byhammerandhand
don't forget about ordinance, the stuff you put in guns and cannons.

And I'm waiting for a sports interview that happens without a liberal serving of "you know."   I did some work for a professional football lineman a few years ago.  Despite being a mountain of a guy, he is fairly well-spoken in interviews.

Has this topic drifted far enough yet?
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

Rich

Well, I have to admit that for some reason, I totally missed hammer's photo. Gene's comment did make more sense after I read the sign in the photo.
But sheesh!, it's amazing the things that get the most commented on in many forums.
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

sofadoc

Quote from: Rich on July 03, 2016, 06:17:55 pm
But sheesh!, it's amazing the things that get the most commented on in many forums.
All the upholstery topics have been beat into the ground.

Virgs Sew n Sew

July 04, 2016, 05:29:06 am #40 Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 01:34:27 pm by Virgs Sew n Sew
It's a long weekend, no one is working but yet have time on their hands to kibbish (kibbitz???)  a bit.  Love the word but not Jewish so not sure how to spell it,  hope y'all get the idea.

Happy 4th of July all!

Virginia
Fuck this place.

kodydog

Happy Independence Day y'all
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Rich

Quote from: Virgs Sew n Sew on July 04, 2016, 05:29:06 am
It's a long weekend, no one is working but yet have time on their hands to kibbish (kibbitz???)  a bit.  Love the word but not Jewish so not sure how to spell it,  hope y'all get the idea.

Happy 4th of July all!

Virginia

I grew up in Brooklyn-it's kibbitz and if you do it, you're a kibbitzer.
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

Virgs Sew n Sew

Thanks for the info Rick.  I don't like to intentionally use the wrong word.

So did you grow up a Dodgers Fan or did you "Come over to the dark side" and root for the Mets?

Virginia
Fuck this place.

Rich

I think the Dodgers left Brooklyn when I was still quite young. I was never much of a sports fan, but a friend that lived across the street was a die-hard Yankees fan, we used to collect baseball cards and even went to a Yankees game once.
Rich