Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2024, 03:17:00 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

So which do YOU prefer?

Started by sofadoc, October 02, 2013, 07:33:37 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbin

I already told you that.  You didn't believe me.  But you haven't explained to me how that works.  I think, Eric, if you'd gone a bit deeper than a cursory Google search you'd have provided a more extensive reply.  I contend that I called your bluff and you're back peddling now.  I never mentioned "democracy".  I used "democratic"...  . I further contend that you don't know the difference between the two.

Please explain to me why our form of government is NOT a democratic republic.     

Eric

Bobbin, again like your comments a year ago towards the tea party, you accuse and supply misinformation. I have no need to bluff nor backpedal, as I'm 100% positive the U.S.A. is a Republic. The pledge of allegiance does not say to the democratic republic, it says to the Republic. I know many on the left believe us to be a democracy, however, that is not case. I have done a cursory search on google as accussed, and provide a link to the Constitution. Please note article 4, section 4. Note it does not say democratic republic. I  can offhand state, that there is the democratic republic of congo, and I believe one of the korea's is also.
http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/charters/constitution_transcript.html
I do know the difference between a Republic and a democracy. Here in Wisconsin, Democracy voted to not allow gay marriage. How a Republic would have voted - we don't know.
Now, I'm happy to discuss health care, canvas, or business.
Eric

Mike

October 03, 2013, 03:55:59 pm #32 Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 04:12:05 pm by Mike
Quote from: Mojo on October 03, 2013, 05:43:14 am
. A perfect example is my chemo drug which runs around $ 4,000 per month.
I just found out a old friend of mine from NH has cancer and he gets a shot  every month or so that the cost is $11,000

Mike

Quote from: bobbin on October 02, 2013, 03:58:33 pm
Right now, providing insurance coverage for employees is a huge write off for major corporations... so the beneficiaries think of their health care as "free".  And the overwhelmingly powerful lobbyists (bolstered and further enriched by recent Supreme Court rulings) can deluge those very same ignorant voters with messages of "increased taxes".  Of course, none of those voters bothers to do the arithmetic and compares the increase in taxes to whatever they have to pay out of pocket to further fund their health care.  In general, most of them are too ignorant of how their democratic republic operates to see that they're basically voting against their own best interests.     

so true there Bobbin a buddy of mine a teamster has this way of thinking , his father after he retired was appalled at his new cost for healthcare now that he wasn't working

jojo

I wish this forum had a feature where you could vote up comments.

byhammerandhand

Yes, I hate 8 posts whose only content is
+1

Quote from: jojo on October 03, 2013, 08:34:12 pm
I wish this forum had a feature where you could vote up comments.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

scottymc

Interesting reading your opinions. Our health care over here is far from perfect, but if I have a heart attack but I'm flat broke i know I am going to get top treatment and not pay a cent. On the other hand, ten years ago I had to have the bone in my ear drilled out, it was not a priority operation so i went on a waiting list, took 2 years to get the first one done another 3 to do the second. A day before second op i got a phone call to say I was bumped as there were to many people on the list that had cancer, I was like whoa there's a list for cancer? Yep 3 months, I went out and signed up for private health cover that week, I'm happy to pay $50 a month for private.
I think our whole welfare system is different to yours, I am under the impression that if you own your own house you would not be allowed to collect welfare. Over here the house that you live in cannot be deemed an asset, so over here you can live in a million dollar house but if you are of low income you will get free healthcare or unemployment benefits if you lose your job without fear of losing your family home.
I can see that healthcare for you guys is a hard nut to crack, but along with your individual right to carry a gun, you need healthcare :)

scottymc

October 04, 2013, 05:41:25 am #37 Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 05:45:31 am by scottymc
Quote from: Mojo on October 03, 2013, 05:43:14 am
One of the biggest problems in the USA with our medical system is that it is a for profit industry and we allow health agencies to rape us. A perfect example is my chemo drug which runs around $ 4,000 per month. The same drug runs $ 500 per month in Europe on the open market. A hip replacement in Germany is around $ 20 K. In the USA it is well over $ 100 K.

I have a question for you Scotty and some of the Canadians we have on here. How many friends or family members have you heard of going without needed surgery or medications ?

Chris

We have surgeon down here that does hip replacements for americans, it is way cheaper for them to fly here be operated on and rent a house for 3 months to recuperate. The same doctor did an arthroscope on my shoulder through the public heath system 1 week wait didn't cost a cent, could have had it done private but there was a 3 month wait ::)  

Can't say I can, sometime have to wait for surgery if it's non urgent, the system is getting stretched to it's limits as our population explodes.

brmax

Scotty thats because we over here heard it realy nice there, the word got out and people are migrating that direction. I myself like a cold fosters now and then.
good day to ya

scottymc

We do have a lot of Americans, Canadians and Irish settling here. The population has doubled in 40 years and the government wants even more people. So eventually we will have all the same problems your country has. Not many people drink Fosters, Coopers sparkling ale.

A lot of people go on holidays to Asia for dental work and cosmetic surgery

brmax

I dont like going to any pub without trying the local favorite, so l will have the same and being a special season and all toast!
I better stick with the plastic masks over there, because that would take all the vacation time +, fixin this mug.
have a good day

Mojo

Did you know each Aussie State has their own beer ?

I only know of three but I am sure Scotty can name them all.  NSW - Tooheys, Queensland - XXXX, Victoria - VB ( Victoria Bitter ).

Your up Scotty. :)

I haven't had a drop of alcohol since the 80's. Alcohol in any form and even in tiny quantities makes me sicker then a dog. So I am the last person you ever want to take advice from in regards to drinks. :)

They refer to Fosters in most parts in Australia as Billy Goat P***. :) if you want to try an unusual
Aussie drink try a a Shanty. ( part 7-up part beer. )

Chris

brmax

sure didnt realize that, sounds like over here for some states. now days with all the micro breweries theres even more, i do recall the 7up and something i made called a slam in 80. its been awhile and will stay awhile. but a cold beer is always a pleasure, recalling october in germany and the festivites its a bit different method over there. they walk and have trains 
Good Day

jojo

I like beer AND Obamacare.  ;D

scottymc

Queensland-xxxx
New South Wales-Tooheys
Victoria- Victoria Bitter
Tasmania- Cascade ?
South Australia- West End
Western Australia- Emu Export
Northern Territory-  Vic Bitter
All these beers have one thing in common for me, I think there terrible.
They are the equivalent to your budweiser, more to do with advertising than good beer.

My pick of beer is anything from coopers in South Australia , Sparkling ale is my favourite, lovingly referred to as the drug in a bottle