Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2024, 04:35:33 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

JUKI LU-563 driving me insane

Started by njpatriot, November 30, 2011, 11:00:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbin

NJ, big on obedience work with our large dog (100+lbs.).  I have a friend who had 2 completely out of control Labs., at least until they had to spend 10 days w/me.   ;)  First thing I did was fit them with training collars and buy 6' leather leashes for them.  And I spent "20 minutes a day" on obedience work.  It really is that easy. 

They knew "sit", and quickly mastered, "down".   We learned, "leave it".  And then, "wait".  And it was obedience work at every opportunity.  When she picked them up they were different dogs; more mellow and confident, attentive, and a whole lot easier to control, lol.  They'd learned to listen to me, look to me for direction, and were secure that everything I asked them to do meant they'd get praise.  What a concept!

What a cool hobby!

Mojo

Quote from: bobbin on December 03, 2011, 05:34:45 am
They knew "sit", and quickly mastered, "down".   We learned, "leave it".  And then, "wait".  And it was obedience work at every opportunity.  When she picked them up they were different dogs; more mellow and confident, attentive, and a whole lot easier to control, lol.  They'd learned to listen to me, look to me for direction, and were secure that everything I asked them to do meant they'd get praise.  What a concept!

What a cool hobby!

I hope my wife doesn't see this post. She will be wanting to send me up there to you to be trained to do these things.  ;D

Chris

kodydog

December 03, 2011, 06:48:43 am #32 Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 06:50:50 am by kodydog
Bobbin that is quite a concept. One year for Christmas my sister in-law gave two cute furry puppies to her parents. They quickly grew into 80 lb uncontrollable devil dogs that everyone swore were dumb as rocks. But they loved them so that summer we drove to Pennsylvanian and spent a week building a fence and twice a day training.

First day on a 20' lung line. Every time the dog ran one way I went another. After 15 mins the dog learned to always keep an eye on me. We gave a crash course in all the basics but mostly heel and stay.

At the end of the week my sister in-law came over to watch us train. Her mouth hung open as the dog heeled next to me always keeping an eye on me. We did left and right turns, fast, slow, about turn, and when we stopped the dog automatically sat right next to me. I told the dog to stay and walked to the end of the leash, he never moved a mussel. Tons of praise. The sister in-law was dumbfounded and amazed.

At this point all the dogs needed was a once a week refresher. But of course nobody has time for that, and we live in Florida.

Point is almost any dog can be trained with as little as 15 min a day. Problem is the human needs to be trained first.

and it only took 3 pages to completely go off topic
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Vtool

has any one thought of a thread for different sewing machine help thread ? a place to post videos for individuals to view common problems. I have found this post helpful. Vtool

sofadoc

Quote from: kodydog on December 03, 2011, 06:48:43 am
and it only took 3 pages to completely go off topic

Yeah, if a newbie looked at the thread title, and skipped straight to page 3, he'd probably think that somebody named their dog "Juki Lu 563". :D

Not a bad idea. I could get an Akita, and name him "Juki". Then get him a companion German Shepherd and name him "Pfaff".
Then I'll get a mutt, and call him "Chandler". ;D
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

bobbin

I have a kitty who is a "talker", I could rename her Singer.  I like the idea of christening an Akita, Juki, too!

If I had 2 dogs or a 2 kittens I could name them Willcox and Gibbs...

Back to Vtool's suggestion, though.  It's a good one, it might be very helpful to be able to refer to a specific place on this site for specific machine help.  Would it be possible to archive videos, or would that hog up too much space and be redundant with YouTube offerings?

sofadoc

Quote from: bobbin on December 03, 2011, 08:40:57 am
would that hog up too much space and be redundant with YouTube offerings?

Hell ain't half full yet, and neither is Youtube. As long as we link to them, or whatever photo/video storage website that you choose, it sounds like a great idea.
Actually, this has pretty much been available to us for quite some time. But only recently have most of us become savvy enough to upload a video.
I agree that it would be nice to have a board devoted exclusively for sewing machine problems/instruction.

Setting up different boards seems to be Bobby's specialty. I know that he doesn't check in as much as he used to, but maybe he'll see this.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

kodydog

December 03, 2011, 09:42:51 am #37 Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 09:45:16 am by kodydog
Sewing machine problems are a hot topic. They always seem to go 3 or 4 pages.

and thanks Sofa for masterfully steering this topic back on track
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

njpatriot

I have learned more about my sewing machine from trying suggestions posted here.  Problem/instruction would be a great thread!  Little hints like" keep tension on the needle thread when starting" was useful.  I have used an old singer 30-15 for my basic sewing needs, but it is a world of difference from my Juki LU-563. 

Back to dogs, when training with them I always clean up their obedience and heal work by chewing on a hot dog.  When the dog looks up at me I spit a little at him and he gulps it down.  It keeps him looking up and where I want him along with a quick praise method that does not stop the exercise at hand.

Mojo

I am sorry about not having that manual. I lost the one Greg sent me when I changed laptops.

Sorry about that. Now I need another copy. :)

Chris

njpatriot

No problem.  Thanks for the effort.

Jeff