Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2024, 06:25:04 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Removing the back from this chair

Started by oldchairman, October 02, 2016, 12:15:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

oldchairman

I can't figure out how to remove the back of this chair.

http://imgur.com/a/omcMz

MinUph

Probably open up the OB and they will be screws inside. So when done you finish the OB after installing the back into the frame.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

oldchairman

OB? I can pry it open only a 1/8 inch but it's not sliding or moving in any direction. I cant see screws on it.

All the other screws for the arm wrests and seat are behind the chair back, so getting this piece off is the first step it seems.

MinUph

Are there any christmas trees holding it? Plastic rivet like parts that pry off? Maybe some brads driven through the fabric? Work a tool around the side of the Outside Back to see if there is a fastener that can be popped out. You will need to pry right next to the fastener to do this.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

gene

October 02, 2016, 07:46:07 pm #4 Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 07:49:22 pm by gene
I can not see from the pictures, but here is my guess.

There are screws that are holding the seat to the wooden frame and there are screws that are holding the back to the wooden frame. These screw holes are filled in on the sides of the wooden frames with wooden hole plugs.

If so, pop out the wooden plugs with an ice pick and then unscrew the seat and back from the wooden frame. If the wooden plugs do not pop out you may need to drill them out and replace them with new wooden plugs.

There will be staples across the bottom of the back. Take off the staples. This will loosen the bottom flap of both the front fabric panel and the back fabric panel.  The entire back panel may be nailed to the back. Pry it off with a metal pry bar. I would use my staple puller for this.

Gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

SteveA

Possibly cleats ?  Try to tap the OB with a rubber mallet upward ?
SA

brmax

Probably some fastener style through and securing on the cushion side, this maybe a screw through plastic or a snap fit type and either with a stem mounting. ?Is the back cover a solid piece across its width and covered with the material.
good day
Floyd

john21wall

Came across this post because my office chair backing came unscrewed and it had one of those plastic backs held on by the barbed posts. We finally got it off without cracking the plastic backing by using a crowbar inserted. Instead of prying the backing off, we twisted the crowbar and the barbed posts released.

MinUph

Quote from: john21wall on October 04, 2016, 02:00:09 am
Came across this post because my office chair backing came unscrewed and it had one of those plastic backs held on by the barbed posts. We finally got it off without cracking the plastic backing by using a crowbar inserted. Instead of prying the backing off, we twisted the crowbar and the barbed posts released.

Barbed posts = Christmas trees.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Darren Henry

QuoteWork a tool around the side of the Outside Back to see if there is a fastener that can be popped out.

I like to use a hacksaw blade for that if I can't just cut off the old fabric and see what's going on.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!