Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 17, 2024, 04:02:19 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Chanelled inside and outside back

Started by James, March 23, 2017, 05:40:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

James

I'd like to know how it was constructed , any thoughts?  ;D 8)

http://i.imgur.com/R9xXi1L.jpg

kodydog

I have a few ideas spinning around in my head including socking it onto the frame It would be fun to take it apart just to see how they did it. I'm guessing it's a mid-century piece. Neat.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

MinUph

This has to be a pullover, one big bag. All sewn filled and then pulled over. Very hard to re-do because when all new everything is smooth and done by design and probably machine. I doubt it old furniture. It may turn out to be quite new.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

baileyuph

I suggest it is done with today's technology in terms of patterning the channels which go
up and over then down again.  The technology today provides the type of systematic patterning and sewing that is detected, especially the type of accuracy shown here.

I work with quite of bit of the new furniture that incorporates some of these challenges on inside backs and arms with intricate pillows and such.  Usually today's high tech furniture (I didn't suggest high quality please note) like this represents integrated systems on inside and even bottom cushions.  I visualize what I see in modern production; as a group of systems that are finished and fill on the machine and then installed on the furniture frames - in one fell swoop!  So to speak.
This concept can be visualized as one that has replaced the layer at a time process that most of us grew up with.  That is not a bad way but isn't as cost effective or precisely handled, needless to say.

Back to the red channel sofa - I visualize it could be integration of (3) sub systems - then the final integration of the (3)  is accomplished by the frame attachments.  That is (1)  The center subsystem is the inside center back and front, then (2 & 3) of course are last two sub systems (arms inside and outside) which serve as the arm coverings.  This way the installation experts will handle the mitering of subsystem (1) and (2 & 3) which essentially accomplishes the final cover for the region (sofa).

To add to that overview, I can see the subsystems are made as precision sacks (the outer cover plus an inside lining backing of a synthetic type of material, then the synthetic filler is blown into the channel sacks (which are previously sewn sacks as suggested above - in the subsystem integration.  One important thing that should be picked up on by the experienced is; the sacks are patterned perfectly (yes the outer finish material and the synthetic lining as well) and this accomplishment highly suggest that high technology patterning and sewing is incorporated.  The higher technology is also used to fill the channel sacks (this is important because each sack requires equal amount.

Whew!  Needless to say or suggest that this is a new piece of furniture!

James, can I ask where did this image come from?

Thanks for presenting the image,

Doyle

A comment as it relates, I who do equally furniture and auto am seeing similar technology 
represented in both fields (factory work).  It often gives us challenges because today's custom shop equipment  (even the new) has not advanced as rapidly as factory mass production.  This difference is increasing as we talk today.

James

March 23, 2017, 10:56:54 pm #4 Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 01:22:30 am by James
What interesting comments!

Thank you DB, the image is of furniture from Drai's nightclub in Vancouver that just opened.

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Drai's+Vancouver/@49.2868467,-123.1263794,17z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x548671813b9815bb:0xa0ae5343f01a2f06!8m2!3d49.2868467!4d-123.1241854

That link will take you to pictures and street view of the inside of the club.

Virgs Sew n Sew

Very cool establishment.  When my ship comes in, I truly want to visit Canada.

Virginia
Fuck this place.

Darren Henry

You and Bob always have a hot and a cot waiting here in the middle of the country. You'd be two days driving from the wet coast or you can fly direct to Brandon via Calgary with West-Jet.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Virgs Sew n Sew

Quote from: Darren Henry on March 25, 2017, 09:27:54 am
You and Bob always have a hot and a cot waiting here in the middle of the country. You'd be two days driving from the wet coast or you can fly direct to Brandon via Calgary with West-Jet.

Thanks!  So nice to know and we may just take you up on that one of these days!

Virginia
Fuck this place.