Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 11, 2024, 03:28:01 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Cherry Leg

Started by SteveA, June 06, 2016, 06:54:49 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveA

Two dressers in for missing parts.  Although it pays well to repair I hate when customers loose the parts and think it's nothing to repair.
I much rather re-glue and touch up than all that shaping, sanding, and retouching -
SA

baileyuph

Very good job on restoring the missing wood Steve.  Give some insights of your restoration technique, mainly eye ball with checks by measurements?

Also, walk us through your refinishing approach, I am sure there will be a (to some degree) a redo of the entire legs.

Again, great work.  How much time do do the legs?

Couple hours?
Doyle

kodydog

Nice job Steve, wow.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

byhammerandhand

Great job.

"All you have to do is ..."  -- words that send me running.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

Darren Henry

Great job Steve.

QuoteI much rather re-glue and touch up than all that shaping, sanding

I kinda like rebuilding like that (it's like making heels again LOL) ----as long as the customer realizes that it is not a 10 minute fix.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

SteveA

June 07, 2016, 08:03:42 am #5 Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 08:08:15 am by SteveA
Thanks all for kind words.

Doyle - The far left leg pictured was taken off to use as a template.  Both damaged legs lost pieces that were from laminates so the loss was a perfect flat area.  Didn't have cherry but no matter - I glued on a block of maple just proud of the loss and bigger than all boundaries.  Using the intact leg - drew lines across the front foot to delineate the height of the toe and pad.  Using a dovetail saw, the band saw, dremel tool and 120 grit garnet sandpaper  - the shape formed satisfactorily.  One hour per foot from the time I started carving.
Coloring is the easy part with blendal powders working transparent -  followed by touch up pigment spray toners - nutmeg, dark oak, an overtone of light mahogany dye - sealed by flat clear.  Looks good - I'll post a finished photo -
Could the entire leg have been refinished - sure - but with the maple it would have been trouble matching so spot repair was easier.

SA

Darren Henry

QuoteUsing a dovetail saw, the band saw, dremel tool......

My weapon of choice, once I've roughed it out on the bandsaw is a drum sander mounted on a stationary motor or one of those stationary belt/disc sanders. I find it easier to work the piece against a fixed surface than to try to hold the project and use a dremel etc...with the other hand.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

brmax

Great job Steve
It was tough wondering how flat the break, no doubt a quality repair I commend you as they are very tough.  Only 8 produced to my name and sold, noticing the rasp you show is a prize and not cheap.

Good day there
Floyd

baileyuph

Steve,

Really appreciate your analytical description of replacing the wood and restoring the shape.
The project is certainly a credit to your knowledge and skills.

Visualization of the outcome convinces that the piece of furniture is made of quality woods, unlike so much of the new today.  The toning handled the way you did puts the project over the top in that quality still looks built into the piece.

You are the man!  

Thanks for sharing,

Doyle

SteveA

I didn't use the drum sander although I have a craftsman oscillating spindle sander that takes a small 1/2 inch drum.  I guess if I was refinishing the entire leg  sanding more of the finished wood would not have mattered.  Since I was only spot coloring the new wood I could control the dremel in close quarters.  
The dremel does have a small 60 grit drum sander attachment which I used just before hand sanding.  The primary bit I used was a course wood rasp with a rounded over nose that allowed accurate control while hogging out the waste. The dremel advantage is that it can start at zero rpm unlike the drum sander -
Weapon(s) of Choice - now you're TALKING !
SA

SteveA

Ready for delivery -

kodydog

June 09, 2016, 05:25:23 pm #11 Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 05:26:02 pm by kodydog
Wow Steve, that looks good as new.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Darren Henry

Awesome job on the re finishing as well Steve.

This is the rig I have here in Brandon for when I relapse into shoe making mode that I was talking about.

It's a lot more portable than my finisher back in Kenora. LOL.

The newer finishers are a lot easier to use as they are a continuous belt so you don't feel the "bump" where the paper fits into the wheel. They also come with what is called a naumkeg wheel. It's basically an upside down  mushroom wrapped in sand paper to reach into tight spots.

It's that motor/gadget on the top front of the machine.

Now that's a Tim Taylor approved "weapon of choice" . grunt,grunt grunt

Virgs Sew n Sew

Quote from: Darren Henry on June 10, 2016, 03:47:26 pm

[It's that motor/gadget on the top front of the machine.

Now that's a Tim Taylor approved "weapon of choice" . grunt,grunt grunt

You people are sick!  ; )

My BIL, George, who I speak of from time to time is also a Tool Time junkie.  I swear he has every power tool known to man and probably several that are not known to man.

Virginia
Fuck this place.