Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 11, 2024, 11:33:40 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Lap Desk

Started by SteveA, April 09, 2016, 12:38:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveA

Complete restoration - repair crack across top from shrinkage - all brass corners loose, interior panel that conceals drawers was missing, hinges stripped out, refinish mahogany with oak dye and gloss lacquer rubbed to satin.  The upholstery part ...... Lay new leather top and gold tool the edges.  New key to fit old lock.  This was one of the biggest desks I've seen in this style -  a months work on and off.  It's mine - garage sale find for $ 30.00 due to prior damaged condition.
SA

MinUph

Nice desk Steve. That must have been fun to restore. Especially for yourself.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Mojo

Awesome. I love cool things like this. :)

Virgs Sew n Sew

Love it!  Is it, as it sounds, a desk that sits on your lap or are there legs still to be attached?  How old is that sucker?

Virginia
Fuck this place.

SteveA

You know I may have mis-spoke regarding its use.  I told you it was a big desk and maybe more than you would really sit on your lap but not impossible.  It is Campaign furniture from the late 19th century.  I can tell the age by the kind of mahogany, stamped brasses, and joinery.  The handles on the side make it more of a portable desk  than a lap desk but good catch there V.

SA

Virgs Sew n Sew

Either way that is one gorgeous item Steve.  I'm actually kind of jealous of you.  First you found it.  Second you could do the refinish on the wood as well as the upholstery.  You have every right to be proud of that piece!

Virginia
Fuck this place.