Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 11, 2024, 02:19:58 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

I Hate When that Happens

Started by SteveA, March 20, 2016, 10:46:40 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveA

What raises your blood pressure ?

Finally got that corner perfect - picked up the gun - shot a staple - and the gun was empty  -

SA

Virgs Sew n Sew

LOL, I can totally relate.  I'm stretching those dining room chairs.  Got the fabric pulled absolutely perfectly tight yesterday.  Reached for my staple, squeezed the trigger, yup -- no staples.  I was not a happy girl as I just want to get these things stretched as quickly as I can.  I'm glad to be doing some kind of work again but by the time I get about 2-1/2 sides done, my lower leg is swelling and I just want to get on the couch with my leg on top of 2 pillows with an ice pack on my knee.  Yup, that definitely is raising my blood pressure.  Also, contractors that are lying scum bags really get my bp rising.  Whole 'nuther topic though! : (

Virginia

sofadoc

That's one of Murphy's Laws of re-upholstering.

And for some reason, the gun is also always empty when I pick it up and shoot it for the first time every morning. It's like somebody came in during the night, and emptied the magazine. Or the staples just vaporized while the gun sat idle all night.

What are the odds that I just happen to always end the previous work day by shooting the last staple?
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

SteveA

The Phone rings and the compressor goes off :)

SA

Virgs Sew n Sew

March 21, 2016, 07:48:11 am #4 Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 09:24:20 am by Virgs Sew n Sew
I guess I'm not a "real" upholster because I've never gone the compressor route for my stapler.  Lots of reasons really.  Every compressor I've seen weighs more than I and my fused back want to tote around.  Our dogs absolutely hate the compressor noise when we have remodeling done.  Also, the amount of work that I do needing stapling varies considerably.  I was seriously busy last fall but went at least 2 - 3 months without even looking at my stapler.  So, I don't want to plunk down that chunk of change for compressor/stapler.

Started a job not long before Missy did me in that needed stapling (dining room chairs).  I have 2 staplers, both electric.  One is a carpet stapler and it is my workhorse but not suited for every job and fabric.  I go to HD and buy the best non compressor electric stapler.  So started stapling with my HD stapler and it puked and died.  Bought a new one because I had used the old one enough that I felt I had gotten my money's worth.  Didn't even get one chair finished with the new one and it broke so took my receipt and exchanged it.  Replacement has done very well.  Minimal cursing at for being a piece of junk that I can live with it.  Was stapling the last side of the 5th dining room chair yesterday afternoon and ran out of staples.  Went to open the back to load it and it wouldn't open.  I gave it one ferocious tug and the pull and spring broke off.  Needless to say, this has me very unhappy as hobbling around HD is the last thing I need to be doing right now.  Allegedly, my remodler is coming by today (BWA HA HAAAA) but after he leaves for the day (probably around 2 or 3), I'll call HD and give them the number off my receipt and tell them all about my busted knee and see if they can have the replacement at the service counter.  Just want to get these chairs done.  Next, I want to attack my stove top and kitchen cabinets but want to get these chairs out of my hair first.  So that's my I Hate When That Happens for the day.

SteveA

V
Can't agree with your first sentence - you know your way around a textile or two ! 
My compressor powers my spray gun, grinders, water sanders, etc.  Can't live without it.   Also I think the cost of air powered staplers is much less and they are made better.
My limitations though are working space and old knees ......  we all make due somehow ! 

Kindly
SA

sofadoc

Never liked electric staplers. They all either lacked enough power, or they broke down easily.
Like Steve, I use air for a number of tools besides just a stapler.

True, compressors are heavy and loud. But since I unloaded mine off the truck and sat it in my shop over 20 years ago, I have never moved it even once since then. I keep it in my back store room, and run 100 ft. hose into my main work area, so I can barely even hear it when it comes on.

My next project is to get a bigger compressor with more tank capacity and air volume (CFM). Some of my tools are real "air hogs", and my 1HP 20 gal compressor can't always keep up.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

SteveA

Good luck Doc with a new purchase - here's some of what I researched - hope it helps -

100 feet is a long way for me with the spray gun ...that much rubber is not ideal - I have a 50 foot run with galvanized - moisture trap -  than a 12 foot poly hose. A bigger tank allows me to spray a larger surface without the compressor kicking on in the middle of a pass.  The staple guns don't trigger the compressor much at all -  220 volt - single phase - single stage - oil lubricated , aluminum  pump -3 HP - 30 gallons. .... is what I have - I know technology keeps improving tools but my compressor is 28 years old - never had a problem.  I would buy it again - Ingersoll Rand -   If I upgraded I'd get the cast iron pump, 2 stage, magnetic starter,  60 gallon, 5 HP.  I know both are a little overkill but knowing there's power to spare was a good feeling for me. 
Also take a lot of time to make sure every connection is tight and no leaks.
SA

scottymc

Yesterday was stapling a few chairs, every time I ran out of staples I go and get some more put them on the bench use the stapler again and then load it :-[ did this 3 or 4 times ;D

Darren Henry

QuoteI go and get some more put them on the bench use the stapler again and then load it

When I do that I plea "intense concentration on the project"----those around me argue "old timer's" LOL.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!