Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 11, 2024, 09:59:02 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Old Singer

Started by SteveA, July 23, 2015, 02:21:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveA

This came in last week - just finished it up.  s/n dates to 1941 - I think it's a model 99 ?
Refinished the case - made a new key - cleaned the machine -  beautiful quality wood case from years ago. I forgot to take a before picture -
The machine works - everything is there - it wasn't a premier model but solid as can be.  No Plastic ! 
The water decal came from a company called Singer Decals.Com - nice folks !

kodydog

Back then everything had style. Just look at that case. Nice job Steve.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

gene

July 23, 2015, 07:03:09 pm #2 Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 07:05:07 pm by gene
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNiSO5EcLXw

Now give me that old time Singer
Give me that old time Singer
Give me that old time Singer
And it's good enough for me.

It was good for our mothers,

Makes me love everybody,
Makes me love everybody,
Makes me love everybody,
Well, not really.

It was good for our fathers,

OK. That's enough singin', hollerin', and hoopin'. Back to work.

gene

PS: Nice work, SteveA. And what a beauty. A lot of folks are buying old, rusty sewing machines as accent pieces for their homes.
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

baileyuph

One nice piece of finishing and detail work. 

Maybe supurfluous, but step me through replacing the bent veneer piece.  That requirement would likely come up with curved pieces this old.

The veneer thickness - about 5/32 inch?

The bending technique involve(veneer would probably be too thick to readily bend) wetting before the process?  Then I guess the piece is held by a/the jig until dry, then glued and held in place until glue dries?

Just curious, your beautiful work spurs additional thinking.

Doyle

SteveA

That veneer was original but if I had to re-veneer it I would find a veneer as thin as you can find or alternatively a thickness that you can go to work on with a scraper.  The original case was probably bent with steam heat in a form using presses. 

If I had to do something like that today it might be easier to build a new 1/4 inch thick bent panel already veneered before bending  then to re-veneer that bent form.  But if I had to re-veneer it I'd use hot hide glue and hope for the best.  I never used a vacuum bag but that with urea resin glue could work as well.
SA

baileyuph

Very interesting Steve.  I am passing the information on because have knowledge where one is that needs the shaped cover.  This machine must be the next model, it has so many attachments and capabilities it is amazing.  I believe this machine was made around the late 20's or early 30's, sews like a dream.

The added good thing you provided is the decals (sounds like close to originals) may be available.  Those were decorative machines back then as well as functional.

Unlike our industrials. 

I believe Singer was also built in Europe, right?

About the key you made, can you get/or make one of those keys for a machine?

Doyle

SteveA

The cost to make a cover is expensive.  The easier choice is find one in a swap meet - they are easy to come by.  I'm not sure where they are made - I  know Canada did some manufacturing of the machines.
The lock can be opened with a small screwdriver.  The uniqueness about the key is that when you open the lock the key is captured in the lock so it doesn't get lost.  I had one old original key in my stash and didn't want to give it to the client so I copied it using the grinder and files and a key blank that was close.  My key that I had says Singer Co on it so I'm keeping it for the next time I need the pattern. 
The decal is based on the original except it's vinyl rather then the originals that were lithos. 
Doyle how's your finishing and repairs going.  Are you happy with the suppliers you have - for some crazy reason the more the States put restrictions on the chemicals the more easily they seem to be available.  I can buy lacquer in my hardware store - never could before except for a kraylon spray can.  I'll take a photo of the key and post it later -

Regards,
SA

baileyuph

Steve,
Wood repairs are going well, actually all my special work is.  Seems that is something the consumer is not able to compare my prices to.  Wood repairs for the type of work I gather is very profitable. 

I just bought a $150 clamp, well few months ago, and it has made me good money. 

I find, that if your work can be compared with new replacements, the consumers are more likely to be driven by price.

Another specialty that is paying off is old head liners in autos, anything pre 19 (mid 70's).  Reason is, totally different head liner, no someting that is "just" glued in.  There are few around who even know how to do it.  It is that way with anything that doesn't have a keyboard attached.

I have another specialty that I don't talk much about because I don't want to encourage moon lighters to jump in.  My marketing is already set up and doing a good sales job.  I design and do the real patterning, cutting, and sewing.  We are looking into a patent and if we get that, I may start another company totally separate.  It involves some of the stuff MoJo does but our approach is more automated and computer driven.  The math in the software will collect pattern x - y - z coordinates and transform those in a two dimensional plane (doesn't that sound like a pattern analytic!!!!).  Then, the if you want to know how accurate you are, there is statistical analysis appended to answer that.  So, depends on the accuracy but understanding theoretical statistics just keep enhancing your input to get the parameters that meet product specs. 

Oh, the computer drawing, cutting, and patterning has already been proven in the CAD programs. 

Never a dull moment.  Someone asked how long it took to learn what I do, I went hmmmm..........for a short moment and answered:  "I will let you know" !!  He caught on quickly and said;  "still learning!"  I responed amen brother, because everything keeps changing. 

Anyway the old Singer, I am amazed at the state of the analogue capabilities almost.....
well over 75 years ago.

BTW, Steve what is your clear coat on the Singer cover, shines like poly......

Doyle

SteveA

Doyle
Best of luck with the business variations you mention.  On one hand do you stick to what you do best and refine your craft until the public considers you a master at it or spread out over different platforms and see what takes hold ?  Choices - choices ?

The most expensive clamp I ever purchased was made by Wetzler - 14 inch deep bar clamp - extra heavy.  Lately I haven't bought much new rather I go to garage sales and look for tools and hardware usually priced at a fraction from the new cost

The wood case is gloss lacquer.  I shines like that because it's the look off the gun.  I won't rub it for 30 days or so but was anxious to post it to the site since this is where stitchers live and thought it would be appreciated for its age and quality.  I like using poly and varnish but drying time is a pain.

Regards,
SA

Mike

When young i ised to work in a wood shop maki g office furniture some of the things we did was round end tables for waiting rooms. Wood veneer. To make the round after. Uilding a round frame with studs as i a wall arou d the circle with a flat round top a d bottom.  We would then wrap a thin maybe 1/8" sheet of be ding board around the outside of the studs. Bending board has a grain in one direction with 2 thin outer skins with the grain 90degrees oposite tis allowed bending the sheet.  then a top 1/4" thick wood finnish panel glued to the top and routed flush with the round edge then a thin wallpaper like wood venner was added to the roind sides to finnish the table. This caninate could be manr the same way.