Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 03, 2024, 12:48:22 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Small item storage

Started by brmax, March 10, 2014, 06:42:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

brmax

Can I put this up for some ideas needed for myself and possibly others can use also.
I am looking at small storage options for snaps and there seems to be several types in use, I probably could use some storage for this in a mobile situation also. Now if anyone is at the bench or table of course  a bigger option could be needed or wanted so those comments are most welcome. I am finding things need space and you most likely have the good answers.
If its blue and at wallgreens I can take a look, or red and at wallyworld I have a day to stop there also.

Thanks Everyone

jojo

I use a parachute bag.

http://www.amazon.com/Bucket-Boss-25005-Parachute-18-Pocket/dp/B000037X0O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1394503762&sr=8-1&keywords=parachute+bag

You can separate caps, sockets, studs, eyelets, screw in studs, and I keep misc. things in the other pockets, like the other dies for the Pres N Snap tool, the rubber gasket things, etc. This way it's easy to go mobile and you can use it in the shop as well. The surplus that won't fit in the bag stays in the package on the shelf.

Mike

March 10, 2014, 08:20:51 pm #2 Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 08:30:31 pm by Mike
well I have 2 soft tool carry boxes / bags from home depot so there good on a boat  used for making patterns carrying seam tape strapping tape scissors markers and clamps, everything beside the patterning plastic the second  bag I used for installs carrying drills snap tools and I have plastic storages boxes used for storing fishing lures for the caps and sockets ect..

in my shop I have plastib bun on the wall for bulk snaps ant frame fittings ect seem  above my workbench,  you always need more though

Grebo

March 11, 2014, 01:41:57 am #3 Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 01:50:13 am by Grebo
 saw this idea some years ago, it was being sold as a complete fitting kit ( could have been sailrite ). Nice but with a price tag to match, so I just copied the idea. Did some hunting about for the right boxes, close fitting lids so the pieces didn't get all mixed up, the main box got the 'jacket' when the bottom cracked with all the weight.
It usually lives in the van & I just take out the relevant box for the job, see the snap box is missing today.
I since seem some good looking fishing boxes that may also do the job.
The shop stowage is mixed, still a work in progress, I don't use a large quantity of anything but I do need a wide variety.
My customers are multi national with boats to match.
( We have been having a sort out hence the labels )

[

Nice bag jojo, I never seen one of those.

Suzi

byhammerandhand

March 11, 2014, 05:59:12 am #4 Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 06:03:49 am by byhammerandhand
I have a bunch of these:
http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=portable+parts+storage+case

Some advantages:
- Cheap (often on sale for about 1/2 list price, or use the ubiquitous 20-25% coupons)
- The inserts are removable so you can either pull out what you need and work from that or reorganize the layout
- Stack well (I built a box out of scrap plywood that hold them and make like a drawer unit
- Two half-width models take up the space of one full width for stacking
- One double height model takes up the space of one full height model for stacking.
- Stays closed so you can carry with the handle
- Cheap

Disadvantages:
- The label is tough to get off.   After I got the first one off, I left the rest on.
- The lid only opens about 90 degrees.   Stays open, but wished it opened more
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

brmax

I just want to personally thank each of you all this morning.  I am going to use the ideas today and get some organization, I totally get the soft bag and not sliding much on the surfaces (in my head anyway) that's cool. The secure organization with the containers is great and putting them together is needed in my case. I have looked at different things but none seem to hit home till these pictures, bag and box is needed. Thanks again
Good Day

byhammerandhand

Here's some of my storage:
In the van for on site work

In the shop, screws

In the shop, less-used hardware
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

Tejas

Dave

Juki 1508; Bernina 217 with CAM Reader

JuneC

I use several of the boxes from Harbor Freight like Keith.  They're really good for snap kit stuff and other fasteners and punches/dies, etc. 

For the truck storage, I also have one of these...

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Plano-1364-4-Rack-Tackle-System-With-Worm-Wrap&i=612337

Love it! 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

brmax

Just wanted to say thanks for the pics guys, I was able to take a ride to the Harbor F store. I did forget my printed coupons on the desk so having a nephew in the town I gave him a ring( hey can ya print a coupon ) sure. This was for the large 20 bin on sale, lucky I called the store as the internet site said a backorder on both big ones. Anyway things worked out and had lunch, stoped in HF and picked up some  20 bins and a couple 8 bin boxes. I think my nephew decided he needed a buggie so I graciously gave my opinion on everthing he looked at ?. I looked at some rigger bags they were ok but had no pockets and I had drug one around a year part time on a red iron building crew when a junior in high school.
June I noticed a box like the plano you mentioned and thought it had the boxes as Suzi also used so I picked one up at 14.00 kinda looks like a knockoff.  Considering using as a machine extra parts stash as I need that. The bag hunt is still on as nothing found today is up to par as mentioned above and HF was the only stop as I was ask to look at a possible small ag grain trailer cover.? Maybe later in the week I can take a look at the lumber stores.
Thanks Again

Darren Henry

The only thing that I can add is that : on top of most of those solutions shown we also store alot of stuff in well labelled tobacco cans. They hold 43 - 1" side release buckles BTW (I just did inventory). Back then we used to use baby food jars and pint sealers---but you can also screw their lids to the bottom of an over head cupboard and twist them off form there for access.

QuoteThe bag hunt is still on as nothing found today is up to par

I made the last one I acquired. I used what you-all call Herculite with a 1/4 " plywood "floor" to hold the shape and 1" poly webbing handles.The pockets on the outside are specifically sized for what they hold---bottle of carpenter's glue..."that big" etc...
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

byhammerandhand

Keith