Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 05, 2024, 07:35:17 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Wood working business coming in soon

Started by baileyuph, December 03, 2015, 06:26:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

Customer for some years is bringing in dining room chairs, 85 years old, that could use the center piece in backrest replaced.

The original is 3/8ths walnut veneer.  The design has to be routed for precision of internal pattern, design essentially includes internal cutting, a band saw won't work as the work is like cutting enclosed shapes .

The center panels (with sawed design internally mentioned) are approximately 18" x 7". 

The center piece being replaced is slipped in a grove at bottom rung (just above seat bottom) and same at the top side to side back frame member.

I was wondering, due to the age of these chairs, was routing the method of creating curved  internal designs in chair backs like this - that long ago?  Looks to precise to have been done by a wood shaper, a perfect jig that guided a router blade around instead. 
  I don't have a picture yet which would help.

Beautiful chairs the only problem with existing back is; veneer is cracking -- the reason for replacement.

Any of you have experiences/knowledge in doing this type of work?

I suspect there are three or four of you who fully understand this issue and could discuss your or a design cutting technique.

Thanks in advance,

Doyle

MinUph

I don't understand. You need to replace the center panel but state it has to be routed to fit. Doesn't this panel fit into the top rail and bottom rail of the back? These two rail would be the ones that are routed.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

byhammerandhand

December 03, 2015, 07:18:43 pm #2 Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 07:20:06 pm by byhammerandhand
Assuming I understand what you describe.*

Might have been a "pin router" aka "inverted router"    I've seen some that are probably that old.

https://www.cronsrud.com/inverted_routers.html

You create a master pattern and temporarily attach it to the top of the piece you are routing.   Then the pattern guides the piece over the router bit.

Just a CWAG, but seems it would be the production technique, now done by CNC routers.  Would be much faster and more accurate than scroll sawing.

* I once learned there are three parts to any communication:
1. What you mean
2. What you have said
3. What I understood from your words.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

baileyuph

December 03, 2015, 07:46:44 pm #3 Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 08:06:14 pm by DB
Hammer you understand what I was describing.  I appreciate your input and am absorbing.

Paul - the design has to be recreated in the panel (my consternation) then installation will take place and no additional routing required.

Thanks for asking for clarity - others will benefit probably.

Doyle

byhammerandhand

At the last woodworking club a guy was selling a shop-made inverted-inverted router.  Think of something that looked like a radial arm saw.   The bed had a little pin on it and the router was held in a gantry above it.   There was a lever to plunge in the router, then move the piece around by hand, guided by the pin (being careful to keep your fingers out of the way).
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

brmax

Doyle I'm not picking up what your putting down, please help. Anyhow you must have been busy of late.
Good to see ya on here. 
I'm reading something like 3/8" wood with a veneer layer of walnut, or I think I'm hearing veneer as its just thin 3/8" walnut.
If the projects going to need a scroll saw type cutting it will take some time for sure, also if it has to be sculpted like some we see it could be enjoyable but would take me ages. Maybe this is a hurry up Christmas offering, good luck.
Floyd

baileyuph

Floyd, I think you understand, the plywood is not 3/8 inch thick walnut.  Outside surface is the only walnut (both sides in this case because panel is seen at front or rear of chair.

The panel installed in the backrest frame has an intricate design within the rectangular panel.  To saw the design (considered an "S" design -- opposed to circular) is difficult or
a different challenge than using a band saw or scroll saw which would start cutting at the perimeter of the panel.  The S design requires cutting to start interally to the rectangular.

The cutting instrument that Hammer has provided picture of would work, but something that
I don't have.  A hand router is the closest but accuracy becomes an issue.

At the moment the way to accomplish might be to contract the work with a shop equipped with the right equipment.

Even then, using an original as a template, duplication with highest accuracy would be to
use the pin cutting device and cut the four requirements in one pass.  As a sandwich, that is.  That would offer the best procedure of having all four equal.  Four different passes would, at best, provide 4 that are similar but with lower probability of being the same.

Woodworking can get deep, not all wood workers are into design and sawing at this
level.  Hammer and others with more experience could voice this point better.

Yes, busy busy! 

Doyle

kodydog

I'm not as skilled in woodworking as some on here. To tell you the truth I'm not even sure what your all talking about. But if all that is wrong with the back is the cracked veneer, wouldn't it be easier to replace the veneer?
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

poppy79424

We have done this before. I have a woodshop in my business. 25'x25' room dedicated to wood working and stain/painting. I got some 1/4" finished plywood like birch or something. I don't remember exactly. I didn't cut the design inside the back pieces. I just made the outside design without all the fancy design cut inside the pieces. It was 8 chairs. I cut them on the ban saw. Thats what the customer wanted. if he had wanted the interior of the piece cut out I probably would use a scroll saw