Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 05, 2024, 09:01:07 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

wrinkles in long cushion

Started by kodydog, August 09, 2011, 10:57:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbin

We have "Blazing Saddles" on DVD and one of the bonus features on the disc is the commentary by Mel Brooks during the movie.  As Gene pointed out he used racial stereotypes and pergoratives to underscore the abject stupidity of racism and bigotry.  He notes in that commentary that he used "the N word" correctly and that is why it was not considered particularly inflammatory.  We could say the same thing about some of the brilliant Saturday Night Live skits involving Richard Pryor, Eddie Murphy, Garrett Morris and the rest of the cast. 

Another of my all-time favorites is George Carlin.  But I digress.

(and yes, it did emerge with an "R" rating; I took Mum to see it after it was rereleased and the two of us sat in the theatre shrieking with laughter)

Steve at Silverstone Fabrics

Here is another term I used for the cause wrinkles.

I would tell the customer that "the fabric has poor yarn memory". I would go onto explain that some fibers, when put under pressure will stretch and will not return to it's original length without some "rubbing and patting".

One of the things I learned was to anticipate things that could happen before they happened. I would go over the issues with the customer prior to the start of the project.

I would always go over the possibility of wrinkles in long cushions. I would explain "yarn memory", making multiple cushions instead of one long one or adding buttons.

When ever I did a job with a velvet (especially a cotton velvet), I would explain about how it was the nature of the fabric to show "wear marks".......this is where the nap of the velvet gets crushed and does not lay down properly. I would explain that this was normal and how they could "fix" the issue with a steam iron and a stiff brush.

My point is this, I found it easier to explain all of the possibilities before the job was started, than it was to repair things once they were delivered.  Steve

alge

Funniest brief i have ever seen

to design and manufacture a "Paper processing surface with ancillary body support structure" erm that will be a desk and chair then.

kodydog

August 15, 2011, 10:14:59 am #18 Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 10:20:44 am by kodydog
Went to the ladies house Fri. As much as I hate to admit it she had a legit gripe. She was very understanding and knew there will be some wrinkling. I was going to fix it there but decided it needed more work. I'll take 1/2" of the back and sides of the casing. Take it out of its muslin liner and add some foam to the sides (Thanks Joy). Then wrap it with Dacron and put it all back together.
Bobbin I told her it'll be a little extra for the supplies and she was all peachy.

Steve thanks. It was COM and I"ll tell her what you said about the fibers. Maybe I'll drop your name and number  :o Just joking.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

bobbin

Good for you.  It's important to do the right thing once you've had a chance to look at something.  I find most people are pretty reasonable if you're straight with them. 

kodydog

Just finished reworking the cushion and boy is it nice and tight now. Looks good too. 2-1/2 hours labor, I'll eat it and the customer is going to love it. That's what its all about. On to the next project.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

baileyuph

Kody, as expected, you did the right thing.  I knew you would because you are a craftsman as well as a business man.  It will come back to you in more ways than one.

No doubt she will like it and she will tell everyone how great your work is and how nice a business man you are.

I had a sofa with the same problem but it had two pretty long cushions. Oh, my situation wasn't something that I had covered, the customer bought it new and I drew up the analysis for her to send back to the factory.  I reported the problem and what was needed to fix the problem, she faxed it to the factory.  She said she hoped I would get the job of fixing it, but I explained to her that it would be cheaper on the factory if they fixed it.  I just drew up a lot of measurements of the cushions and the opening and presented the new cushion measurements that would take care of the problem.  So far, they paid me for that and I assume that I am out of the picture.

Glad you got yours resolved, now you feel good and are ready for the next wave of work.

Doyle