Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 05, 2024, 07:22:31 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

wrinkles in long cushion

Started by kodydog, August 09, 2011, 10:57:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

kodydog

Last week I delivered a small sofa with one wide cushion in the seat. Customer called this morning saying when she gets up from siting in it, she sees wrinkles.

I told her I would come and wrap it with Dacron. I also told her this is typical for a cushion this size and its difficult to give enough "push" to the foam to keep the wrinkles out and still make the cushion look good. Usually I tell them this when I pick it up, but this time I forgot.

One other option could be to make two cushions out of the one. Should this be a freebee?
Any other ideas? I'll see her Friday. Thanks.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

bobbin

I don't think it should be a "freebie", your time is your time and the batting isn't free, either, a reasonable person would understand that.  Maybe you could work out a "deal" with her since you forgot to tell her about the possibility of wrinkles, but I don't think I'd offer it unless she's pissy or asks you.  Wait and see what she wants. 

sofadoc

If I'm not mistaken, I think you said that you work out of your garage. So you may not want customers coming into a residential neighborhood.
But since I'm in a commercial building, I would tell her that I'll wrap it for free IF she brings it in.
I would tell her that if she can go run some errands, and come back in an hour, it will be ready.
This way, you're only out about 10-15 minutes of your time, and a few dollars worth of batting.
I'm only saying this because you said that you feel partially responsible for not warning her about the possibility of wrinkles.
Otherwise, I'd be more inclined to agree with Bobbin.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

alge

I don't see why you should soak up all the cost, were you copying the original cushion set up or was this a custom make from scratch?

If it was a like for like recover why should you change the spec. for free? good will has a price too.

kodydog

August 10, 2011, 06:13:50 am #4 Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 09:37:46 am by kodydog
Thanks everyone for the advice.

The customer is the MIL of a good, long standing client of ours. Shes also very friendly and easy to get along with. I want to do right by her as she has more work.

When I finished upholstering the sofa I put the old cushion in and it fit good, so I used it for a pattern.
The new cushion also fit good and when I sat in it I noticed a few wrinkles but they smoothed right out with my hand.

I'll charge her for the materials but not my time as its on the way to some other appointment's. Should take less than 1/2 hr.

When I Googled this there were quite a few complaints about this problem. The manufacturers call them comfort wrinkles. Maybe if I give it a cute name it'll make her feel better.

Joys Shop

I had the same problem with a customer
they kept insisting that the cushion didn't do this before (it had one cushion when I picked it up)

I took it back, and added some more padding in the ends to try to tighten it
but
now that I think about it
The reason it didn't do it before, is all the POOF had come out of the cushion due to use over the years,
when I redid it, I added new poof
hence
"comfort wrinkles"

I like that term  :D

sofadoc

The guy that came up with "comfort wrinkles" must be the same guy who coined the term "Pre-owned", instead of "used".
How about "Character sounds" instead of "squeaks"?
"Rustic charm" instead of "worn out"?
There's also "Distressed leather" instead of "flawed leather".
I'm not short, I'm just "vertically challenged".
Don't you love this age of non-offensive, politically correct buzzwords?

bobbin

NO! I hate it and I still use "fat" and "retarded".  And my favorite movie will always be "Blazing Saddles".   :o

sofadoc

Hey, I got one for lumpy cushions. How about "Luxury lumps"?

Blazing Saddles was a classic. And it was the LAST movie where I had to show my I.D. to get in.

kodydog

I guess there's no question where that movie got its name. Was Blazing saddles rated R?

Here's one for you sofa. I still get updates from job search sites. Guess what a Facilities Coordinator is?

sofadoc

August 10, 2011, 07:45:22 pm #10 Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 07:50:14 pm by sofadoc
Quote from: kodydog on August 10, 2011, 06:59:22 pm
Was Blazing saddles rated R?

I don't remember what the rating system was then, but you had to be 18 to get in without a parent.
Quote from: kodydog on August 10, 2011, 06:59:22 pm
Guess what a Facilities Coordinator is?

Janitor?

kodydog

sofadoc

I think that from now on, anytime I have to state my occupation on any form, I'm going to call myself a "Relaxation technician".

Another example "perky-positive" terminology is when you see the term "Team Member", or "Sale's Associate" on an employee's badge.
That's just a polite way of saying "One of the cattle".

kodydog

Quote from: bobbin on August 10, 2011, 05:44:28 pm
NO! I hate it and I still use "fat" and "retarded".  And my favorite movie will always be "Blazing Saddles".   :o

I was watching Blazing Saddles on network TV once. they had to edit out some parts to make it suitable for all audiences. I couldn't believe they edited out the fart noises in the "eating beans around the campfire" scene.
The cowboy would lift a cheek and no noise would come out. It was pitiful.

gene

August 11, 2011, 06:07:32 pm #14 Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 06:10:15 pm by gene
Folically challenged?  Bald.

Gravitationally challenged?  Fat

I don't think it would be a good idea to use 'comfort wrinkles' or 'luxury lumps' in reference to a woman.

I loved the turtles singing! (In Blazing Saddles.)

Mel Brooks used the N word to point out the stupidity of racism. Today our politically correct society won't let us use the N word in order to foster and increase racism.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!