Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 15, 2024, 12:54:46 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Sea Ray boat seat upholstery

Started by florida girl, January 25, 2011, 09:02:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

florida girl

I received an inquiry about doing a job on a 1984 Sea Ray Sundancer replacing the seating.  They are located about 68 miles from me, and it needs to be done from scratch.  Replace the frame and everything.  I've searched and searched, but am at a loss to find any specifics for those seats.  Any suggestions?

Mike8560

Try looking at boat trader and yacht word sites that sell boats you should be able ro dint some pictures.

florida girl

I have Googled and looked everywhere, but haven't found patterns.  The only way I can see is to physically go and measure the boat.  Due to the distance, I told her to measure length and width herself and should be able to estimate a price without having to drive over there.  She had said if the price is right, there would be other projects to do.  Frustrating!

scottymc

Quote from: florida girl on January 26, 2011, 11:39:52 am
  She had said if the price is right, there would be other projects to do.  Frustrating!

I would be wary of an attitude such as that, dangling a carrot so to speak. Don't waste to much time on her she is probably using the same carrot on every other upholsterer in an 80 mile radius. Get her to email a photo with measurements and give her a ball park figure before you lift a finger for her.

florida girl

Quote from: scottymc on January 26, 2011, 11:58:36 am
Quote from: florida girl on January 26, 2011, 11:39:52 am
  She had said if the price is right, there would be other projects to do.  Frustrating!

I would be wary of an attitude such as that, dangling a carrot so to speak. Don't waste to much time on her she is probably using the same carrot on every other upholsterer in an 80 mile radius. Get her to email a photo with measurements and give her a ball park figure before you lift a finger for her.

Thanks!

JuneC

Boat trader had one 1984 Sundancer on there - might even be this same boat since the seats are missing.  Have the owner send you pics of the cockpit. 

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1984-SEA-RAY-340-Sundancer-97430351

For older "project" boats, owners usually want a SUPER deal.  If they only spent $8K for the boat they cringe at spending $8K for new seats.  And to build a complete cockpit from scratch (unless it's a little 24') that's a rough guesstimate of what it would take.  Probably more by the time you factor in measuring/cutting/building plywood or starboard frames, finding/buying aluminum/stainless fittings, cutting/shaping foam, sewing/installing covers, installing finished seats in boat.  That's probably a $10-12K job for a 26 to 32 footer unless all they want is a transom bench and a captain's chair. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

bobbi campbell

If you go to sea rays web site and go to the archives you can download the specs. I sent you the page to your e-mail.

florida girl

I replied that because she was about 70 miles from me that if she could take a photo, measure length and width, I could come up with a cost of labor.  Adding fabric, foam, and structure if needed.  She replied:

QuoteApparently you misread the ad. I am looking for the entire seat because mine is missing. If I had the seat I could redo it myself, but you offered to make the seat. I assumed you had the pattern for the seat, frame ect. thanks.

Peppy

☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering

florida girl

scarab29

I'd tell her I can copy what you have , if you have nothing that is what you will get.
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

Peppy

Quote from: florida girl on January 26, 2011, 05:33:31 pm
Quote from: Peppy on January 26, 2011, 05:22:11 pm
She's nuts. RUN AWAY!!!!!

Thanks!

Just to qualify that a bit...Where are you going to find a bench like that? Could a boat have sank and the front seat miraculously floated to the surface? Do people collect front seats of 1984 Sundancers? I would be shocked if a pattern existed. You could probably search for a thousand years for one. But you probably could build a seat in a week. I say Junes right. $8000. For the front seat. The bench with the flip down back with the cupholders in it. If she said yes then I'd really be scared.

kodydog

QuoteIf I had the seat I could redo it myself

I love people who tell me, I'd do it myself if I knew how. Give me a break.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Peppy

Quote from: kodydog on January 26, 2011, 07:31:25 pm
I love people who tell me, I'd do it myself if I knew how. Give me a break.

Oh, but you don't understand, "I" was an electrician*!....

*or any other trade

Mike8560

I woulndt wayste my timewhen she said she could
redo it ,right how would that lookbut she dosent have the frames