Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:36:07 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Furnitue Work

Started by baileyuph, December 16, 2019, 07:15:53 am

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

The China made stuff is breaking down fast and some want it repaired because they are guessing
new would also.

Sewing and patterning tech has changed.  Their work may be cheap but it is assisted by automated
equipment at factory level.

Do what consumers want!

Doyle

kodydog

Sometimes figuring out what the customers wants is the hard part. Sometimes what the customer wants can't be done. Some jobs aren't worth the trouble and best to send them on down the road.

The reason patterning techniques have changed is because manufactures are constantly trying to cut production times. If they can cut 10 minutes off an upholstered sofa they will. Notice the absence of skirts on most modern furniture. Elastic webbing replacing springs. Cushions with decorative fabric on one side and vinyl on the other.

I reupholstered two chairs today, simple wicker chairs with screw in seats. Except the seats were not screwed in but Velcroed in place. Then the cover was not stapled on but glued on. I'm thinking the goal was to have no power tools in the plant. Just when you think they can't make furniture any cheaper you come across chairs like this. The customer wants cheap but we have to stick to our prices. We have to make a living and if they don't like it they can lump it. I don't even know what that means, but it sounds good.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

baileyuph

Furniture Repairs - There is work in that area.

I was pretty well loaded with repairs leading up to the holiday.  The work was mainly repairs to new
- customers wanted it if it could be done for the holidays.  Sew this - sew that or repair - whatever
can be done to make things look better for the season.

Actually, by offering the service when customer interest is - get it done for an occasion.  I didn't expect them to get me rich on this work (but do we get rich on conventional jobs - the time on that work
mounts up), didn't get rich but made over $300/day - using my mobile equipment/facilities.  Turns out
it is a lot more efficient for me to go to their home (once) and go to the next in home service.

Look at the way of our economy - order a lot of their stuff from home and have it delivered.  I admit, my
way of doing/buying could use some updating.

Anyway, hope all had a "Merry" and a prosperous coming year.  Sounds like Mojo is still on the move.

Doyle