Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2024, 09:30:33 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

New Die Snap System for You Marine Folks

Started by Mojo, February 18, 2013, 05:25:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

I can see where this would be handy for Marine people who need to set snaps in places far from the edge that a Hoover tool cannot reach.

No idea what Sailrite charges for these dies.

Here is the video on the use of these dies. Pretty simple and cool that they screw into a regular rivet tool. 

http://video.sailrite.com/SnapRite-System-Dies/youtube.html

Chris

Tejas

According to sailrite.com, the price without a rivet tool is just under $80. Watching the video, I wondered if dies for grommets might be possible.
Dave

Juki 1508; Bernina 217 with CAM Reader

Grebo

Nice idea, handy addition to the tool bag.
But them your stuck with buying SR snaps.  :(

Suzi

fragged8

I cant be fiddling around with all those parts on a boat with only 1 hand free
I think i'll stick to the press n snap.

JuneC

Generally, when snaps have to be installed from the edge it's for holding up a tent pole in the middle of a cover or some similar application - one or two snaps and you're done.  No special tools are required to put a snap in a 6" circle of scrap Herculon or Strataglass then sew the patch under your cover in the correct position before installation on the boat.  It's a good idea, but I think they're trying to solve a problem that doesn't really exist.  There are loads of workarounds (including hammer and anvil setting tools for manual installation that cost about $1.50).

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

JDUpholstery

I used the hammer and anvil method for quite a while before I bought a press and snap....all those parts just seemed like more work than it needs to be

regalman190

No way! I can't even imagine trying to use this while installing snaps on an enclosure, or cover for that matter. First, it's too many steps to go through, then you have to worry about that lower die set falling into the water every time.

Like Rich, I'll stick to the Pres-n-Snap.
Regal Canvas

Mike

you said too many steps regal yes I agree back when I was in NH   probably 15 years ago there was this old canvas guy who used to do a  few cover at the marina across from me. I watched one day from across the road , when I install snaps on a cover  the cover on the boat I I install the snap and snap it on usualy I can eye where it goese and install , well this guy marked a dot on the cover then took a hole punch made a HOLE THEN LOADED A PRESS N SNAP TOOL AND SET THE SNAP.  fyi for those that dopnt know the snap will install and make its own hole. a thing I do now hanging on the side of a boat or sitting on the lift beam it v=can be hard to see where I need a snap as if I was standing on the ground so I mark the stud with a crayon then hold the canvas down to transfer the round mark for my snap now I can easily see where it needs to be .