Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 15, 2024, 09:06:01 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Tack Driver

Started by Mojo, February 16, 2013, 05:19:09 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

Anyone watched the new tack driver video attached to the ad Ken placed on the top of the forum page ?

I never knew they had this driver, which isnt saying much since I do not do fiurniture. Pretty cool tool. Anyone ever used one ?

Here is the video - http://www.uffytools.com/TH-T-DECO1.html

Chris

Mike

sofadoc

We've discussed that very tool here before. You guys were probably busy having one of your wild sex orgies. ;)

The great thing about that particular nailer is, it allows you to load your own individual nails into a canister. You use the same nails that you would normally drive with a tack hammer, while most other pneumatic decorative nailers require a magazine strip of nails that don't match your individual ones. So you're stuck buying special nails that are different from the old standards.

The difference between men and boys?............The price of their toys. :D
I salivate over a tool like that one. But for a small non-production speed one-man shop, I can't justify the cost.

It looks like a wonderful tool. I just wish the guy in the video would've used it properly in his demo. He shot a few nails crookedly into a bare piece of wood, then shot some erratically onto a padded back of an office chair. He makes the tool look like it would be difficult to control. I'm sure that's not the case if it were being demo'ed by an experienced user.
I mean, if you want to sell the tool, put it in the hands of a professional on an appropriate piece of furniture.

I want to make a proposal to the Uffy company. Send me a free one, and I'll make you a kickass video. ;)
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

gene

February 16, 2013, 06:21:12 am #3 Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 06:24:40 am by gene
I did watch the video. And I remember our discussion on this forum about it. It seems that I am the only one who is able to have a discussion, and a wild sex orgy, at the same time.

That gun costs $596. When I was watching the video on youtube, there is another video with another gun that looks like the nails are fed through a big flexible tube. That gun is $7,000.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11YdEM9Jx5w

If I bought either of those guns I would be trying to put decorative nails in everything, just to try to recover the cost.

I noticed the same thing, sofaD, regarding the guy doing a poor job of nailing. And I did wonder how difficult it would be to use.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

Here's one I took in the other day. It looks like the last guy might have used the Uffy nailer........from 10 feet away. :o

Darren Henry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=rQXvKoR5TtU&feature=endscreen

if I did that right; it's a link to Aplus es version of the Uffy. Much better video.I noticed toward the end that the nail actually sticks out of the nose of the gun. Watch the guy put the tacks back in the old holes in the last scene.

At 7 cfm it's quite the air pig. Most 5 horse compressors only give you about 5 cfm at 90 psi.

The only other nailer I've seen was when I checked out that job in Alberta when I closed up a few years ago. The nails where on a plastic strip about 16" long and the magazine curled around the gun like a french horn.He had paid $3000 and preloaded strips were only available out of Italy.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

sofadoc

Quote from: Darren Henry on February 16, 2013, 08:36:19 am
At 7 cfm it's quite the air pig. Most 5 horse compressors only give you about 5 cfm at 90 psi.
Glad you brought that up. I had forgot that in our previous discussion. Since air is constantly flowing through the canister, you better have a big tank, or the compressor is going to run non-stop.

byhammerandhand

My eyes, my eyes!  :o :o :o :o

I've only done a handful of decorative tack jobs, but I'd be interested to know how everyone keeps them in line and spaced right.    I've sort of settled on using a little gizmo that I got years ago when I made a mail order (pre-internet) hardware order and they sent along a couple of brad holders (pre-pneumatic brad nailers, too).   It works nice because I can hold it in position and use the guide as a "reference surface" from the edge of the piece.  And it keeps my big ol' fingers out of the way.

Quote from: sofadoc on February 16, 2013, 07:13:17 am
Here's one I took in the other day. It looks like the last guy might have used the Uffy nailer........from 10 feet away. :o

Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

kodydog

Quote from: sofadoc on February 16, 2013, 07:13:17 am

Several years ago I did a job for the Elks. I was a member so the labor was free with the understanding some members would help. I stretched the fabric on and taught them how to hammer the brass nails. I showed them how to tap one way or another to get them to line up. The job turned out amateurish for sure, but not nearly as bad as your picture.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Darren Henry

QuoteI've sort of settled on using a little gizmo that I got years ago

I bought one of those (or similar at least) where you stuck the 5-6 ? nails into the grooves and go to town. I went back to just laying it out with a nice sharp piece of chaulk. If it's a large run I'll cut a paper template of 5-6 notches at the appropriate intervals for spacing and and use my finger as a guide to draw my "line".
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

sofadoc

Quote from: kodydog on February 16, 2013, 05:45:04 pm
The job turned out amateurish for sure, but not nearly as bad as your picture.
The lady that brought that piece in is one of my regular customers. I gave her an estimate on it about a year ago. She didn't want to pay that much, so she found a relative who claimed to do upholstery.

She was embarrassed for me to see it. And as it turned out, the relative only saved her about $100 off my original estimate.

Quote from: Darren Henry on February 17, 2013, 07:53:32 am
QuoteI've sort of settled on using a little gizmo that I got years ago

I bought one of those (or similar at least) where you stuck the 5-6 ? nails into the grooves and go to town. I went back to just laying it out with a nice sharp piece of chaulk. If it's a large run I'll cut a paper template of 5-6 notches at the appropriate intervals for spacing and and use my finger as a guide to draw my "line".
I never liked that gizmo. I ended up keeping it in my truck to scrape the ice off my windshield.

byhammerandhand

Sofadoc,
1. You get snow in Houston?
2. This is probably not the gizmo you're thinking of.

There is a "handle" about 3/4" x 1" x 1/4"  in the center.   Out both ends is a split arm about 1/4" x 1/4" with different size holes in it.

I tried to post a photo, but the site keeps telling me it can't find the upload path???

Then I tried to find it on the internet.   The only ID on it is DBGM - a search on this gets "Depressed Black Gay Men" and a company that makes beer steins. :(
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

sofadoc

Hammer:

1) Dallas.......not Houston
2) Here's the gizmo that I'm talking about:
http://www.csosborne.com/no777.html

kodydog

Quote from: byhammerandhand on February 17, 2013, 04:23:13 pm

The only ID on it is DBGM - a search on this gets "Depressed Black Gay Men"

Isn't depressed and gay an oxymoron.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Darren Henry

the one I have (had ??) is like the one doc posted. Kind of embarrassing to have a Texan point out it makes a good ice scraper. I should have known that.