Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 17, 2024, 11:13:11 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Primer on Glazing

Started by byhammerandhand, January 26, 2015, 02:44:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

byhammerandhand

Glazing is one of my favorite techniques in wood finishing.  To match or shift colors during finishing, refinishing or touch up, add highlights or special effects, it's easy to do and hard to beat

https://gallery.mailchimp.com/85f44c62cf7023fd358e2dc03/files/Glazes.pdf
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

SteveA

A lot of great information -
I think years ago glazing was more popular.  I remember every metal door in Bronx apartments where I often worked were faux finished to look like wood grain figuring. Mahogany furniture was bleached and glazed to look like fruitwood.  Folks were trying to get away from the red -

Spraying colors and toners will never match the warmth of a hand glazed piece - it's unfortunate many don't practice the art of glazing regularly - they are lazy - and toners are too easy.

What is your favorite formula and medium if you're mixing a glaze ?
What other topics have you written about ?
Thanks for posting !

SA

byhammerandhand

I make my own w/b glazes.   I have white, black, red, blue, and yellow UTCs that I mix into a glaze base that's propylene glycol (also doubles as a wiping stain retarder).  I started off with a couple of formulas and experimented variants after that. After failed attempts, I bought another jar of raw umber UTC for when I need that.

I bought a eight pack of oil-based glazes for touch up work - white, black, vandyke, raw and burnt umber, raw and burnt sienna, cordovan.   I use these for touch ups as one of my customers used to carry a lot of glazed stuff.   For in-shop work I have some warm brown, vandyke, burnt umber, and raw umber that I all bought pre-mixed.   My "guy" got his paint store closed and moved on.   But I used to be able to call and ask for a gallon of VanDyke and he'd just say he'd have it ready that afternoon.

If you want to see some photos and techniques of glazing, see if you can find this book by my friend,
http://www.amazon.com/Perfect-Wood-Finishing-Made-Easy/dp/1558704604/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422383697&sr=8-1&keywords=wood+finishing+noble
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

SteveA

I never tried water based - I use the universals in acrylic paint.  I really like the oil for glazing and it is the only one I use.  Mostly van dyke and burnt umber.  This subject isn't doing well here yet chair arms and crest rails from the 70's 80's need some glazing to match up when the chair goes out for its new upholstery.  The whole chair doesn't always need refinishing - you would think a more popular thread ?   FWW is dead - I see you do post over in another community more focused on finishing - but keep sowing seeds here and maybe others will kick it up !

Glazing - staining on top of a finished surface - it's a forgiving technique because if the color isn't right you can wash it off. An assorted color 8 pack is an inexpensive kit to start with -

SA