Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 03, 2024, 11:56:09 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Help ! Sails.

Started by Grebo, November 05, 2014, 03:06:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Grebo

I don't normally touch any kind of sail work, I neither have the knowledge or the space, but this customer of mine has two sails that need the leach lines replacing. Does any body have any experience of doing this ?

Thanks

Suzi

Mike

The only
Member ive seen with sail knoledge is bob t who does sailboard sails

Tejas

I do not have experience. However, the following Sailrite link covers the leach line as part of replacing sacrificial cover on a jib.

http://www.sailrite.com/Installing-Sacrificial-Cover-Made-With-Sunbrella-Video
Dave

Juki 1508; Bernina 217 with CAM Reader

Grebo

Bob T

Usually on a leach line (line at the rearmost edge of the sail, the string breaks.  If possible,  un-do the binding until you can get to the broken string, then attach the new string to the old string then use the old string to pull the line to where it terminates at the top of the sail.

Bob T

Replacement leech strings can be purchased at: http://www.challengesailcloth.com/hardware/catalog12.pdf

Look on page 118 for leechline!

Grebo

Thanks Bob, I have now looked at one of the sails & I think the edge binding needs replacing. The line is not broken but it's jamming in the sleave.
Doesn't look to painful a job & I think my Sailrite should be able to handle the zig zag.

Suzi

forsailbyowner

Bainbridge is a good supplier of leech tapes and all stuff sail related.

Bob T

The last time I checked with Bainbridge, they had a "minimum dollar order amount" which made doing business with them out of the question. 

cthomps

Hello,  I thought I would jump in here and try and help.  I do some sail work and have repaired leach lines, added and repaired roller fullers, and have  repaired several sails.  I use an electrical fish tape to fish new leach lines.  You may have to loosen the batten pockets or anything else in the way accomplish this.  If you have to replace the tape, I purchase the pre-cut from Sailrite. Yes you pay retail, but if it is a one shot deal it is easiest.  Also their customer service is superb and they will help you with anything.  I just bill it out and do not mark it up.   Your LSZ-1 should handle it.  It is actually what the machine was invented for.  It is what I use.  It may be tough going in the reinforced corners. There can be upwards of 6-10 layers of sailcloth. Hopefully you have the monster wheel.  Make sure you use UV resistant thread and set to the widest and longest zig zag.  Less holes.  If you need help, email me some pictures, and I may be able to provide more assistance.  I also have all of the books.  LOL  Good luck  Carol
"Trying to make a living, one stitch at a time."

JuneC

Sailrite has a wholesale branch called "Lowell Distributing".  They discount the retail price for people with a resale certificate.  Inquire if you buy from them regularly.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Grebo

November 20, 2014, 03:29:23 am #11 Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 03:33:53 am by Grebo
Thanks Carol, just trying to source the cord locally. Fortunatly the old line is still in place, but needs replacing as it gets stuck, probably down to a couple of wear holes through the edging. Didn't think of the batten pockets, I better go have another look at the sail now.
I was going to use the V92 Uv antiwick thread, which I use on most of my marine jobs. Yes I have the Monster wheel :-)

Suzi

cthomps

Sometimes the sleeve can be repaired instead of replaced.  I would consider putting some chafe protection where it is rubbing either way.  Traditionally it is a light weight white/gray leather or a couple additional pieces of Dacron (sail cloth). If you need to replace the sleeve, you will also need the double sided sail tape.  It is worth the money.  I have found that a new, sharp seam ripper allows me to slide it under the zig zag and make quick work to remove stitches.  Also be very careful with your choice of leach line.  Peoples lives depend on their sails.  You want tested, tried and true line.  One of the reasons I use Sailrite is that I know the supplies I purchase, are for the intended use. My knowledge is young, and I can say yes to customers knowing that if I don't know, the folks at Sailrite will help me. You can get an email back from them in a couple hours. I have even sent pictures.  There are plenty of wholesale suppliers out there, but since this is not my primary business source, I don't bother.  There are very few people up here WI, doing Sail and canvas work.  For me it is was well worth studding and offering it on a limited basis.  And no, I don't work for Sailrite. :)  Call if you need to.  715-556-4600
"Trying to make a living, one stitch at a time."

bobbin

Run! run away quickly!

I quote Nancy Reagan ("just say no) on three sorts of work:
1.)  sail work
2.)  pool covers
3.)  winter covers

Power to you, Grebo! I wouldn't touch that job with a ten foot pole!

Grebo

Know what you mean bobbin, but I thought this would be ok as it's just down one edge.
Any thing else is a straight no no.  :-)

Suzi