Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 03, 2024, 04:05:51 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Stainless steel grub screws ?

Started by Grebo, October 28, 2013, 02:10:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Grebo

Stainless steel grub screws for canopy fittings, they are probably imperial & in more than one size, any ideas where you can buy them loose ?

They are like hens teeth over here.

Suzi

JuneC

I had to google that.  Never heard of a "grub screw".  I've only ever heard of them as "set screw".  Lots of online vendors here carry them including amazon.com

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mike

on stainless I never trust the set screw to hold I drill and rivet

Grebo

That would help in looking for them, then June,  :)
I 've always know hem as grub screws & so has the OH who's an engineer.
Off to amazon......
I don't usually do much messing about with frames Mike, screws will do fine for me.

Suzi

Mike

suxi the reason is the grub screw doent bite well in to the stainless so it will ot hold wel lunder strees ive seen a binimi suppert leg come loose in ruff seas and the pipe damaged some upholstery got forbid a person if you did the work. if I could use a stainless rivet or set screw / grub screw id drill a hole in the pipe in the set screw hole in the fitting and use a stainless screw larger then the drilled hole naturally

Grebo

Point taken Mike.
Some of these frames are pretty massive.

Suzi

Allan

November 05, 2013, 01:04:44 am #6 Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 01:06:09 am by Allan
Suzie

Grub screws and set screws are two different things
An engineering store or speciality bolt shop should do the trick
304 stainless will do above waterline
You might try ebay too
As for grip for the grub screw, drill a dimple before setting the screw

Allan

Grebo

Allan

November 05, 2013, 02:03:15 pm #8 Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 02:03:56 pm by Allan
If the grub screw comes loose you can use a thread locking compound like loctite or if you have the room you can use two grub screws using one as a locking screw

Allan